H4 To H7 Upgrade

If they do away withe dark area in front of the van then VW should upgrade are vans . I can't see how h4s can pass all the test when they don't light up the road in front of the van

T5 was the same for both H4's and the Caravelle H7, a definite dark area.

I've recently taken the plunge and done the H4 to H7 upgrade on my van and have decided to document my journey. I'm no writer so please embrace my poor writing skills and hopefully let the photos do the talking.

After a call out with work I experienced driving on pitch black unlit roads for the first time, like many I was shocked at the lights. I personally didn't find the H4s dangerous but just a bit vague in places. I also hated the DRLs so was more than happy to take on change.

During my research I used a variety of resources and I shall include links below. I'm fully aware LEDs are the dogs dangle's but really my van doesn't have them and I cant afford upgrade so deleted them from my pipedream. Therefore currently the only real alternative are H7 and so many searches later I used these threads for advice to base my decision: (will add more as I come back across them)

H4 to H7

H4 swap for H7

Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

I asked loads of questions for various people that had done the change and also take their van apart for other projects so that I knew what I was letting myself in for and then placed my order in from the Forum shop: Genuine VW T6 Replacement Front Headlight Unit - H7
The whole process using the forum shop was awesome, Really fast Dispatch, Tracked, Well packaged and A1 Condition on arrival. Highly recommended and will be using for future projects.

Here is a photo of the start:
Photo 17-08-2017, 11 58 52.jpg

Bumper Removal:

Firstly was clearly the bumper removal and again some threads were used for information on this:

Front bumper removal

Headlight replacement (@Loz has attached a good guide within this thread for bumper removal)

Some key points that I found however:
IMG_0173.JPG
Behind this skin for the wheel arch is a plastic clip, Remove wheel for ease although can be done with in place. Remove the Two Torx screws and those irritating plastic trim clips and peel back.
IMG_0177.JPG
In this photo the bumper has been removed but it shows a hole from which I've removed one of those annoying plastic trim clips. This is done once the arch skin has been peeled back. Once removed you can then pull the bumper out to the side of the van to this state. The angle of this photo isn't quite right but it should give you an idea of what you're looking for.
IMG_0174.JPG
The hole at the bottom just becoming visible is the piece that needs to be released from behind the arch lining.

After that the guide that Loz posted in an attached thread will guide you through the rest with ease.

Headlight Swap:
Super simple, 4 bolts out, remove lamp and unclip connector.
Offer up new unit and clip in connector. Here I attached both lamps with one bolt finger tight and just tested the lights looking for errors on dash, Nothing at all appeared so tightened them all up.

Bumper is reverse of removal and easy.

Job done, cake and a brew are well deserved.

The comparison:
Photo 17-08-2017, 15 31 19.jpg
^
H4 on top H7 Below, Showing DRL's^

Photo 17-08-2017, 15 40 43.jpg
^H4 on top H7 Below, Dipped Beam^
Dipped Beam.jpg
^H4 on top H7 Below, Dipped Beam^
High Beam.jpg
^H4 on Top H7m Below, Full Beam^ The beams looks very narrow here in the photo, in reality there is illumination to the sides, enough for the human eye to see hedges,driveways etc, but not enough for the camera to pick up. It does however dememnstate that the H7 have a far better 'throw' and do allow you do see further afield.

Both lights were fitted with the correct fitment Osram Night Breakers and have thrown up no errors.

Conclusion:

Hopefully these make a good comparison, But please note these were recorded on a nextbase dash cam and are screen shots from a downloaded video. The H7 are a much better light and put you where I believe a standard headlight should be. I'm much happier with them and they also look better on the van. its a worth while upgrade in my eyes.

I've done my best to include all links that I've used when doing my conversion, I've gained advise from many and still welcome their input. If anyone has anything to add or believes deserves credit I'm more than happy to accept and acknowledge as I wouldn't have attempted this if it wasn't for the information gained on this forum. I hope the owners of the threads included don't mind, if you want them removed please let me know.
I'm more than happy to advise others on doing this mod but please not I'm not a mechanic or overly mechanically minded and can only advise on what I did rather than what you should do.

Last edited:
Great thread mate.

I just changed my bulbs in H4 for some +130's and I cant even tell the difference looking at them in the day lol

My knuckles are also shot!

I had to take the airbox out, however as my toolbox is at work I had to use a butter knife lol

Well done @Ed Webb, great thread and excellent comparison work. This along with the LED real world test thread will aid many people with (a) their choice should they want to swap out the H4's, but also enable folk that don't have the £ to go for the full LED retrofit with a useful alternative. :thumbsup:

Excellent work @Ed Webb , this is a great help to the majority owners like me that have H4 lamps and have to visit Ikea every winter for a bag of night lights !!
I think this next couple of weeks ill be buying some H7s myself and finding someone to fit them, Unfortunately don't have the confidence to do it myself, I've still got my CTEK split charger in its box as I don't fancy attempting that either :rofl:

@superflyguy I may be talking out of place so do forgive if so but it's worth grabbing a mate and tackling it yourself if you have time, it's an easy job and really rewarding.

@Ed Webb Its no problem, always an issue tracking people down, and I don't have many friends :cry:, something I may be able to do at work on a quiet Night shift !!

May have missed it somewhere @Ed Webb , due to being at work and extremely tired !! role on 7am. Are the H7 units DRLs adequate enough or are people swapping the lamps for leds ? like on the H4s.

Great thread, just done this upgrade myself a couple of weeks ago and installed new units with Philips 130% bulbs. What a difference driving by night, the best upgrade to a T6 which is running H4's
Besides LED but that doesn't suit a lot of budgets

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I hope it helps some make an informed decision about their H4's as visabilty is rather important when driving.
I'm sure eventually we will see some aftermarket stuff dribbling through but until then this does seem the best option, and also with the OEM look which I like.

@superflyguy The DRLs are a cheap bulb with a yellowish hue to them. They are bright enough but that yellow tinge isn't for me so I've dropped a white led in there. I'm really happy with the whole outcome.

Thanks for posting this @Ed Webb

Very tempting!

Can the bumper removal be done on a driveway without removing wheels? And is it OK for a single person to do, or is an assistant needed?

Back