AdBlue Discussion and Issues

Hi folks, looking for a wee bit of advice as I'm an Adblue newbie.

Just bought a 2016 T6 Startline, when scrolling through the menu on the dash the Adblue range shows as "-- -- --"

Could it be a sensor error or just not reset when last topped up?

Hi folks, looking for a wee bit of advice as I'm an Adblue newbie.

Just bought a 2016 T6 Startline, when scrolling through the menu on the dash the Adblue range shows as "-- -- --"

Could it be a sensor error or just not reset when last topped up?
Have you got a blue AB cap by the diesel filler? Some early T6s didnt have adblue

Help!
I added 10 litres of Adblue when the dashboard said I had 300 miles remaining, but my dash is the basic version, so doesn't tell me exact amounts to add like the fancy MFD.
The next day the light came back on telling me I had 650 miles remaining.
I've used it for several short journeys since then and it's now saying 500 miles.
But I'm about to drive from Cornwall to Kendal!
Did I not add enough to trigger a reset?
Or did I add too much?
Don't want to get stuck 350 miles from home!

I added 10 litres of Adblue when the dashboard said I had 300 miles remaining, but my dash is the basic version, so doesn't tell me exact amounts to add like the fancy MFD.
It seems that your van stumbled across a strange software quirk - suddenly dropping to 650 miles. If I read the above correctly that the warning was gone after the refill??
Has the engine got a software update in 2019 or later - it's supposed to fix this annoyance.
Or did I add too much?
10 litres is just perfect - the reset threshold is approx. 4 litres (when such low). It could have taken quite a few litres more up to the brim.
At 300 miles the van would have asked for approx. 7.5-12.0 litres for fill-up.
T6_AdBlue_950km_d.jpg
I'm afraid that there is no simple DIY fix for this, unfortunately - other than just drive and hope it resets the counter - eventually. It did that (the reset) for me every time...eek.gif And since the software update not seen again...

Help!
I've used it for several short journeys since then and it's now saying 500 miles.
But I'm about to drive from Cornwall to Kendal!
Or did I add too much?
Problem solved!
I did the 400 mile drive to the Lake District and arrived with "No start in 100 miles" showing on the dash and the AdBlue light still illuminated.
Next morning I fired up the engine and all the warnings had vanished
So I reckon the 10 litres I added last month must have been just enough to cover the sensor and prevent it reading properly, and the drive North was thankfully just long enough to bring the level back below the sensor before the countdown ended!
Maybe next time I'll try adding 9 litres...

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
Is 5000 miles the maximum it can say?

I had mine down to a few hundred miles and filled it up with 10L back in February and have driven at least 3000 miles since then and it’s only just gone to 4500 miles

Filled mine yesterday and it’s now 13,000. But it is a 2021 6.1, and I think those have larger adblue tanks now

So here we go again driving back from the Lakes on Friday via amongst others Skipton & Halifax et al all was well until about Oxford on the M40 when yet again the Adblue warning came on going from 4500 miles to 650 so thats twice in less than 3 weeks. I put OBD11 reader on today and got 4 fault codes come up all related to Adblue/EGR issues so into the VW garage tomorrow to see if they can sort it! Thank the lord for extended warranty . I am really getting teed off with this and regret not buying a Euro5 engined T6. its pathetic that a company like VW with their resouces can't come up with a permanent fix for this.Added to this the side door closure guide pin mechanism at the bottom of the door has disentegrated No more VW group products for me the next car at least will be a Korean at least they are reliable!
I have exactly the same problem as you. My T6 went into VW garage last October and they tell me they did the software update. Between then and last week I had no problems. I went to France last week for a long awaited holiday in the van within an hour of being in France the Adblue warning light came on asking me to top it up with 5ltr. Which I duly did but the level of adblue prior to this showed 3000 miles left! Nothing for about an hour and the warning counting down, now at 600 miles, all of a sudden it disappears and shows 5000miles available. Good to go. 75 miles later adblue warning back on at 650 miles and counting down! 600, 550, 500 I add another 1 ltr to the tank and 50-60 miles later adblue warning disappears and 5500 miles available. About an hour later on our way back up to the ferry terminal in Normandy it happens again 650 miles warning and counting down. This stayed on until it got to 400 miles just outside Cardiff and changes to 5500 miles again and no warning light! It has totally ruined our holiday. Completely stressed me out. VW haven't got a clue what it is and can't look at the vehicle for a month. This is the second time this as happen to me, same scenario going to Scotland last year. I have no faith in the Euro 6 engine wish I had bought a T6 with the euro 5 engine, although I had no idea that was an option until recently. And before anyone posts remarks about not reading the dash or overfilling the adblue tank don't because I did all that! I don't want to sell then van but see no alternative.

Back