Alpine vs Focal Speakers, anyone been able to compare?

Apologies, I meant the Match amp/dsp, certainly looks like a great bit of kit, almost too good to be true at that size / price.

Understood about the install location, that makes that amp make perfect sense. I’m looking into DSP’s so this amp looks great and handy to know it’ll fit behind the dash. I should be able to easily power this from the main battery from here too and it should make running the wires easier. I’d power it from the main battery as I’d go with a sub under the seat.

I do have an older JD Audio amp laying around but adding a DSP plus the install would have to go under the seat and I’m installing into a California which just feels like too much hassle.

Was also wondering why you didn’t go for the Alpine - SWC-D84T6 Subwoofer with Enclosure for Volkswagen T6.1 / T6 in the end? I assume due to sound quality and also the alpine being only 8”. It does look attractive for the price for the custom box and sub.

I had a good look at that Alpine sub. You know, I can't really explain why I didn't go for it in the end. Probably got seduced by the idea of using a 10" sub over an 8" one. Possibly this is daft given my experience in oversizing the door speakers.

Since the Alpine one includes proper mounting hardware etc, I'd certainly consider it for your van and I'd be keen to hear your impressions of it. Certainly, it'll be a nice simple install and would 'play nicely' with the sub channel on the Match amplifier (provided you run the two coils in series).

I put the alpine sub in my van, using the Focal amp, with two channels running the front speakers, and ch3/4 running bridged on the two coils of the sub. Works well with the T6.1 alpine front speakers too.

Havn't done any sound deadening up front yet, but its a camper in the rear, so not too bad already.

I put the alpine sub in my van, using the Focal amp, with two channels running the front speakers, and ch3/4 running bridged on the two coils of the sub. Works well with the T6.1 alpine front speakers too.

Havn't done any sound deadening up front yet, but its a camper in the rear, so not too bad already.

I'd say that would be a pretty good install. If the Alpine front speakers don't require much EQ then I'd guess the Focal amp would be fine.

With my new-found love of DSP though I might still go for a DSP amp :)

I'd say that would be a pretty good install. If the Alpine front speakers don't require much EQ then I'd guess the Focal amp would be fine.

With my new-found love of DSP though I might still go for a DSP amp :)

The more I read / hear about DSP’s I think they are a massive component to getting a great sound.

Obviously they are available stand alone as well, rather than integrated.

I’m super keen on the Match amp with built in DSP, though it is expensive, I’ll keep an eye out for a second hand one.

It's worth noting that any luxury car will be using DSP within it's audio system to tune the speakers to the acoustics of the cabin. The challenge of getting decent sound quality in a metal box (with all manner of unwanted resonances and noise sources of its own) is hugely simplified by having at least digital EQ.

That said, I managed to get fantastic sound on my old VW polo using just component speakers in the front and a pair of 10" subs in the boot. No DSP in those days. I think the van is a more challenging space though.

Whatever you do decide to install, please report back. I for one would be keen to hear how you get on.

It's worth noting that any luxury car will be using DSP within it's audio system to tune the speakers to the acoustics of the cabin. The challenge of getting decent sound quality in a metal box (with all manner of unwanted resonances and noise sources of its own) is hugely simplified by having at least digital EQ.

That said, I managed to get fantastic sound on my old VW polo using just component speakers in the front and a pair of 10" subs in the boot. No DSP in those days. I think the van is a more challenging space though.

Whatever you do decide to install, please report back. I for one would be keen to hear how you get on.

Having a further look at the Match amp, it seems it only takes high level inputs, is this what you used?

I’m not sure from your write up which head into you’re using.

I'm using the VW Discovery head and taking the speaker (high) level outputs to the Match amp. Theoretically, it should present a speaker load to the head so I could enable the front rear fader control if I could be bothered

Another nice feature of the Match amp that I forgot to mention is that it doesn't drop out when the van auto stop/starts (the focal amp breifly drops out every time the engine restarts).

I'm using the VW Discovery head and taking the speaker (high) level outputs to the Match amp. Theoretically, it should present a speaker load to the head so I could enable the front rear fader control if I could be bothered

Another nice feature of the Match amp that I forgot to mention is that it doesn't drop out when the van auto stop/starts (the focal amp breifly drops out every time the engine restarts).

Thanks. Makes sense.

I’m in the odd situation where I have 2 vans. A 2008 & a 2018, both Californias and I’m trying to figure which to sell (long story).

If I keep the 2018 I’d be running the VW headunit so high levels inputs are perfect. This has stop/ start.

The 2008 I’ve upgraded the headunit to a Kenwood dmx8020dabs so would like to use the line outs. I thought this headunit would support the digital output but it doesn’t. This van doesn’t have stop / start.

Thanks. Makes sense.

I’m in the odd situation where I have 2 vans. A 2008 & a 2018, both Californias and I’m trying to figure which to sell (long story).

If I keep the 2018 I’d be running the VW headunit so high levels inputs are perfect. This has stop/ start.

The 2008 I’ve upgraded the headunit to a Kenwood dmx8020dabs so would like to use the line outs. I thought this headunit would support the digital output but it doesn’t. This van doesn’t have stop / start.
Chat to @Absolut5 about the viability of swapping over the headunits

An update. The 2008 Cali needed some cash spent on it so decided to try to do the sound on a budget.

Clearing out the loft I found some Focal speakers and tweeters, mounting plates (brought these for a Golf).

I had a JL Audio 400/4 which I’ve swapped for a 500/3.

I picked up a Audison sub in an under seat box off of marketplace.

Not ideal but should all sound ok, and can try to upgrade later.

Reactions: JOG
Do you have to run the door speakers direct to the amp instead of Quadlock?

Hi all.

Also looking at upgrading speakers in my T6.

Those that have done so already, quick question:

Do you guys bother with sound deadening the door cards etc. with dodo mat or similar or do you find it is not necessary?

TIA

Hi all.

Do you guys bother with sound deadening the door cards etc. with dodo mat or similar or do you find it is not necessary?

Can’t really comment as to whether it made a difference as I fitted new speakers at the same time, before and after awesome. I see you are n the midlands, I’m in Cannock if you wanted to hear the alpine speakers once installed.

Thanks buddy Might take you up on that. Have you got the full setup? Sub & Amp or just speakers/tweeters. Ta
I’ve got the Alpine components in the doors / a pillars and some rear 6.5” kicker speakers as well as a 12” JL w3 sub all being run off an alpine R-A90s 6 channel amp.

Hi all.

TIA
100% definitely worth doing , even if you don’t upgrade the speakers

Back