Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters

BIgben

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Just thought this might give us a gauge to see if there is any real weight to the issue of the poor H4 headlights.
What do you guys think? Comment and vote if you feel strongly.

Well i registered my vote gotta do something soon or a stainless steel A bar and a pair of Cibie super Oscars will be the order of the day or a It will be like going back to 1974 when headlights were crap but a lot less traffic Of course the other option is a Mercedes Van i would rather see where i am going than end up in a ditch

I have voted but would like to say they are much better with the Phillips white vision in and van is running at 15 volts .
I would be happy to pay for a basic led upgrade if VW could come up with something at a reasonable price.

Well i registered my vote gotta do something soon or a stainless steel A bar and a pair of Cibie super Oscars will be the order of the day or a It will be like going back to 1974 when headlights were crap but a lot less traffic Of course the other option is a Mercedes Van i would rather see where i am going than end up in a ditch
4732546762_e271b20950_o.jpg
Need some of these then :sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've voted for the middle option - not because I refuse to stand up and be counted, but because I clearly think that the standard lights are unacceptable because I've gone and spent my own time and money to try to make them adequate.

I've voted for the bottom. My lights are that poor (even with upgraded bulbs) that I now hate taking the van out in the dark. I have perfect eyesight (confirmed at a recent occ health work check) and have never had any issues with driving at night, but I really do consider the standard H4 lights to be dangerous. I do think mine may be angled or set low, and have been in touch with the dealer to have them checked, but as yet they have not responded.

You make a good point there @surf-report for everybody that has lowered their van
As the light beam is angled down lowering the vehicle will shorten the throw of the light so defo worth adjusting them after any suspension adjustment

I do think the lowering hasn't helped @Pauly and need to get them checked. I can't recall if they were much better before the lowering as I remember not being impressed from first getting the van.

I have recently changed DRL's to 80w cree leds and I think if the beam was a better headlight pattern they would be brighter than the current h4's... they truest are pants, I've recently changed to a t6 from a caddy and had these philips zes cree h4's fitted to it and transformed the lights on it.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/152176816434?_mwBanner=1

The only issue I have with fitting these in the t6 headlight is the limited room inside for the decoder box

In truth that mini I posted had H4 bulbs admitidly they were 100watt so not legal but they are not a patch on the ones you have today. Back then they were brilliant. :)

I have recently changed DRL's to 80w cree leds and I think if the beam was a better headlight pattern they would be brighter than the current h4's... they truest are pants, I've recently changed to a t6 from a caddy and had these philips zes cree h4's fitted to it and transformed the lights on it.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/152176816434?_mwBanner=1

The only issue I have with fitting these in the t6 headlight is the limited room inside for the decoder box
Got any photos of the fit by any chance.As i have been asking this question for a while whats your opinion on them i would be grateful for any info you can give

I'm fairly happy with our H7s but our other vehicles have better lights and all cost far less.

However nothing compares to a Defender for terrible headlights; the only ones I've ever upgraded (but had to return to stock when I sold it).

I'm fairly happy with our H7s but our other vehicles have better lights and all cost far less.

However nothing compares to a Defender for terrible headlights; the only ones I've ever upgraded (but had to return to stock when I sold it).

Now I cannot believe there are headlights worse than the original Mini ones

Not cheep i agree but cheaper than the 16oo pounds VW want for led headlights and there are ways of making them anti theft

Back