I am interested in the Van X comfort dash. I understand that if I fit the lower dash as well as the glovebox then the USB port needs moving into the glovebox. Does anyone know how I do this and whether it is an easy DIY install to move the USB

Wow, there has been lots of work done to make your dashboards as VW should have done, but no mention of the colour MFD? I'll leave this here...

SAM_3933.JPG

Need a posh caravelle to get one of those

Its worth pointing out that the cluster is the Component Protection 'master' and holds immo data, swapping the cluster without odis/geko or similar will leave you with a van that wont start and a broken radio :(

I'm sure that a few years there was a fella that fitted a later colour Passat B7 colour MFD into his B6 dash cluster. Seeing as it's just a different MFD screen, it would be displaying the same information from the same sources, couldn't just the central screen be swapped without the need for complex coding?

Possibly i have no idea, i just wanted to point out the implications of such wonderous lure before someone dashes out to buy one
Its not uncommon in the retrofit world to swap dash clusters just needs someone who knows what they are doing

i've seen a company that do retrofit of the colour dash cluster.
about £900
at first i wanted it, but it think the b&W is more pleasant at night

i like the colour for the waning pop ups
unless you have turn by turn navigation from VW, not sure it is worth the effort

also, colour TFT have a shorter lifespan then LCD displays, especially at high temperatures

Yes, TFT 3D graphic cluster is first what i did after i got my new T6 .
unfortunately .....I order as much as I can but still Black / white cluster , no App and Voice command enable in my sat nav
But cluster swap, function enable in radio ;)

IT DON'T WORK
Omg I have spent hours at it trying to get that retched speaker cover to cover that horrid hole in top of dash and it just don't fit.
The angles curves and shape is defiantly different.
To the point I've totally mullered the speaker cover to try make it fit, I'll go get it and take a picture and post in a min !

The van x thing I think is the best and simplest option, but it will leave a lip all the way round which I don't like.
With hindsight and if I was doing it all again (which I'm Not !)
I would have ordered and edition or a kombi and taken it all apart and sold the bits.

I'm possibly going get the whole dash swapped to a caravellle one and be done with it !

I have lots of dash and other part comparison pictures if anyone is interested, I'm going to make a blog post with it all when I get 5 mins.
Hi, I’m about to swap my standard dash for the comfort version. Would you mind sending me a few pics over please? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks. It’s a t6 I’m putting the comfort dashboard in so just need any details on the swap. Happy to plod along on my own but always grateful for hints and tips.
Are you after some info on the bottle cooler and pull out draws etc or the full dash?

@Luke Martin I have just finished mine, but the lower dash is coming out again for a cab carpet fit (probably in Spring 21). Is this the upgrade you are asking about? see pic.8A91BE66-90D0-4AF6-A6DF-7DC41FB8F6AF.jpeg

@Luke Martin I have just finished mine, but the lower dash is coming out again for a cab carpet fit (probably in Spring 21). Is this the upgrade you are asking about? see pic.View attachment 96383
I’ll be swapping the complete dash and fitting the lower part as well. The chap from volkscraft had done this and was offering photos and tips for the swap. I’ve managed to get a complete kit from a California.

@Luke Martin Wow! That’s a bigger job than I would undertake. I opted for the ‘mongrel’ upgrade using a mixture of OEM and Van-x parts. I had my folding mirrors fitted at Professional Retrofits, he offered me a full dash conversion fitted for £3k+vat. Not sure how many parts can be reused tho. Good luck with it, why not run a separate threat of your progress? I am sure there a few problems you’ll over come that are worth sharing

@Luke Martin Wow! That’s a bigger job than I would undertake. I opted for the ‘mongrel’ upgrade using a mixture of OEM and Van-x parts. I had my folding mirrors fitted at Professional Retrofits, he offered me a full dash conversion fitted for £3k+vat. Not sure how many parts can be reused tho. Good luck with it, why not run a separate threat of your progress? I am sure there a few problems you’ll over come that are worth sharing

I was thinking about doing the same but saw the complete dash and managed to get it for £1500 which I thought was a good price for everything.
I build camper vans for a living and I’ve done a lot of modifications in my time so I thought I’d give it a go.
I’ll take lots of pics and post a separate thread on how it goes. I have a t6 dash that I bought a while back so that will show me where the fixings are at least.

@Luke Martin Depends what bit you'd like pics of, I have hundreds. Here's the dash stripped. It's not a bad job if you do interior work for a living anyway and are methodical. Cab carpet is required as the shape is different to meet the wider centre console, and the airbag module cover (plastic bit) is different which really helps and isn't expensive.

Dash out.JPG

Back