Sound Dampening - Alpine Speaker Upgrade 6.1

Marco6.1

Hi all,

I've just installed the Alpine SPS-106T61 speaker kit and while the door cards were off, I added some Dodo sound-dampening sheets to the inside of the door, the door's external regulator panel and the back of the door card itself. I also added some Dodo acoustic liner to the back of the door card, on top of the dampening sheets. This is the guide I followed: Front Door Sound Deadening Upgrades, doing the stage 4 process - my sound-dampening sheets were 1.8mm as opposed to 2mm.

The only problem I've got is when putting the door cards back on, it doesn't want to sit flush with the door pushing out on the side about 5mm at the highest point, which seems to be the mid to bottom bit of the door card. Is my acoustic liner too thick or would it be the door clips causing the problem... or is this just normal? I did order some new clips, however, the driver's door ones were mostly okay but it still pushes out.

Any advice would be appreciated, not really sure where to go from here.

--

Here's a link to all the bits if anyone is interested:

Alpine upgrade for T.61: VW T6.1 Alpine Component Speaker System SPC-106T6.1 - 16.5 cm - All T6.1 Audio, T6.1 Speakers - Transporter HQ

Acoustic liner: Dodo Acoustic Liner
Sound deadening sheets: Dodo Mat DEADN Hex 20 Sheets

Door card clips for T6.1: Door Card Clips for Transporter 6.1 & Other VW Vehicles, Volkswagen 3CN868243

I did the same , door card is no problem for me , so must be pretty close . Whaut a difference it makes along with the alpine kit !

Yep, they're not the easiest of things to reset! ... Think my next plan of attack is to take the door card off completely when the new clips arrive, remove all the old clips and see if the door card lays flush just holding it up? If not, something is stopping it from pushing back but good to know it should fit, for the time being, thanks @Bainie. Annoyingly I didn't take any pictures for if there was something obvious I shouldn't have covered, but it all seemed common sense to me.

The speaker kit is definitely an upgrade - I played the radio mid-install with one of the VW speakers still there and the difference in clarity between the two was crazy. Think in the summer I'll do a bit more investigation into the subwoofer to give it that little bit extra - Seems like it's a much bigger job and it's way too cold at the moment! This weekend with the speakers was bad enough :laugh:

Yeah , I did the sub woofer a couple of weeks after , it really brings the whole thing to life !

Still not having much luck, did you have any trouble with the top outer clip @Bainie? The others look like they’ll clip in with the new clips I got, but this one’s bending and breaking as soon as I try and clip it in.

56FECC34-BF3A-49B4-B56C-C742A2178873.jpeg

EA99A9DE-9710-4014-BCE1-8CEA5016633F.jpeg

7FD9EF11-8A9C-4D20-AAF9-D00592FFC86E.jpeg

B9967C5C-A778-4C87-B12D-B4BA1B3C93A7.jpeg

Are the 2 bottom clips lined up?
Are there any compression marks on the foam to indicate where the doorcard is contacting the inner skin?

yep the two bottom clips are lined up, no marks on the foam - it compresses to nothing!

No, that side of the door is fine, it’s the other side that’s the problem. Even giving it a good thump the clips seem to activate before entering the hole fully

Finally managed the passenger door. It’s not as perfect as it was but it’s not coming off again. Gave up on the drivers side - will try again when it’s warmer. Might need to order more clips too!
6BCCD655-9178-4573-8435-755D9D334442.jpeg

I had a similar issue, it seemed to be a small section of the deadening sheet that made the door card stick out - in the flat space to the left of the speaker (pax door, RHD van) on my T6. Sorry I didn't get any pics, but I removed that section and it clipped in again fine.

Agree, that it's definitely a decent upgrade (I have the 20cm T6 version), the treble is quite intense though - I have an aftermarket head unit and have managed to tone it down a bit with the EQ. I have an under seat sub too and it sounds superb :)

Not to go too far off piste… what sub did you go for?
I already had an InPhase USW300 installed. It’s nothing mega and likely won’t hit the lows that the Alpine alternative does, but it’s gives a nice punch and with the larger Alpine 20cm door speakers it’s a decent combination.

How much of the Acoustic liner: Dodo Acoustic Liner did you buy?

I installed the alpine 108t6 kit last weekend and this weekend went for a long drive and was underwhelmed by the sound. All i have done so far is stage 1 on the guide you found. i am thinking more sound deadening might help.

How much of the Acoustic liner: Dodo Acoustic Liner did you buy?

I installed the alpine 108t6 kit last weekend and this weekend went for a long drive and was underwhelmed by the sound. All i have done so far is stage 1 on the guide you found. i am thinking more sound deadening might help.
Think I ordered two sheets, one for each door.

I’m still get to invest in the sub / amp to help improve the sound further - it’s still a little hollow, even with being used to it now.

thanks Marco! I think my next steps will be the acoustic liner and then an amp. Not keep on losing space for a sub so going to live without it i think.

Hi lads fitted these speakers and under seat sub. All working OK butt since main dealer done a reboot I've lost left front speaker on front only when connected to Spotify. ??? Any ideas... Please. ??

Back