@andys

did you make any headway with this?

i was wondering if the two dash's are the same curvature/shape? any idea?
i have a poor-mans dash, and pretty much know that i will never be able to fit a comfort (my wife would kill me, so i wouldnt be here to profit from it!). But if i could make a lid and hinge it somehow i'd be happy.. have you managed to find bits like hinges etc? i dont know where to look for things like that... my suppliers are mechanical but not that small!

i have a friend who has his own carbon company so he could make a lid up for me if i gave him the shape..
I didn't I'm afraid, I have 2 different pop up Audi monitors (electronic riser and push to pop types) ready but ended up putting a halt to any further mods until I see whether I'll be able to keep the van or not.

question for all - the top cover on the comfort dash - the one that is hinged - could this fit a normal dash? ie the shape? i know that there are no connections there on a normal dash.. just wondering if i can buy one to get the shape, and then go from there?

@Pauly do you know the cost and part number for number 1 in this pic? im thinking to get this, and make it fit a non comfort dash - or is this a no-no?

@Pauly do you know the cost and part number for number 1 in this pic? im thinking to get this, and make it fit a non comfort dash - or is this a no-no?
I looked at doing this ,and decided too much work and would not be a good fit .
And if you make a mistake its a new dash .

I looked at doing this ,and decided too much work and would not be a good fit .
And if you make a mistake its a new dash .[/QUOT
The hardest part is the glove box but I think for the more factory look it’s worth it. I done the full line across air vents, clock surround ,head unit surround also the central console cost thick end of 1k. I had to keep that part quite from the wife!!

Last edited:
@carlg is it sure its not a good fit? Did you test this?

im not fussed by the glove box, its really the top lid that gets my goat at the moment..

even if i buy the part and just use it to mold the shape that would be interesting... depends on the cost of the part though!

or if someone with a comfort dash is willing to share the mold with me (for beer or other) i'd be very keen!

This will have one fitted and they are selling parts off it so probably will get it for a good price. I would like to say cheep but nothing is cheep for T6 even when it is used !!!

23E28F10-935B-4336-8E22-A21ADB228CB8.png

DA8E5C14-E48C-4711-A7B9-83885A39C938.png

@carlg is it sure its not a good fit? Did you test this?

im not fussed by the glove box, its really the top lid that gets my goat at the moment..

even if i buy the part and just use it to mold the shape that would be interesting... depends on the cost of the part though!

or if someone with a comfort dash is willing to share the mold with me (for beer or other) i'd be very keen!
No I didn't try it but spent a bit of time looking at ways to do it .
I did see a lid on german ebay .
He might of used the lid off the top tray .
He had a small frame which he had fixed in .
I have tried searching for it but can't find it .
I change my dash for a full comfort dash .

I want the lid too but its not going happen

Have you guys seen VAN-X are about to bring out a cover for it ? looks like a speaker cover that sticks and screws over the original tray !
I saw post on FB a while ago, but now can not find it. Sorry

I've taken a punt and bought the OEM speaker cover from VW
My van is with UBERBUS at mo, back in a couple weeks, soon as it is im going try fit ths cover, will involve cutting dash however, or i cut the lugs off the cover and bond to dash !
I'll post a pic of the cover here

i didnt even know that ^^existed... when you say you'd like the top try but its not going to happen - why not?

and fitting this mean you wont have a cover but more speakers? or am i confused?

would be interested in the top try part number - cant seem to find that!

Last edited:
I’ll sort part number for you tomorrow When get out receipt.

The OEM box and lid like on comfort dash won’t fit standard dash.
I hate the tray it’s useless.

I’m not good enough to make a hinge lid. So I bought the speaker cover.
Think caravelle owners can order a dynaaudio upgrade. It’s a couple of grand. But I found the top cover. Just to see if it will cover the tray.
First inspection looks like it will.
When get van back I’m going give it more time. I’ll loose use of tray but not bothered. I may cut the tray and sink an extra speaker in it first. Buy the van x Matt glove box and extend the usb charger from top tray to glove box. Or not. Don’t know yet.
But one way or another the top tray has to go. There are lugs and clips under the cover to clip into dash. But my standard dash has no receivers. So cut dash ? Or cut clips off and bond to dash over tray to save holes in dash if goes horribly wrong !

yes i know that the box and the lid wont fit as is, but i am curious as to whether or not the lid is the same shape, i can then make a mechanism that does the opening and closing and it'd be an assembly totally apart.. i just cant find the number! @Loz or @Pauly would you guys be able to come to the rescue? i have searched and searched but only found one for polos online..

Some info for you, the above part number is correct for LHD ! ?
Details for the storage tray and the speaker cover with RRP + VAT

There is some more options for that area will see what i can find

top pic.PNG

speaker.PNG

prices.PNG

So heres the other option, covers it ? keeps it usable possibly ? and doesnt cost the earth ?
The question would be how it fits (i think you still have to cut the dash so would still be a one way ticket) and how you could finish the front face ?

Capture.PNG prices.PNG

ok thanks @Pauly . Weird that its for lhd?!

yeah i was hoping to get the assembly, take it apart and then go from there. If i really mess it up then i'll take a trip to germany, 2h from here and over a few days ill fit myself a poshmans dash.. seems to be lots on german sites (lhd so for me all good)..

dont want to really spend any more on this van but the dash is a useful mod..

@scotia
Just got receipt same part number as @Pauly has given above.
Inside my cover also says LHD. Cost me £38.95 +vat

Don't know if i can be any more help, soon as i have van back im on it !

ok thanks, im going to try to get the dashboard 3D scanned and i'll be able to do sth precise.

Back