Dashboard centre storage hole

Van X have a speaker console currently available, which fits in the hole. There’s a cubbyhole version on the horizon, which has been delayed.

DXX - Sorry for being thick but it’s still a bit early for me. Where is the original post that you quoted from please?

DXX - Sorry for being thick but it’s still a bit early for me. Where is the original post that you quoted from please?
If you click the up arrow after where it says DXX said it will take you to the original post.

Cheers - didn't know about the 'up' arrow!

DXX - I really would like to know where you got the parts for that hinged lid from (or did you make them all yourself before putting it all together?). It's exactly what I could do with for the same reasons as you! Can you give me more info please. Cheers in advance.

Cheers - didn't know about the 'up' arrow!

DXX - I really would like to know where you got the parts for that hinged lid from (or did you make them all yourself before putting it all together?). It's exactly what I could do with for the same reasons as you! Can you give me more info please. Cheers in advance.

Plastic hinge and sheet bought on ebay. I made it with hand tools, not entirely straight forward as there is no square edge to use as a reference.
I’m an apprentice trained fitter & turner so I have plenty of hand crafting experience with this sort of thing. It’s a bonus if your vice is close to the van, mine wasn’t!
Give it a go, the materials are cheap and if you balls it up its a learning curve, start again.
You will need to remove some material on the existing trim strip to create a straight edge for the hinge attachment, this has to be done before making the cover.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and encouragement but it's not going to happen! I'm pretty good with wood but, coming from a military background, I've spent most of my life destroying stuff and my limits on manufacturing / fabricating are usually dictateded by whether or not it can be stuck together with bodge tape. That said, my compliments on the job that you did - it looks top notch.

That hinged cover is a great effort. Hats off man,i may have to try something like that if options are limited. Seen the speaker cover but was really after a flush fitting cover/ compartment.
I will keep an eye out for this new van x offering to see what that looks like.
Cheers

Any update here? I'd like to close the gap in my dash as well, preferably with a lidded cubbyhole. but it still seems non-existent..

Probably another victim of COVID.. I believe the cubbyhole does not have a hinged top so useless anyway... I maybe wrong? @BiTurbo ?
I’m still tempted to go for the speaker option just for cosmetics... I’ve got sufficient storage elsewhere anyway....

also interested.. never been able to get the dash scanned.. are they a year behind on this?

I’m working on something at the moment to make it easier to fruit the Vw part.
Had a few failures but I keep chipping away
Probably another victim of COVID.. I believe the cubbyhole does not have a hinged top so useless anyway... I maybe wrong? @BiTurbo ?
I’m still tempted to go for the speaker option just for cosmetics... I’ve got sufficient storage elsewhere anyway....

Can't post any pictures as yet. I have a little adapter plate drawing thar fits between the dash and the top box. It does sit flush like the comfort top box sits approximately 3mm higher. But will allow room for bad cutting with 10mm either side.
Also a draw around template that fits in to original cubby hole to make out before cutting.
Just need printer time, both are running 24/ 7 at the moment and have been for months, cosplay project on the go !

Any update on this one as looking for something to cover that next to useless hole...........

Hi all,

Quick question regarding top compartment on my 2019 Highline Dash. It has that ugly looking hole with the 12v socket.

I was wondering is the comfort dash lid and box compatible to replace it or is that a totally different dash needed ?

cheers
No mate.....a few have tried & all failed to get it to fit
If you scroll back through this thread you'll see what I mean :eek:

If someone with a scanner could scan the dash of a T6 then I could sort something out. Anyone?!

Back