@Another planet, First off, the wheels and tyres look great! I’m no tyre fitter, but I’ve fitted and removed a few sets of wheels over the past 30 years and just recently removed the original 205/65/16’s off mine, replacing with the same tyres as you’ve got there, on fuel zephyrs and am pleased to say I’ve had no issues after 2500 miles and I’m certain I won’t have any wheels coming off because of the change. In your case, Im sure it was just human error on the fitters end of which they should have but are not admitting fault to. If those nuts where tightened properly, I’m pretty certain they wouldn’t work loose after a mile. It was obviously a eye opening ordeal to say the least. I would put it behind you now though and don’t let it spoil your van fun. But as a precaution, any time you get wheels/tyres changed or fitted check them yourself before you move on.

Did the whole hub come off with bearing? Or just the wheel? Bolts sheared off or intact if you found any?

Did the whole hub come off with bearing? Or just the wheel? Bolts sheared off or intact if you found any?
Just the wheel. I managed to find most of the bolts, intact, around the area. When the wheel came off I was in heavy traffic and with the momentum put that side up on pavement - no pedestrians. It damaged the hub so that's why that had to be replaced.

I always check my wheel bolts myself, no matter who has done the work, that way I KNOW they are tightened to the correct torque.
You don't need anything fancy, a Toolzone one that goes up to 200+NM off Fleabay. Adjustable Torque Wrench 42 - 210Nm 1/2" Square Drive Hand Ratchet Tool | eBay
1620466134113.png

Set it at 180N and you can periodically check them for peace of mind and after any work that involves removal of the wheels.

Last edited:
I always check my wheel bolts myself, no matter who has done the work, that way I KNOW they are tightened to the correct torque.
You don't need anything fancy, a Toolzone one that goes up to 200+NM off Fleabay. Adjustable Torque Wrench 42 - 210Nm 1/2" Square Drive Hand Ratchet Tool | eBay
View attachment 115132

Set it at 180N and you can periodically check them for peace of mind and after any work that involves removal of the wheels.
Thank you @Loz that's just what I need.

View attachment 115132

You shouldn’t leave a torque wrench set. when stored you should release the tension on the spring.

Would love some advice please. I took off my standard tyres (215/60r17) and put on BFG 225/65r17 and had the wheels powder coated. When I dropped the wheels off to be powder coated the garage put substitute wheels on. I drove a mile away and a wheel came off. Fortunately I was travelling very slowly. The garage came right out put the wheel back on and my car went into another garage who replaced wheel bearing and hub assembly, brakes & discs and had tracking done. The wheel coming off really shook me up and I am so nervous about my tyre set up now as I changed them based on information I found on this thread and no professional has looked at my van and said that is ok. I know it is unreasonable but I am worried all the time I am driving now. I would be grateful for reassurance that putting the larger tyres on the wheels that are meant for 215 is ok and nothing is going to fall off. Also, the garage replaced the locking wheel nut - are we meant to have special locking wheel nuts on vans because these seem to be regular locking wheel nuts. Thank you very much. I've lost it. I'm worried about everything now. Vans looking good though.View attachment 115065
Hope you are all sorted now after your mishap @Another planet. Your van is looking good.
As I may of said before, considering getting my Devonports powder coated...did you get spacers too? thanks mate.

I'm still debating what to go for, need to decide soon as front tyres are nearly worn out.

What tyre size are people going for on 18s? Tempted by this style of Amarok alloy, not sure on the width https://www.t6forum.com/threads/amarok-18”-wheels.26489/ I'm thinking of General Grabber AT3s or Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus as I'm weighted towards road driving more than off road.
Spotted TransporterHQ are using 235/55R18 104H General Grabber AT3s on this T32 in
If I went for these, that would put me at -3.62% on my speedo which seems fairly close.

Is 104 definitely good enough for a T32? 900KG per wheel. Not sure what the front/rear split in the weight is - full camper conversion in the rear of mine.

Pirelli don't seem to do a similar size for the Scorpion Plus All Terrain tyre. This tyre seems to be more road biased according to reports here but I don't want to go bigger really.

Spotted TransporterHQ are using 235/55R18 104H General Grabber AT3s on this T32 in
If I went for these, that would put me at -3.62% on my speedo which seems fairly close.

Is 104 definitely good enough for a T32? 900KG per wheel. Not sure what the front/rear split in the weight is - full camper conversion in the rear of mine.

Pirelli don't seem to do a similar size for the Scorpion Plus All Terrain tyre. This tyre seems to be more road biased according to reports here but I don't want to go bigger really.
I have 235/55/18 104H on my T30, 104 is certainly enough for your T32.
It's a good size IMHO, it's a little more sidewall than OE so it fills a bit of the arch gap, but isn't too big so gearing and speedo aren't badly affected.

£289 for powder coating and best tyre price I have found so far is £560 for 4
That is/was good price...my local guy wants £500 incl vat to do four wheels and starfish's....almost worth the trip to your guy to do them if I pull the trigger. How long did he need them for?

Back