External 240v hook-up options?

Google IP68 Aviation Connector, there are plenty of cheap ones. I’d put it under the bonnet rather than the wheel arch.

“I want to test the quality of the seals on my 240V power connection”

“OK, what you need to do is inject it with salt spray at 70mph”

“I’ve got an idea… Pass me that jack!”

Just to throw it out there, Defa miniplugs are very common in Finland. Here they're typically installed to front bumper and used for engine heater + socket indoors. Small size, spring loaded socket cover, armoured cable, earthing connection premade. Apparently kits can be had with UK lead as well.

@Doulsy - Just been looking at this unit again. According to the reviews on Amazon, I would need to buy an expensive cable (£150) from Victron also. Is this the case or can the normal EHU cabling be used?
Cable is was under a £100, I will try find my receipt, the cables are far better quality than the normal ecu, much easier to put away, also has a power light.

@Doulsy- OK. So to save me logging in to look. What would I need to order to fit the stainless steel power inlet?

You need a consumer unit, some 240v wire and a whole cutter to cut plastic panel. You can route 240 cable into the van without drilling any metal

Here mine… it’s rated at 20A /240V IP68
That bright blue cover/cap is gonna get a coat of starlight to match the van

702662CC-AC28-4CA4-8F39-957CC1AC43E0.jpeg

Without the cable in…
Must get it painted to match the van!

image.jpg

Reactions: Ozi
That’s a very tidy solution Rids. Much better than most external EHU points I’ve seen

The DEFA stuff is really neat - there’s a place in Strood that does the DEFA stuff at an eBay competing rate

Automotive Components | Energy Solutions

The inlet is only 24mm and easy to hide. I’ll post pictures of my build when I have all the bits and know where it’s going.

The majority of eBay suppliers are Eastern European or Scandinavian and the sockets are all Schuko style but comfortably take a cheapie euro to uk 3 pin adapter if you want to use them.

The only caveat - and it’s the same all over Europe - is that the live and neutral can become crossed. That’s because the Schuko plugs can be inserted two ways, rotated 180 degrees. Either check with a neon socket tester or mark the polarity on the sockets (use SWMBOs nail varnish or the blood of an enemy, whatever you can get away with).

I got SWMBO onboard by having her design a logo for when the EHU is attached that I’m now looking to get etched onto a dash blank I can back light for that oem ‘mines got the optional gold knob’ look

Last edited:
Back