Autowatch Ghost immobiliser

Questioned my installer about this yesterday this was their email reply.

Ok so the GHOST System is not Thatcham Approved and more than likely will not be for the foreseeable. GHOST is now TASSA Approved (Which means Some insurance companies are starting to recognize it but not all).

There has been a small amount of info about existing customers and as this is all very new I’m led to believe that it is only the GHOST 2 that can be “Upgraded” to be a TASSA Approved Install and that they had to be within a certain time frame of a few months from having been installed. Like I said, this is all very new….

Thanks for the update @ZEB apologies for the misinformation, I stand corrected.

I got the info from the owner Lee at SRS when I had mine installed. I'm guessing he's mixed up TASSA with Thatcham.

I still got the discount from Adrian Flux insurers so it still might be worth speaking to an installer or your insurance co about the upgrade (obviously model dependant now) to see if it does lower your insurance premium too.

I couldn't get a discount from A plan for having a Ghost Immobiliser, but I did get a healthy discount for being a VIP Member of this forum! (You have to be paying a subscription to get this discount).

Without going into too much detail a bug was discovered on a Ford RS which had ghost1 fitted. There was a way of defeating it. My installer from SRS told me along with another link on here to a thread from another forum where an accredited alarm installer was also aware of it... I don't know if the same bug is present on VW, it was only ever proven to be cracked on a Ford... Ghost 2 had added security so it covered the issue.

Either way, Ghost1 still does a job and isn't going to be easily defeated, maybe not at all on the VW... Certainly no proof of that, that I am aware of.

That’s a really old issue, it was patched out as soon as the bug was reported, not relevant to any kind of Ghost install in the past two years or so.

Either way, Ghost1 still does a job and isn't going to be easily defeated, maybe not at all on the VW... Certainly, no proof of that, that I am aware of.
...and the thief would need to know you had a ghost fitted and be prepared to defeat it in the time they have available.

All the stories of the ghost 1 being hacked appear to have come from a disgruntled ex-installer but that's the other side of the story so take both with a pinch of salt. I did look into this when it was originally claimed and the experts were convinced it hadn't been compromised. Either way as above its going to delay any thief before they find out it has a ghost installed.

Last edited:
Hello.. Do you know if the Ghost systems can work like an anti hijacking system? So cut the engine once the theft is a safe distance away from you home and they have to abandon the vehicle?

Hello.. Do you know if the Ghost systems can work like an anti hijacking system? So cut the engine once the theft is a safe distance away from you home and they have to abandon the vehicle?
No, only on restart....

The v2 version also has a rfid tag..... not sure now that would work. But most people would put the tag........

The S5 plus tracker has remote disable function, so you can remotely disable the vehicle if it's been driven away and also be able to locate it.

But If someone car jacks you with the engine running and you have ghost fitted, they won't know that... So when they turn the engine off they won't be able to restart it...

It'll also take you a while to locate it...!

Last edited:
The S5 plus tracker has remote disable function, so you can remotely disable the vehicle if it's been driven away.

But If someone car jacks you with the engine running and you have ghost fitted, they won't know that when they turn the engine off they won't be able to restart it...
There are a few aftermarket kits that will activate a relay if the door is opened .. newer version is on the canbus.. no surprise many are from south africa.

I've been doing some research and was unsure which immobiliser to get for my car. I've seen the Ghost Immobiliser but there's also a new immobiliser, the CAN-phantom, which is similar but seems to be able to integrate with my mobile phone, it looks a lot simpler to use and I'm thinking about getting the CAN-phantom instead. Anyone heard of it? It works similarly but some of the extra features seem better.

The Ghost also has a mobile app but I consider the phone app a weakness in security. Looking at the video, it is identical to the Ghost so what makes you think it is any easier?

I've had ghost fitted for a couple of years. Takes a bit of getting used to. I never had or wanted the connection to my phone as the code is in my head. As some have said its just another layer for the thief to get through. The annoying bit is the head unit starts up at the same time and you have to press ok as its shuts down. Part of the phone connection.

looks interesting . .

same as Ghost but with APP & WIFI and cloud connection etc. (Ghost has Bluetooth if wanted)

totally agree with above that any RF, Bluetooth, WIFI Cloud, APP will possibly lead to a security vaunribility so best dissabled.

just stick with the 4 digit code.

++++

the more i look at it the more it seems like a Ghost cloan.?

new firm from Feb 2020?

company made up to UK LTD in 9/2020

Mr Steven Stone behind it. . . .

++++

1619173392085.png

1619173426282.png

1619173461230.png

All the others beat me to it. I've got a Ghost and personally I'd rather key in the code than ever rely on the thing talking to my phone. It takes two seconds and you soon make it a part of your routine without giving it a second thought.

I have had one for just under two years with no issue now all of a sudden on three occasions it has stopped accepting the unlock key code and car is truly immobilised.

Any suggestions??

Try disconecting the main starter battery for 5mins...

Back