External 240v hook-up options?

I'm Looking at getting a hook up and some sockets installed in my day van.
does anyone know the total cost roughly?
Its an easy DIY job, say £30 for a small consumer unit, £10 for an inlet socket, say £30-worth of good quality cable, a few metres of flex conduit (essential), £30-worth of sockets, total around £120? (ish)
If you have a leisure battery you might want to add a mains charger or power supply... say another £50

Reactions: JOG
Its an easy DIY job, say £30 for a small consumer unit, £10 for an inlet socket, say £30-worth of good quality cable, a few metres of flex conduit (essential), £30-worth of sockets, total around £120? (ish)
If you have a leisure battery you might want to add a mains charger or power supply... say another £50
Didn’t realise it was so cheap, only issue in have really is im useless when it comes to electrics .

only issue in have really is im useless when it comes to electrics .
If you can fit a mains plug you can do it, its only 3 wires - most of the work is threading & securing the conduit & cable, drilling cupboards for sockets etc (one tip - shell out for a proper, correct-size hole saw, it saves so much time and effort...)
The electrical side of it really is trivial. Split the cable into the 3 wires & connect to the hookup socket. Same at the consumer unit. Its all marked live neutral & earth so its hard to get it wrong. From there its 3 wires again to the socket(s). Honestly, you can do it, plenty of help here and elsewhere on that interweb.

I cut a small hole in the side of the van and then fitted a flush ish housing with a waterproof flap (pretty discrete if you paint to match) then on the rare occasion i might want a mains hookup i would just pass an RCD protected extension lead through - saves all hassle etc of having to put fuse boxes in van etc.
My van has solar and dont need to run 240v appliances so maains hook up was never a consideration.

I left an entire 15m roll of arctic cable and attached male end connector under the bonnet behind the headlight, tidy space for it there. You don't need to find somewhere in the van to keep the extension lead this way either. No fittings required and just a 15m hook up extension lead purchased. I've taken the female connector end off the cable that runs into the cab via the DSG cable rubber mount to under the passenger seat ready to terminate to a Charger/Inverter.

240v.jpg

240 route.jpg

I would be obliged if you could help me out here: I read that the consumer unit needs to be within 2m of the 240v hookup point.

Does the hook up connector have to be 2m from the consumer unit?

This would not be enough for what i had in mind, my consumer unit is at the back of the van near the hookup connector which is under the rear bumper. I would like to move the hookup point to under the bonnet beside the battery, I would guess that is about 5m of cable, is this 2m distance a must?

Many Thanks

I would be obliged if you could help me out here: I read that the consumer unit needs to be within 2m of the 240v hookup point.

Does the hook up connector have to be 2m from the consumer unit?

This would not be enough for what i had in mind, my consumer unit is at the back of the van near the hookup connector which is under the rear bumper. I would like to move the hookup point to under the bonnet beside the battery, I would guess that is about 5m of cable, is this 2m distance a must?

Many Thanks

I found a this document from the Caravan Club:

INFORMATION LEAFLET:
MAINS ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS (NOMINAL VOLTAGE 230V + 10% - 6% AC) IN CARAVANS AND MOTOR CARAVANS
This leaflet is prepared as a Club service. The contents are based on the British Standard 7671, 2001 (I E E Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition) incorporating amendments No 1 & 2, Part 6,

Which states:

4.04.01 Wiring - Caravan Inlet to Isolating Switch
This should be 3 core (each 2.5mm2) PVC/PVC flexible cable. An unbroken length not exceeding 2.0 metres is recommended. Unless routed in conduit or rigid plastic trunking the cable must be supported by insulated clips at intervals not exceeding 400mm for vertical runs or 750mm for horizontal runs.

I think I have been able to find an answer: Any thoughts that anyone may have would be great.

Cheers.

Last edited:
For me the potential issue on a long run of cable between the hook up point and the CU is the potential, even theoretical, for the cable to get cut leaving live wires touching the van. I assume this is why the guidance suggests running the cable in conduit. In theory the campsite CU would trip if this happened but who knows how reliable their wiring is. I know I’d rather have a 5m run in good conduit than 1 m with no conduit running through holes with no grommets- just my thoughts

I think you will find that Caravan regs do not apply. There is no such requirement in the section covering installations in vehicles.

Dear Travelvolts: many thanks for taking the time to reply I have had a look at your website. Thanks again.

kind regards Alan

Hi,

Is there a way to run an external EHU into the van and have all the doors and windows closed? I don't have a leisure battery or external plug and was hoping to just use my RCD EHU Cable with sockets.

I've searched the forum but couldn't find any ideas or suggestions.

Cheers

Russ

Most people would just crack the window open a bit and feed the cable through. ( on the least most used door)

The wind deflectors will stop any rain getting in.... I'f you haven't got wind deflectors grab some... they not to expensive.

I have a socket under the bonnet near the battery, there’s enough clearance for the cable with the bonnet closed. If you have a window open on an unattended van you’re insurance is void.

Back