Audio upgrade without sub?

reserves

VCDS User
T6 Pro
I’ve got a 2017 California which I’m looking to upgrade the sound.

I’ve got leisure battery / wiring under one seat and cables / power units under the other (non standard California seats)

Long way of saying, I have no room to fit a sub, which is a shame as I have an Audison sub in a T6 box. Doh.

What are my best options in terms of upgrading speakers?

I believe my door cards can take 3 way components but not sure.

I have room maybe for one of those small underseat subs but was told these are no good?

Headunit is Kenwood DMX-9720XDS

I have a bunch of stuff that I’ve collected over the years:

JL Audio XD500/3 v2
JL Audio XD400/4 v2
Audison Sub and T6 box (can’t use!)
Kenwood KAC-M1814
Rainbow 8” speakers & tweeters (old)

Not obsessed with using any / all / some of these, will sell what I don’t need to fund what I do!

I don’t listen to dance music at all, more guitar / band / think Neil Young etc. so quality more important than thumping bass.

Would new 8” in the door and A pillar tweeters amped up be enough? Would a compact under seat sub add any value? If so am I better off with 6.5 components in the door?

Any advice appreciated

Last edited:
If you have 8 inch drivers and you want clarity 3 way setup amped with 8 inch drivers will give depth and clarity albeit not as much depth as with a sub. If your going 3 way don't put the mid driver in the door really doesn't do them any justice. Consider an A-Pillar build. The compact underseat subs aren't fantastic and we usually avoid these they just haven't got the balls for the air volume inside a Transporter there are options why don't you give us a ring we can discuss options and consult/take you through various things. We do this a lot for customers regardless if it's supply only or supply and install. You can call days a week always on hand to help.

Cheers
Chris
Dav-Tec

If you have 8 inch drivers and you want clarity 3 way setup amped with 8 inch drivers will give depth and clarity albeit not as much depth as with a sub. If your going 3 way don't put the mid driver in the door really doesn't do them any justice. Consider an A-Pillar build. The compact underseat subs aren't fantastic and we usually avoid these they just haven't got the balls for the air volume inside a Transporter there are options why don't you give us a ring we can discuss options and consult/take you through various things. We do this a lot for customers regardless if it's supply only or supply and install. You can call days a week always on hand to help.

Cheers
Chris
Dav-Tec

Thanks. The A pillars have blinds in them so would rather not alter them.

Guess I need to think about if re-use then old Rainbow speakers or get some new ones.

Then need to work out what amp to use too.

Back