I finally got a picture of my T32 with 18" Amarok Manaus wheels. Similar to the Devonports but without spacers...

View attachment 99747
They look so good! I’m thinking of getting these wheels. My van’s pretty heavy and fully loaded - do you think 18” wheels would be okay or should I stay at 17”? Roads in Sydney can be a mixed bag - mostly smooth but some pretty badly patched roads around the city

They look so good! I’m thinking of getting these wheels. My van’s pretty heavy and fully loaded - do you think 18” wheels would be okay or should I stay at 17”? Roads in Sydney can be a mixed bag - mostly smooth but some pretty badly patched roads around the city
Thanks,
they are from the Amarok, so load shouldn't be a problem. When it comes to tyres, you would want a size with plenty of sidewall to absorb the bumps. Also you need a load rated tyre.
Mine feels a little softer than the original 17s on our potholed UK roads.

Thanks,
they are from the Amarok, so load shouldn't be a problem. When it comes to tyres, you would want a size with plenty of sidewall to absorb the bumps. Also you need a load rated tyre.
Mine feels a little softer than the original 17s on our potholed UK roads.

Sorry I wasn’t very clear - yes you’re right that if I go for the 18’s from 17’s then there’s less sidewall but do you think there’s a noticeable difference between the 2 sizes (with the appropriate tyre sizes)?

Sorry I wasn’t very clear - yes you’re right that if I go for the 18’s from 17’s then there’s less sidewall but do you think there’s a noticeable difference between the 2 sizes (with the appropriate tyre sizes)?

I went from 215/60/17 to 235/55/18.
This added 20mm to the rolling diameter, i.e. 10mm increase in height.
This with the extra width feels nice.
They are less harsh on rough roads.
OEM Amarok tyres were too large for my taste.

You could also use 245/50r18 104. I have this size for summer use. 6mm larger radius than the standard 215/60r17. The larger footprint means lower air pressure so comfort isn't really any issue. I currently have a 235/55r18 104 tyre for winter use. Just think the 245 size is more mechanically sympathetic on the drive train. As I've said in other threads, once its worn down and ready for the recycling, its down to the same radius as a new standard size tyre.

Also remember the offset of the Amarok wheels moves them outboard by 10 mm each side. Effectively this softens the ride very slightly.

20190428_115916.jpg

You could also use 245/50r18 104. I have this size for summer use. 6mm larger radius than the standard 215/60r17. The larger footprint means lower air pressure so comfort isn't really any issue. I currently have a 235/55r18 104 tyre for winter use. Just think the 245 size is more mechanically sympathetic on the drive train. As I've said in other threads, once its worn down and ready for the recycling, its down to the same radius as a new standard size tyre.

Also remember the offset of the Amarok wheels moves them outboard by 10 mm each side. Effectively this softens the ride very slightly.

View attachment 99934
That looks nice.
What pressured are you running?

That looks nice.
What pressured are you running?

Thank you. I run the 245's at 47-48 psi empty. I say empty, but its a full camper conversion with pop top and some kit in it. But when its loaded with people, food, clothes, awnings and bike racks then 50 psi.

Just wondering why people don’t seem to fit these Amarok wheels as they can be picked up quite a bit cheaper than the other 19”” which I forgot the name.
Is it just the look or is there a technical reason.
Cheers

Just wondering why people don’t seem to fit these Amarok wheels as they can be picked up quite a bit cheaper than the other 19”” which I forgot the name.
Is it just the look or is there a technical reason.
Cheers
Give us a clue which Amarok wheels you mean.

Not a fan of those - much prefer the Cantera.
The spoke on the wheels above sticks out too far where is meets the rim imho

I noticed that and thought they would probably have more chance of catching high and uneven curbs that we have around out streets .
I think I have found a set of cantera’s today so fingers crossed if so my 18”” Amarok wheels will be up for sale.

I was just looking at the Alastaro as I was struggling to find a set of Canteras .
but had a message yesterday and have managed to pick up a set today that have only covered 200 miles before the seller removed them. The wheels are in A1 condition as are the tyres that I will remove to sell .
I think I’m going to go 255/45/19 all season but I don’t want to pay the big brand money and was hoping to spend no more than £150 a tyre.

E8A2A969-C970-43A7-A129-A3D73EF29789.png

Back