Audio Upgrade Stage-1 . . . . Blam Relax 200rs Speakers From Skipton.

Here are the drain holes..

20180820_170618.jpg

Front...

20180820_170627.jpg

And rear....

20180820_170622.jpg

Though any water that gets passed the window seal should just run down the inner sides of the door and out the drain holes at the bottom of the door to the outside of the van.

Yes, agree. But for some reason it ends up on the step!

That don't sound right.

The drain holes are below the step level and outside.

Have you got a secondary door rubber seal? Is the water running down that?

Maybe your have to lay out a load of blue roll around the door step. Close the door. Hose down the door.... then open it up and look at the blue roll to see where its coming in?

Door seal.
Door rubber.
Window rubber.
Inner door trim.
Somewhere else.

C3CB83D2-694A-4660-BBD3-2C9FE45185F4.jpeg
That don't sound right.

The drain holes are below the step level and outside.

Have you got a secondary door rubber seal? Is the water running down that?

Maybe your have to lay out a load of blue roll around the door step. Close the door. Hose down the door.... then open it up and look at the blue roll to see where its coming in?

Door seal.
Door rubber.
Window rubber.
Inner door trim.
Somewhere else.

Or down the A pillars if you have roof bars fitted and are leaking in.

leaking roof bars on the a-piller eh . . . . .

thats not good. how did you fix that issue?

remove the bolt and refix with a sealant?

leaking roof bars on the a-piller eh . . . . .

thats not good. how did you fix that issue?

remove the bolt and refix with a sealant?
Was fitted by the dealer and went back 4 times with the same issue they tried sealant, ptfe tape and never resolved the issue ended up rejecting the van :(

The reason why the water is appearing on the step is it is running down the inside of the door card and out onto the step. When its bad, I can see drips from the hex screws at the bottom of the door card. I just can't figure how to stop this.

The reason why the water is appearing on the step is it is running down the inside of the door card and out onto the step. When its bad, I can see drips from the hex screws at the bottom of the door card. I just can't figure how to stop this.

thats odd,

sounds like you you need to get a mate involved...

take the door card off.....

get inside with the door closed . . . . .

get your buddy to wash the van down with water . . . . . . .

keep an eye on the inside to see where the water is coming in?

see if its coing from the speaker mount . . . . .

or . . . if its cominig out the bottom of the inner steel sheet thats bolted to the door.

take a video or some pics of your results . . .

its sounding like your drain holes are blocked and the water is draining out between the inner door plate when you open/close the door?

The drain holes are fine. It's preciseley as the VW guy explained it to me. The new speakers are deeper, they touch the "wet part" of the door inner, the speakers are attached to the door card, and the water is diverted via the speakers down the door card. I need a solution please.

The drain holes are fine. It's preciseley as the VW guy explained it to me. The new speakers are deeper, they touch the "wet part" of the door inner, the speakers are attached to the door card, and the water is diverted via the speakers down the door card. I need a solution please.

That's odd.?

The deeper speakers are on the WET side of the door like the OEM ones.....
But they don't touch anything... the back end of the speaker hangs in free air in the void where the window winds down.

Also the speakers are mounted onto the steel inner panel and don't actually touch the door card itself.

Also if the speakers were getting wet you would hear it.. or they would fail if water was getting into the cone or voice coil..

Maybe wash the van down then take out the speaker and see if it's wet.

Or even better take the door card off, and speaker out then wash down the van and see if you are getting water drops seen through the speaker void.

May be your solution is a set of the speaker inner covers already mentioned above.

Or

Fit shallower speakers. Or refit the OEM ones to test your theory.

I have heard of people draping something (possibly some form of plastic sheet) from above over the rear of the speaker to deflect any water and force it to drip further back inside the door and I assume closer to the drain holes ?
Perhaps @Absolut5 may have some info/experience of this ?

I have heard of people draping something (possibly some form of plastic sheet) from above over the rear of the speaker to deflect any water and force it to drip further back inside the door and I assume closer to the drain holes ?
Perhaps @Absolut5 may have some info/experience of this ?
I followed somwbody's advice years ago on the T5 forum to angle some of the sound deadening to form a cover for the door speaker connections and I've done that on my T6 too. Never known water to come through the door card instead of between the two metal panels even with deeper speakers. If they were that deep wouldn't they hit the window?
Amother suspect, if the door drainholes are clear, could be the window seals being damaged or misaligned.

Edit: Now I think about it, that may have been @Absolut5 too, I did get my door speakers and sub for the T5 from him

How did you pack it out and what did you use?. Im having the same problem.

I have the same problem on my t5 after having aftermarket speakers fitted , I took it back to see if they could resolve it but mine still spills on to the step after heavy rain but my van is parked on my drive every night which is on a slant , meaning my van is on a tilt leaning over to the near side which I don’t think helps which way the water flows down the inside of the door I would be interested to find out a proper solution to this as I have a T6 on order and want to fit new sound system and don’t want the same issues

Back