California bed and furniture choice

Wills

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Having fitted a Cali bed I'm now looking at furniture. Bearing in mind the floor has to be raised 26mm (Excluding the 9mm batten glued to the floor) to accommodate the rails and the bed is 1200mm wide. Does this affect the furniture options? I'm considering the Evo 7.4.
What have other owner gone for when using this set up?

Hello Wills. I can’t answer your question but am looking to install a Cali bed myself. I’m not a fan of the popular melamine stuff and really like the Dubteriors furniture. It’s probably twice as expensive as the Evo stuff, mind :whistle:
There are a few other vans on here with Cali beds so someone will be able to answer..

Hello Wills. I can’t answer your question but am looking to install a Cali bed myself. I’m not a fan of the popular melamine stuff and really like the Dubteriors furniture. It’s probably twice as expensive as the Evo stuff, mind :whistle:
There are a few other vans on here with Cali beds so someone will be able to answer..

You know, each time you guys put links on to different conversion companies, I personally thank god that i'm not converting mine, and it's staying a van for my work, for at least the next 3-4 years, because every link I click on I love! The choice is mind-blowing, and it must be a real headache choosing the right company.
It took me 3 months to choose my wheels! and even now i'm looking at different sets. So I can only guess how hard it is when you're building a camper.

@Ads_Essex Are you fitting the rails yourself? Interestingly, my partner was impressed with Dubteriors too. Maybe I should take a second look.

I’d like to, but wonder if the insurers will want a safety certificate. Have your insurers asked?

I’d like to, but wonder if the insurers will want a safety certificate. Have your insurers asked?
Firstly, talking to a couple of Cali spares / fitting dealers. There isn't any official certification to be had. One other fitter just prints off his cert but it's just paper. Secondly, my insuring hasn't asked for any certification. This has been a subject I've read in several posts on here.
Interestingly, I took the advise of 2 experienced professional dealers / fitters when fitting the rails, which differed from the forum advise!

Would it help you if I gave you some measurements from our cali units?
Thanks Loz, it's the Evo measurements I'm interested in. When I rang them to enquire, I was advised it was "tight".
What I'd find useful is the measurement of the floor width from the Evo unit to the NS rear wheel arch.

I have a cali seat and rails being fitted in a few months by Colin at VWVC in Oxford. He will be supplying a certificate for me to forward to my insurance.

I have a cali seat and rails being fitted in a few months by Colin at VWVC in Oxford. He will be supplying a certificate for me to forward to my insurance.
I'd be interested to understand if the paper has any legal or professional standing and what it certifies.

What furniture are you planning to fit?

In reference for future converters. The Cali bed and Evo 7.4 furniture are a perfect fit together. It was a tense moment fitting the bed in the rails but perfect.
I've had a new RHD mattress made up and now have a working bed and furniture

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

That's good to hear, @Wills , and well done on going for it without knowing it’ll definitely fit.

I’ve just dropped off my Cali bed to the upholsterer but need to top and tail the multiflex measurements - did you have the multiflex made up to size or is it an upside-down OEM part? And are those Cali brackets that it’s sitting on?

I haven't used a multiflex. I've modified the Cali T6 solution. The T6 frame has been turned upside down for starters. I now get all the advantage / flexibility the Cali system offers.
Other mods required:
The frame rear locking bolts were obviously repositioned on the down side but also inboard by approx. 15mm to enable them to sit on the rear bracket cups. I made up steel plates for the bolts and secured with rivnuts / m5 capheads. The offside bolt was also moved further forward to accommodate the furniture bracket position.
The rear brackets are both original offside bracket I cut down to suit. 1 cup was reposition to suit.
The front brackets:
The offside is an original Cali bracket relieved of its arch mounting bracket. Tidied up and mounted on the furniture.
The nearside front is a 10mm block of ali that I machined into the mirror of the offside profile and mounted on the arch bracket saved from the Cali.
I just need to tidy up the finish to complete the install..
Pics to explain..

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

I haven't used a multiflex. I've modified the Cali T6 solution. The T6 frame has been turned upside down for starters. I now get all the advantage / flexibility the Cali system offers.
Other mods required:
The frame rear locking bolts were obviously repositioned on the down side but also inboard by approx. 15mm to enable them to sit on the rear bracket cups. I made up steel plates for the bolts and secured with rivnuts / m5 capheads. The offside bolt was also moved further forward to accommodate the furniture bracket position.
The rear brackets are both original offside bracket I cut down to suit. 1 cup was reposition to suit.
The front brackets:
The offside is an original Cali bracket relieved of its arch mounting bracket. Tidied up and mounted on the furniture.
The nearside front is a 10mm block of ali that I machined into the mirror of the offside profile and mounted on the arch bracket saved from the Cali.
I just need to tidy up the finish to complete the install..
Pics to explain..

View attachment 26084

View attachment 26085

View attachment 26086

View attachment 26087

View attachment 26088
I found a full-width multiflex board + legs for £100 so I’m going to change the board out and use that. Good work on the Cali brackets

Back