Autowatch Ghost immobiliser

Hi all,

First time poster. Fascinating thread on Ghost system. I did consider it a while ago, but the installer that fitted my Smartrack tracker said he had heard of problems with Ghost caused by the installation of infotainment software updates by dealers which affected the Ghost set up. Nighmare scenario of a bricked car stuck in the dealers workshop, the emergency code doesn't disable, and the dealer saying it's due to an aftermarket installation.

Still very tempted all the same. A recommended installer on this forum is only 3 miles away....

Hi all,

First time poster. Fascinating thread on Ghost system. I did consider it a while ago, but the installer that fitted my Smartrack tracker said he had heard of problems with Ghost caused by the installation of infotainment software updates by dealers which affected the Ghost set up. Nighmare scenario of a bricked car stuck in the dealers workshop, the emergency code doesn't disable, and the dealer saying it's due to an aftermarket installation.

Still very tempted all the same. A recommended installer on this forum is only 3 miles away....
Sound like BS to me. My moneys on he wasn't an approved ghost installer?

Hi all,

Out of curiosity, who’s your installer? I had mine done when I was at VanDoc - by another firm - so wonder if it’s the same installer.

My Ghost is 3 years old, installed by an accredited installer. I would highly recommend the system.

Ours has been fine...

MY18. .. 204ps DSG fitted from new.

Cant comment on the T6.1 as it runs on an updated platform....

Id assume if there were any issues....it would be T6.1 related.

An approved installer talked me out of a ghost on my 6.1 - stated that the 6.1 electrics create glitches and he wouldn’t recommend fitting one on a 6.1. Something to do with over the air updates on the 6.1 has been mentioned by others. No issues with the 6 though that I’ve read about.

I know some have had no issues with them fitted to 6.1’s but others clearly have, so there’s clearly an issue somewhere. May have been addressed by now as this was much earlier this year, but bear in mind that most insurers don’t recognise Ghost, so you may still need a tracker anyway. Tipped me into having a Meta S5 Deadlock fitted instead - insurance approved, tracker and immobiliser all in one.

@Ozi on the.. Meta S5 Deadlock where do you keep the ID tag? . . . The thing that disarms the imobilizer?

That was the one reason i went for the Ghost.... no tags to mess about with. I know i would have ended up putting the tag on my keyring with the van key.... then leaving myself vaurible to having keys and van stollen from site with an insurance no pay. (As stollen with keys)

I have the V1 ghost. (Just code)

I think the v2 ghost has an optional tag feature too. (Tag & code)

@Ozi on the.. Meta S5 Deadlock where do you keep the ID tag? . . . The thing that disarms the imobilizer?

That was the one reason i went for the Ghost.... no tags to mess about with. I know i would have ended up putting the tag on my keyring with the van key.... then leaving myself vaurible to having keys and van stollen from site with an insurance no pay. (As stollen with keys)

I have the V1 ghost. (Just code)

I think the v2 ghost has an optional tag feature too. (Tag & code)
Keep the tag separate with house keys - van key is always kept separate.

But even if someone got the tag as well as the van key, they aren’t going anywhere, as i always use the app to remote immobilise as well - unless I unblock again via the app, even with the proximity fob and key being present, still won’t let anyone start the van. Gives me complete peace of mind.

After the Ghost 'Bricked' my van (documented elsewhere on the Forum) . Autowatch have accepted it was faulty and will replace FOC although I still have to pay the installer. Still can't decide to have it fitted or not. I have plenty of time to make up my mind as they currently cannot manufacture any stock!!

Keep the tag separate with house keys - van key is always kept separate.

But even if someone got the tag as well as the van key, they aren’t going anywhere, as i always use the app to remote immobilise as well - unless I unblock again via the app, even with the proximity fob and key being present, still won’t let anyone start the van. Gives me complete peace of mind.
I have the same v2 on an app also, I never have the Bluetooth on only in use, and disarm it when home. Its a great piece of kit, and piece of mind

Apologies for resurrecting this long-dormant thread, but I'm currently contemplating a Ghost II install for my yet-to-be-delivered T6.1 and I have concerns regarding the
service/valet mode.

