Dashboard centre storage hole

If we could get a 3D scan of the dash then I can bung the result into solidworks and try to come up with a solution. I'm a mechanical engineer so should be able to.. the issue is the shape of the dash needs to be matched with the surfaces. Here scanners can't really be rented. I'd be happy to pay a bit into the pot to get this done.
I'm thinking a 3d printed part with a push push mechanism like on some kitchen bins or coffee machines (I used to work on the design of those..)

Ideally the dash and also the part that clips in at the bottom (I think it's been shown in this thread) then I'd be able to come up with a solution that should be quite neat

Bugger, a 3D scan would be outside my level of knowledge. Sorry, but still very interested.

Fella I’m recovering from covid and it’s left me with fatigue and insomnia.
let me get back on track

anyone got one of these?

anyone got one of these?

No, but it makes that top space look a lot tidier - I bet @Base1388 will be interested...

Agree that it tidies things up nicely but at £55 I'm just happy to see that Van X are following the great traditions of the VW tax rip off.

Van x do make some nice stuff but agreed, boy is it expensive plastic..

Ordered one and came today £55 and then £12 next day postage....to be honest i wasn't in that much rush for it!Expensive for what it is but will do the job.

top.jpg

Can you advise how it is fitted. Does the dash need to be drilled / screwed.
Also what are the opinions of it once fitted?
Thanks

Just a case of taking out the strip of plastic that is at the back of the hole and replaceing it with the hinged one on the cover.Just been out to do mine and it seems that the clips on the cover are longer than the ones on the original,so it doesn't sit flush with the dash...i have a startline.Would the dash's be the same depth on all models ?

Just a case of taking out the strip of plastic that is at the back of the hole and replaceing it with the hinged one on the cover.Just been out to do mine and it seems that the clips on the cover are longer than the ones on the original,so it doesn't sit flush with the dash...i have a startline.Would the dash's be the same depth on all models ?
I tried fitting my one earlier. Ended up loosing 2 clips.
I had to take the clips out of the dash l, fit them on the lid tabs. Then pudh them in place.
The side ones still didn't look right. So pushed down too hard and lost the clips.
So it looks OK without them for now.

My side one's go in no problem it's just the middle 6 or so that wont go in with them being too long.I don't want to press to much with it being brittle plastic.Mine looks ok,but for 50 odd quid you would have thought it would be perfect.

My side one's go in no problem it's just the middle 6 or so that wont go in with them being too long.I don't want to press to much with it being brittle plastic.Mine looks ok,but for 50 odd quid you would have thought it would be perfect.
Hmm thats annoying, mine should arrive this week, ill open the box carefully as i agree for the money it should be perfect. If not it will be going back!

I noticed them being a lot longer. When I tried just pushing them in, they didn’t fit properly. And I didn’t want to push them too hard either.
Even if you look at the van-x photo. They look long.
I would say the fit is far from perfect though.
Van-x photo attached. I'll get a photo of my one shortly.
1624182133414.jpeg

Clips also too long on my highline kombi. For 54 pounds i would expect alot higher quality. Plus you can see the clips inside which you cant for the OEM trim. As a result you can see the gap from the outside of the van. Mine will be going back to Van-x!!

IMG_20210623_132106.jpg

IMG_20210623_132100.jpg

Last edited:
Back