Fitting T6.1 SPC-106T6.1 Alpine Speakers - From a Rookie!

Cairngorms

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I was apprehensive about posting about my fitting experience to this Forum. What I see members doing is phenomenal. I am totally in awe. But there have been a couple of very small bits of advice that I've picked up that's been super-handy. If this post helps someone like me - a total rookie - to get these speakers fitted and avoid my couple of mistakes (that I'll share), then I will be happy!

Skill level - I am a total rookie. Never done anything like this before.

VW T6.1 Alpine Component Speaker System SPC-106T6.1
Got mine from Transporter HQ

Youtube Video: "T6 & T6.1 Alpine Audio plug and play speaker / tweeter upgrade. 'How to' For VW Transporter. SPC-10"
Fitting the speakers

Watching this video was absolutely crucial. Honestly, I wouldn't have tried this without it. I'll refer to a couple of parts in the video.

Kit: Usual screwdrivers, drill to take out old speaker rivets, TX screwdrivers, Trim removal kit

Fitting - Mid range door speakers
  • Starting with the YouTube video, followed no problem.
  • First challenge was about 2mins 40 into the video. Getting trim off, disconnecting cables was fine. But popping those clips behind the door card was tough going. Took a while, getting the trim removal tool levering them off took a lot of faffing around. Relief to get the door card off.
  • Rookie Tip 1: 3:25 into the video, he drills out the rivets, then puts the glass back up. I'd strongly recommend putting the glass up BEFORE drilling. You have to push into the drill - it wouldn't be difficult to push the drill bit straight onto the glass.
  • Rookie Tip 2: 4:45 into video, he warns not to drop the nuts behind door. I packed a painting sheet down inside the door, so if I dropped a nut, it would be caught on the sheet. It pulls out quite easily when done.
  • Whatever you do, don't put those clips into the plastic mount before you need to (5:35). See below
  • At 8:13 you have to pop out the door clips. They can break quite easily. If they break, for the T6.1, the Part Number is 3CN868243 if you need to order any. I need a couple on the second door.
  • Everything else was straightforward. Getting the door card back onto window sill and fitted back took a few mins of mumbling swear words but job done.
My one (huge) rookie error. I tried to figure out which way to put the clips into the speaker. I didn't realise these are one-way.... just impossible to release if you clip them in. Total schoolboy error. I posted a plea for help LINK. The only way I recovered was to snip the plastic connector and order a new one. Link -> Part number 191972714. Got a replacement from AutoClick.

Fitting - Tweeters
  • YouTube video again. To start, my van has grab handles on the A-pillars. Quick trim removal, couple of screws to remove, and back to video.
  • At 10:50 of the video he takes a side-panel off. I didn't need to do that. The A-pillar trim came away quite easily without it.
  • Nothing much else, the video is perfect. At 13:20 when you clip the speaker in, I didn't quite push the clips in fully - I didn't see it until later (had to take the trim back off to fix).
So that's it. The new tweeter looks very cool (photo below)

The sound? Well my last car was an A5 with a Bang & Olufson system. So it isn't that sadly. I find the sound at low volumes quite high on treble, even with it at -1 on the equalizer. But the higher the volume goes, the sound feels more rounded. I love my hard rock/metal, kind of suits to have it loud :)

If you are a rookie thinking of having a go.... I hope this helps.

John

IMG20211219145603.jpg

I was apprehensive about posting about my fitting experience to this Forum. What I see members doing is phenomenal. I am totally in awe. But there have been a couple of very small bits of advice that I've picked up that's been super-handy. If this post helps someone like me - a total rookie - to get these speakers fitted and avoid my couple of mistakes (that I'll share), then I will be happy!

Skill level - I am a total rookie. Never done anything like this before.

VW T6.1 Alpine Component Speaker System SPC-106T6.1
Got mine from Transporter HQ

Youtube Video: "T6 & T6.1 Alpine Audio plug and play speaker / tweeter upgrade. 'How to' For VW Transporter. SPC-10"
Fitting the speakers

Watching this video was absolutely crucial. Honestly, I wouldn't have tried this without it. I'll refer to a couple of parts in the video.

Kit: Usual screwdrivers, drill to take out old speaker rivets, TX screwdrivers, Trim removal kit

Fitting - Mid range door speakers
  • Starting with the YouTube video, followed no problem.
  • First challenge was about 2mins 40 into the video. Getting trim off, disconnecting cables was fine. But popping those clips behind the door card was tough going. Took a while, getting the trim removal tool levering them off took a lot of faffing around. Relief to get the door card off.
  • Rookie Tip 1: 3:25 into the video, he drills out the rivets, then puts the glass back up. I'd strongly recommend putting the glass up BEFORE drilling. You have to push into the drill - it wouldn't be difficult to push the drill bit straight onto the glass.
  • Rookie Tip 2: 4:45 into video, he warns not to drop the nuts behind door. I packed a painting sheet down inside the door, so if I dropped a nut, it would be caught on the sheet. It pulls out quite easily when done.
  • Whatever you do, don't put those clips into the plastic mount before you need to (5:35). See below
  • At 8:13 you have to pop out the door clips. They can break quite easily. If they break, for the T6.1, the Part Number is 3CN868243 if you need to order any. I need a couple on the second door.
  • Everything else was straightforward. Getting the door card back onto window sill and fitted back took a few mins of mumbling swear words but job done.
My one (huge) rookie error. I tried to figure out which way to put the clips into the speaker. I didn't realise these are one-way.... just impossible to release if you clip them in. Total schoolboy error. I posted a plea for help LINK. The only way I recovered was to snip the plastic connector and order a new one. Link -> Part number 191972714. Got a replacement from AutoClick.

Fitting - Tweeters
  • YouTube video again. To start, my van has grab handles on the A-pillars. Quick trim removal, couple of screws to remove, and back to video.
  • At 10:50 of the video he takes a side-panel off. I didn't need to do that. The A-pillar trim came away quite easily without it.
  • Nothing much else, the video is perfect. At 13:20 when you clip the speaker in, I didn't quite push the clips in fully - I didn't see it until later (had to take the trim back off to fix).
So that's it. The new tweeter looks very cool (photo below)

The sound? Well my last car was an A5 with a Bang & Olufson system. So it isn't that sadly. I find the sound at low volumes quite high on treble, even with it at -1 on the equalizer. But the higher the volume goes, the sound feels more rounded. I love my hard rock/metal, kind of suits to have it loud :)

If you are a rookie thinking of having a go.... I hope this helps.

John

View attachment 139265
Great write up - thanks for taking the time. Rookie errors is how we learn - very helpful that you were man enough to share them too!

Back