Mounting VW OEM rails into a LWB van.

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have read the threads on the forum but they have not really answered some questions I have.

I have a LWB van that I want to add rails in the California positions.

There are several options I have.

1. Putting OEM California rails (SWB) in the normal front forward position. In this position I am worried that the rails would not go far enough back to take a multiflex board to combine with the seat to make the bed. (Plus would be difficult to get the bed out.)

2. Put California rails (SWB) in the back position, but then they would not allow the seat to be brought forward to a normal travel position for passengers. Almost defeats the point of the rails as I can see myself ever needing to put the seat fully back (plus the wheel-arch clearance issue)

3. Using the SWB outer rails from a Caravelle - same issues as above but have the benefit of the rails being slightly longer and a D ring tie down point at each end.

4. Use the LWB outer Caravelle rails. Left hand rail would be an easy fit. right hand rail would be too long and one of the bumps in the floor would get in the way. (the bump circled in the pic.) I believe some people done this, but I'm not sure how.

Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 08.38.09.png

5. Fit Caravelle rails 1 long single on the left and the shorter double rail on the right. I think this might look odd, and end up very expensive:

Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 08.41.15.png

Finally, for this people who have fitted SWB Caravelle rails into a LWB van how did you get around the fact that the holes in the rails wont match with the mounting points in the van once you get to the rear of the yellow line in the photo due to the extra 400mm of the LWB? @j4ckal
Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 08.45.01.png

If I used your pic for this post, I hope its ok.

@Ads_Essex @ldm82 @Andysmee @DXX Apologies if I missed anyone.

I have read the threads on the forum but they have not really answered some questions I have.

I have a LWB van that I want to add rails in the California positions.

There are several options I have.

1. Putting OEM California rails (SWB) in the normal front forward position. In this position I am worried that the rails would not go far enough back to take a multiflex board to combine with the seat to make the bed. (Plus would be difficult to get the bed out.)

2. Put California rails (SWB) in the back position, but then they would not allow the seat to be brought forward to a normal travel position for passengers. Almost defeats the point of the rails as I can see myself ever needing to put the seat fully back (plus the wheel-arch clearance issue)

3. Using the SWB outer rails from a Caravelle - same issues as above but have the benefit of the rails being slightly longer and a D ring tie down point at each end.

4. Use the LWB outer Caravelle rails. Left hand rail would be an easy fit. right hand rail would be too long and one of the bumps in the floor would get in the way. (the bump circled in the pic.) I believe some people done this, but I'm not sure how.

View attachment 137097

5. Fit Caravelle rails 1 long single on the left and the shorter double rail on the right. I think this might look odd, and end up very expensive:

View attachment 137098

Finally, for this people who have fitted SWB Caravelle rails into a LWB van how did you get around the fact that the holes in the rails wont match with the mounting points in the van once you get to the rear of the yellow line in the photo due to the extra 400mm of the LWB? @j4ckal
View attachment 137099

If I used your pic for this post, I hope its ok.

@Ads_Essex @ldm82 @Andysmee @DXX Apologies if I missed anyone.
From fitting the swb rails in my lwb t6.1 the only bolts I found didn't match pre punched holes on the chassis rails was the last bolt in each of the outer rails. This would be just one bolt on your case and easily addressed with a suitable spreader plate. All other ones are in correct place, I fitted the factory brackets to all other bolts underneath.

You'd need to bear in mind if you were using a factory multiflex board this would be the wrong shape unless you put it in upside down. I'd recommend just making up a board out of lightweight furniture ply to get the correct fit.

From fitting the swb rails in my lwb t6.1 the only bolts I found didn't match pre punched holes on the chassis rails was the last bolt in each of the outer rails. This would be just one bolt on your case and easily addressed with a suitable spreader plate. All other ones are in correct place, I fitted the factory brackets to all other bolts underneath.

You'd need to bear in mind if you were using a factory multiflex board this would be the wrong shape unless you put it in upside down. I'd recommend just making up a board out of lightweight furniture ply to get the correct fit.
Thanks for the reply. Did you mount the rails in the OEM forward position? Does this not leave the seat, when it is as far back as it can go too far forward for the multiplex board? I would love to see some photos as I’m struggling to picture how it works. Thanks.

I have a lwb shuttle with swb rails in.
I had a custom multiflex board made, which is semi-fixed.
I never take it out the van...
Thanks.
Are the rails in the OEM forward position, or further back?
where did you get the multiplex from please? Any photos?

They are in the forward position - I've edited the post above.

I got my brackets from German ebay and had a local fabricator make the black parts. And a local Woodyard to cut the plywood.

Check out the stee-free website... these brackets are very similar but mine don't have hinges...

