Last night in heavy rain I was woken by rain dripping onto my pillow. It was coming down the Hi-Lo roof bolt-down hole. Heavy rain was filling the gutter quicker than it could drain and the level filled above the height of the tube lip. 5am I was up packing with towels to catch it and noticed the front one over the passenger seat had also been doing so for ages onto the seat and into the storage box and out of the door step. Any one else experienced this and got a solution. Seems to be a bad design. Its bound to happen in heavy rain. Thinking of taking out the bolts at night and plugging the holes from outside somehow. Any thoughts?

You should have been given a set of plugs with the roof to do exactly that.

Ok great thanks Deaky. Bought it as used conversion but will try to get some from Hi-Lo or just make some. Thanks.

I have to say my HiLo has been faultless so far since it was fitted at the end of April.

It gets used every weekend and survived a very wet weekend a few weeks back.

I guess there's an issue with either the fitters or the quality of the kit leaving the factory, maybe even both?

With hindsight I'd have been better putting £7k towards a new caravan, but for a quick night away here and there it does the job.

Last night in heavy rain I was woken by rain dripping onto my pillow. It was coming down the Hi-Lo roof bolt-down hole. Heavy rain was filling the gutter quicker than it could drain and the level filled above the height of the tube lip. 5am I was up packing with towels to catch it and noticed the front one over the passenger seat had also been doing so for ages onto the seat and into the storage box and out of the door step. Any one else experienced this and got a solution. Seems to be a bad design. Its bound to happen in heavy rain. Thinking of taking out the bolts at night and plugging the holes from outside somehow. Any thoughts?
@AndyVanT6, these are the rubber bungs that you use. You pull the locking bolts out from the underside, then push these down from the top.
79E9B000-F4D5-4D4E-85E5-AE979435D3A4.jpeg

Would like to get a rising roof next year and was keen on HiLo partly for the looks but mainly for the advertised roof rack loading.
Can I just confirm what you have put here about bungs? When you put the roof up you have to go up top and push bungs in the holes to stop it leaking? Doesn’t sound like a good plan for Scottish weather.
Looks like Jerba might win this one even if looks like a boat on the roof.

Would like to get a rising roof next year and was keen on HiLo partly for the looks but mainly for the advertised roof rack loading.
Can I just confirm what you have put here about bungs? When you put the roof up you have to go up top and push bungs in the holes to stop it leaking? Doesn’t sound like a good plan for Scottish weather.
Looks like Jerba might win this one even if looks like a boat on the roof.
I don’t go up on roof and do it, I can locate them without my feet leaving terra firma. I am in Largs, Scotland, at the moment and last night it lashed it down for many hours; nothing leaked past the bungs.

If you want a low profile roof, have a look at the Skyline Aurora that they've just brought out, vacuum formed with stainless strengthening inserts and a cam locking mechanism, TUV approved as well.

What I liked about the Hi-Lo was the extra headroom at the low end. I once hired a T5 Which had a roof that went from nothing to about 1m which meant that your feet touch the roof and you don't have the choice to have your head the other end. The extra space up there makes a big difference. Yes mine has its problems too with leaks in the corners where the canvas folds (sorted with black silicone) but overall I'm happy with it. The missing bungs issue can be sorted and I agree they can be inserted by reaching from ground level if you are approaching 6' tall. I also like having the roof rack.

Last edited:
What I liked about the Hi-Lo was the extra headroom at the low end. I once hired a T5 Which had a roof that went from nothing to about 1m which meant that your feet touch the roof and you don't have the choice to have your head the other end. The extra space up there makes a big difference. Yes mine has its problems too with leaks in the corners where the canvas folds (sorted with black silicone) but overall I'm happy with it. The missing bungs issue can be sorted and I agree they can be inserted by reaching from ground level if you are approaching 6' tall. I also like having the roof rack.

Surely there are plenty of poptops with decent lift at the back nowadays? I think it’s only the old style ones that hinge straight from the back?

If you want a low profile roof, have a look at the Skyline Aurora that they've just brought out, vacuum formed with stainless strengthening inserts and a cam locking mechanism, TUV approved as well.

Interesting. Any pics?

And we have a new leader in Farnorthsurfer’s hunt for a pop top. Thanks @Grim Reaper.
They are claiming 100kg roof loading on the web site page and full TUV testing. Replaceable canvas, and lots of the latest features. Will need to do more research but this one definitely ticks all the boxes.

Another one to my now short list of 2 as I have eliminated HiLo
Stealth
Skyline Aurora

So today I’ve collected my van form HiLo factory after they have corrected all the fitting issues. I’m pleased to say that it no longer leaks and there are no more rubs, clicks creaks or squeaks whilst driving.

The canvas had not been sealed correctly by VanDoc in a number of places. The sealer was not applied correctly between the hinge and the canvas, it didn’t go all the way down to the roof cassette and had a number of gaps through which water could get through - I believe HiLo have changed where the canvas fits against the hinge now and the hinge is sealed in the factory. At the front of my roof is a metal catch - VanDoc had sealed up to this both sides but not behind it, the canvas was leaking here too. Also the installer is supposed to remove the black paint to provide a key for the sealer around the canvas. VanDoc didn't do this as a consequence the sealer had lifted the paint from the metal cassette allowing water underneath. According to the guy at HiLo, my roof was leaking in 7 different places.

They have also sorted a couple of other things. The front corners of the roof cassette that have a plastic trim over them were rubbing on the lid of the roof, undoubtedly this is what was causing various clicks and creaks as I was driving. I was told that the fitters should grind this down if it's too proud, the HiLo fitter also told me that the wrong size pop rivets had been used to attach my roof to the van and this was also causing the cassette to sit too high at the front.

The other issue I had was the paint rubbing off on the corner of the original roof just above the windscreen. An additional rubber anti whistle seal has been fitted across the width of the roof just behind the wind deflector, this has made the roof a lot quieter and lifted it slightly away from the original roof of the van.

I've seen a video of the roof with the drain holes blocked and the bolt holes blocked with the water trough around the canvass full of water. It was tested for half hour and showed no leaks.

On the way home the roof was completely silent, no squeaks on hitting a pot hole, no clicks or creaks going over speed bumps.

In conclusion I'd say the quality of the roof is all down to who's fitted it. Sure, the design is not perfect but it seems to be evolving all the time. I'd definitely go Hilo again if I was going to do it again, IMO it's the best looking stealth roof you can buy. :whistle:

Glad you have things sorted out @Deaky it must be a weight off your mind. The issue then is finding a good installer for HiLo? Do you know if they are doing installations in-house again?
Agreed that it looks the business from the outside but the new Skyline Aurora looks pretty good and perhaps has less compromises to achieve the low level look.
I won’t be buying until next spring and hopefully you will still be happy with your HiLo by then in which case they could still be on the list.

Back