AdBlue Discussion and Issues

VW service department will always say no updates. Even if updates are available they won't bother updating any controllers unless there are some issues with it.
The cynic in me says that they could make more money by ‘diagnosing’ a problem rather than preventing it.

Do you happen to know the date/name/number for this one if so I will ask the question next Wednesday when it goes in.
Most likely I do - however the identifiers of the current software are needed to pinpoint the update.

A VCDS or OBDeleven scan would do the job. Or Carista "Detailed ECU Info".

Alternatively you could use free Android app "VAG DPF free" to disclose your current software identifiers - see below the two lines at the bottom.
VAGDPF.jpg
The app uses any generic OBD dongle (e.g. the same you used with Torque).

Last edited:
Our van has ongoing issues with P20EE / 31103 errors. It's done the adblue range and no restart warning thing once too, but that went away by itself.

VW have already updated the software and replaced 'something' (they mentioned glow plugs, but I don't see how that's related!) under warranty, but it's thrown the same errors again over the weekend.

Here's what the relevant bit of the Carista detailed ECU info says:

Code:
Engine
Part #: 04L906056KG
Component: R4 2.0l TDI
Software version: 6168
ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_ECM20TDI03004L906056KG
Coding: 00254014436401090000 (hex)
Fault codes:
31103 Manufacturer-specific code

EML normally comes on after a couple of hours motorway driving and we mostly do trips of 40 minutes plus in it. Are there any known fixes or do I just keep taking it back to VW and let them change stuff randomly in the hope it goes away?

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
Most likely I do - however the identifiers of the current software are needed to pinpoint the update.

A VCDS or OBDeleven scan would do the job. Or Carista "Detailed ECU Info".

Alternatively you could use free Android app "VAG DPF free" to disclose your current software identifiers - see below the two lines at the bottom.
View attachment 132363
The app uses any generic OBD dongle (e.g. the same you used with Torque).
Hi I have just checked my van with this app and the results were :-
SW04L906056KA/4047. HW 04L907445. Eng/ Year CXGB/2017. R4 2.0L TDI
So looking at previous posts they seem to suggest that I have older software. I would appreciate it if you are able to confirm.
Thanks

Hi I have just checked my van with this app and the results were :-
SW04L906056KA/4047. HW 04L907445. Eng/ Year CXGB/2017. R4 2.0L TDI
So looking at previous posts they seem to suggest that I have older software. I would appreciate it if you are able to confirm.
Thanks
Yes, there is a newer software for this engine 04L 906 056 KA - 6163
Address 01: Engine (2D2D2-CXGB)
Part No SW: 04L 906 056 KA
Component: R4 2.0l TDI H02 6163
E.g. the above is extract from a VCDS Scan of same year CXGB engine with updated software (below)

Yes, there is a newer software for this engine 04L 906 056 KA - 6163

E.g. the above is extract from a VCDS Scan of same year CXGB engine with updated software (below)
Thanks very much. Thats very useful it should help tomorrow morning when I take the van in or serve to irritate them at least!

Thanks very much. Thats very useful it should help tomorrow morning when I take the van in or serve to irritate them at least!
So I got the van back today it was in for 2 days. The software has been updated it is now the 6163 release, not sure they would have done it if I had not made the suggestion! Its had an EGR flush but I am waiting for the full report to come through. (all the work was done under the Extended warranty)
I think that they are a bit put out when a customer dares to present things like OBD11 data ! I will take the van for a good run tomorrow to check it out but I guess time will tell as to how permanent or not the fix is!

• Love
hello,
mine is a 102
software is 6163
VW just replaced glow plugs (cylindre 3)
P20EE and P204F come back
restart warning in 1000 km too,Adblue level is well.

• Wow
hello,
mine is a 102
software is 6163
VW just replaced glow plugs (cylindre 3)
P20EE and P204F come back
restart warning in 1000 km too,Adblue level is well.
Welcome!

Do you have this light on?
1636842265636.png
Do you have any more data - there should be so called freeze frame data with the fault code.

I drove about 20 km, cleared the default codes.
I drove around 3000 rpm again and the light went out.

With VCDS
You could save the VCDS Auto-Scan into a text-file and then attach the file here. Also, English version of VCDS can be installed on your computer - it won't interfere the French installation. However, the log/scan files for English version will be in folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs.

Back