As I understand it (and I'm happy to be corrected), once in service mode, the van can be driven any number of times without having to enter the button combination, provided that any single journey doesn't exceed 15 mins duration, or 50 kph. If one of these parameters is exceeded, then at next start-up, the button combination must be re-entered.

In the context of a service this sounds fine, but what about, for example, an airport chauffer parking service? IMO it is highly likely that either or both of these 2 parameters would be exceeded and, if that happens following drop-off, then you'll be left in a situation of having to reveal your button combo in order to get your van back, thereby completely undermining the whole point of service mode?!

Have I misunderstood, have I missed something, or am I overthinking this? Your thoughts please.

Apologies for resurrecting this long-dormant thread, but I'm currently contemplating a Ghost II install for my yet-to-be-delivered T6.1 and I have concerns regarding the
service/valet mode.

As I understand it (and I'm happy to be corrected), once in service mode, the van can be driven any number of times without having to enter the button combination, provided that any single journey doesn't exceed 15 mins duration, or 50 kph. If one of these parameters is exceeded, then at next start-up, the button combination must be re-entered.

In the context of a service this sounds fine, but what about, for example, an airport chauffer parking service? IMO it is highly likely that either or both of these 2 parameters would be exceeded and, if that happens following drop-off, then you'll be left in a situation of having to reveal your button combo in order to get your van back, thereby completely undermining the whole point of service mode?!

Have I misunderstood, have I missed something, or am I overthinking this? Your thoughts please.
The problem only exists if you make it a problem really, I don’t use them and wouldn’t trust them driving the van but that’s my opinion

The problem only exists if you make it a problem really, I don’t use them and wouldn’t trust them driving the van but that’s my opinion
Fair comment, though I would hope that while I'm abroad the van would be safer in a secure carpark than on my driveway.

service/valet mode.

My understanding is once in service mode, if for any reason they do take it out, as soon as they hit 30mph it cuts out and like you say its needs to be reset. I for one wouldn't be leaving my priceless campervan at any airport as a drop-off, take a taxi.
Or you just tell them and when you get home, change the number as you say, but that's defeating the object. I don't trust them to look after your vehicle
A service mode, is for valeting or garage stays.

My understanding is once in service mode, if for any reason they do take it out, as soon as they hit 30mph it cuts out and like you say its needs to be reset. I for one wouldn't be leaving my priceless campervan at any airport as a drop-off, take a taxi.
Or you just tell them and when you get home, change the number as you say, but that's defeating the object. I don't trust them to look after your vehicle
A service mode, is for valeting or garage stays.
It doesn’t cut out if you go over 30 but does mean they have to use the code next time they start it.

I would just tell them it has a ghost on so where they park it is where it will stay if you want to use a drop off service. Or use somewhere else where you park and leave it yourself and get a bus in or walk in… never really thought of it being a problem really as I don’t let many drive my van. Would be hard enough explaining how air suspension works and for them not to mess about with it

It has to be driven over 30mph for a few minutes before it loses the valet mode. I have put mine into valet mode and driven it about locally for a few days before it needed the code again.

Fair comment, though I would hope that while I'm abroad the van would be safer in a secure carpark than on my driveway.
I agree with the reply’s above. I wouldn’t trust anybody to be moving my van around while I’m on holiday. If you’re not happy to leave it at home, leave it with a friend or relative (somewhere where it won’t be touched and doesn’t need moving from where you leave it) and get a taxi to the airport.

Reactions: Loz
I usually change the code on mine to something easy while it’s in for a service and then change it back when finished.

But to be honest, giving the code to a garage isn’t a big deal, they’ll soon forget the code.

I use the Konami code - Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A

Back