Screenshot_20211121-205229_Chrome.jpg

They are in the forward position - I've edited the post above.

I got my brackets from German ebay and had a local fabricator make the black parts. And a local Woodyard to cut the plywood.

Check out the stee-free website... these brackets are very similar but mine don't have hinges...

View attachment 137221
Thank. I see yours is a Valle conversion. The seat is higher than the Cali seat when in bed position, so velle brackets won’t work unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply. Did you mount the rails in the OEM forward position? Does this not leave the seat, when it is as far back as it can go too far forward for the multiplex board? I would love to see some photos as I’m struggling to picture how it works. Thanks.
Yes, rails are in the oem forward position. With the seat up it'll go hard up against the multiflex board, it'll go back a bit further with the board out.

I'm away this week, I'll grab some pics next week when I'm home.

Yes, rails are in the oem forward position. With the seat up it'll go hard up against the multiflex board, it'll go back a bit further with the board out.

I'm away this week, I'll grab some pics next week when I'm home.
Hi did you manage to get some pics?

Hi did you manage to get some pics?
Sorry about that, came home to a bit of a shit show after arwen, no power for 5 days and the roof blown off the home office.

Just nipped out and grabbed some.

First one shows the seat right back against the homemade multiflex board. Second is bed down so you can see the space you have left. Final picture shows the rails with the seat as far back as it'll go with the bed board in, as you can see the seat will still get back further if the board is removed.

Hope this helps, shout if you want any more pics and I'll nip out and grab them.

20211203_130442.jpg

20211203_130514.jpg

20211203_130650.jpg

Sorry about that, came home to a bit of a shit show after arwen, no power for 5 days and the roof blown off the home office.

First one shows the seat right back against the homemade multiflex board. Second is bed down so you can see the space you have left. Final picture shows the rails with the seat as far back as it'll go with the bed board in, as you can see the seat will still get back further if the board is removed.

Hope this helps, shout if you want any more pics and I'll nip out and grab them.

View attachment 138244

View attachment 138245

View attachment 138246
Wow sounds a disaster, hope everything is back to normal or getting there asap. Thank you for the pics. Much appreciated.
1 Question, the rails you have with the D ring lashing points. Are they SWB rail or LWB and outer or inner rails?

I'm trying to find SWB middle rails with D rings and am really struggling to get part numbers. I'm beginning to think they dont exist.

View attachment 138244

View attachment 138245

View attachment 138246

Nice. LHD or twin slider? also looks like EVO units, I didn't know they made those for the left side?

Wow sounds a disaster, hope everything is back to normal or getting there asap. Thank you for the pics. Much appreciated.
1 Question, the rails you have with the D ring lashing points. Are they SWB rail or LWB and outer or inner rails?

I'm trying to find SWB middle rails with D rings and am really struggling to get part numbers. I'm beginning to think they dont exist.
They are all SWB rails, all 4 rails are the same, suspect they were all outers originally. I got them used from Kernow Transporters, he also supplied the California bed which was new. The rail covers had a few marks on them but were pretty good. They mark really easy so glad I never bothered with new ones.

They are all SWB rails, all 4 rails are the same, suspect they were all outers originally. I got them used from Kernow Transporters, he also supplied the California bed which was new. The rail covers had a few marks on them but were pretty good. They mark really easy so glad I never bothered with new ones.
Thanks. Those are the rails I am looking for. Now I know they exist I just need to find some part numbers.

Nice. LHD or twin slider? also looks like EVO units, I didn't know they made those for the left side?
It is a twin slider, decided it would be more practical in the long run. I put the units on the LHS so I could retrofit the factory ducting and vents in for the night heater to keep it neat as well as retaining the heating system in the back that came with the van - it's a big space to heat back there when using it as a daily driver with a wee man in the back so having the standard heater retained in the back is very handy.

Correct it is EVO furniture, they do any unit cut for either side. Had to reduce the height of the worktop to fit under the vanshades, but happy with the end result.

It is a twin slider, decided it would be more practical in the long run. I put the units on the LHS so I could retrofit the factory ducting and vents in for the night heater to keep it neat as well as retaining the heating system in the back that came with the van - it's a big space to heat back there when using it as a daily driver with a wee man in the back so having the standard heater retained in the back is very handy.

Correct it is EVO furniture, they do any unit cut for either side. Had to reduce the height of the worktop to fit under the vanshades, but happy with the end result.
Very smart and thanks for the explanation.

Look for swb t5 caravelle rails. I just bought a set
If that was for me, it’s not that simple, some rails have D rings and some don’t.

if your are with D rings can you post up a photo and the part number please?

Back