AdBlue Discussion and Issues

Thanks Gordon for the update and interesting..I cannot verify my information i was given about the free egr flush. It came from someone i don't know (carbon clean business) from i colleague of his. Glad you mentioned it though.

I have seen the info elsewhere and they have said that they will reimburse me for the £118.20 if VW agree to do the EGR for free. I can't get an appointment until mid September, so hopefully it will hold out until then! Haven't got the bottle to do it myself!

Emmissions Lamp came on last weekend whilst on a run out to the coast. I had done a few short journeys over the Christmas period so assumed it would clear itself. There were no symptoms of any issues other than the light. No loss in power, increase in consumption etc. I had re-filled the ad-blue a month or so ago when I put a 10l drum in as requested on the dash, I think I had ran it down to 1,000 miles or so and it wanted 9-11 litres. Did the 30--sec waiting trick and the re-fill was registered as normal.

The light didn't clear itself and I ended up ringing VW Roadside Assist on the Sunday morning to come and read the fault code at home.

The code was P20EE which apparently relates to the ad-blue software and would have to go to the dealers for update.

The van was booked in for Monday lunchtime at Cleckheaton who gave me a courtesy van to get me home. I picked the van up the following day, though it was ready before close the same day.

I now have a stamp for free ad-blue filling for the next 8 refills.

I had read about the potential software issue before purchasing and it didn't really put me off. Got to say it was a fairly hassle-free experience.

2019, 102hp, 6k miles.

Emissions Lamp came on again last week. Again, no loss in power, no noticeable difference to the way it drove.

I took the van out for a run up the motorway and sat at around 3k revs. The following day the light went out. Unfortunately it came back a few days later so I called VW Roadside Assist out. The engineer couldn't fix the issue so was referred back to the dealer. Error code was P0401 which required EGR valve flushing.

EGR valve was flushed and the issue has apparently been resolved.

The VW Roadside Assist engineer suggested that he has to deal with these issues on a regular basis.

See how long we last until the Emissions light comes back on. It has got me thinking about buying the additional 2 years warranty!

Reactions: CAB
Quick update - after a near three-week wait van dropped off at dealers on Monday this week, they confirmed a flush needed again. Here's the rub- there is no flush fluid available and on backorder -due by end of this month! ( up to 10 days time). They suggest not driving the van and leaving with them or it will lose its place in the queue- they have 4 other vans waiting for the same procedure! The dealers are communicative and helpful and have requested a loan car however the process is currently very slow!!!!!!! They claim VW won't replace the valve but will only flush. This palava certainly takes the shine off the T6 as each visit at a dealers 20 miles away can take days.

Quick update - after a near three-week wait van dropped off at dealers on Monday this week, they confirmed a flush needed again. Here's the rub- there is no flush fluid available and on backorder -due by end of this month! ( up to 10 days time). They suggest not driving the van and leaving with them or it will lose its place in the queue- they have 4 other vans waiting for the same procedure! The dealers are communicative and helpful and have requested a loan car however the process is currently very slow!!!!!!! They claim VW won't replace the valve but will only flush. This palava certainly takes the shine off the T6 as each visit at a dealers 20 miles away can take days.
Looks like a case of hopeless stock control, makes me wonder how a business like that can survive......probably by screwing customers over with pricing.

Afternoon All
First time on the forum. I'm just on my way to VW Colindale to pick up my t6, this will be for the fifth time in 21 months since buying. Always the same issue being adblue system. From 6500m you hear the bleep on dashboard and now it says 650 m and the obligatory spanner. 3 occasions it's a electronic problem but twice (Jan 2020 and again this week ) seeming "rodents have gnawed the optical wiring", and the only option so the dealer says is "to replace the unit - that's £466.00 please".
I asked today if they couldn't surround the wiring with wirewool or place a metal cover over that area? They say not possible.
This is my first VW van after 30 years of Vauxhalls and to say the least I'm really disappointed and angry about the seeming exposure of these wires. There must be a better design plan that VW should be using to stop such a basic flaw.
So to all you t6 drivers, watch out for "the rats" or all you're get is a nice bill ever so often... what a joke!!

e71f8414-13ef-4f34-932b-0c2ef8dd22b1 - Copy.JPG.jpg

Erm yep
OMG lol
Truck took it away this morning.
Oh well guess its going to be a long weekend !
One of my ex-employees put 15l of adblue in the fuel tank and kept trying to start his van.

It was a £7k insurance claim, good luck, hope you fare better.

One of my ex-employees put 15l of adblue in the fuel tank and kept trying to start his van.

It was a £7k insurance claim, good luck, hope you fare better.
I was lucky
Just drained the tank and changed the filter
The engine was only on long enough to be able to push the van a few feet
£7000 !!!!
Are you serious ?

Hi all, close to buying my first van, a T6 Kombi, 150 diesel. I’ve just come across all these issues with Adblue and it’s putting me off making the purchase!
The van I’m planning on buying is a 68 plate 2019 DSG.
Would I be right assuming that this is an ongoing (potential) problem, even to newer/new vehicles?
Thanks for your help

(copied and pasted from another discussion to make sure its hopefully in the right place!)

This happened to me a coupler of weeks ago on the way to Norfolk I called VW assist and the guy came out could not find a fault he topped it up (about 2litres) so no level problem. the warning was still on. We decided to carry on and about 5 miles down the road the readout went to 600miles! Shortly after that it suddenly went up to 6000 miles and has been fine since so a bit of a mystery!!
Took the van in for its service today and mentioned the Add Blue event in March he reckoned that it happens sometimes if the engine is doing a regen and then injects Add Blue it can confuse the system and then after a while it catches up with itself! Not heard that one before but he was definitely aware of the issue! and he agreed its not a good system! VW need to sort it out but I don't thnk they will (not enough money in it for them) Goodwill counts for nothing these days!

Search is your friend, loads of threads about this. :thumbsup:
Thanks for your reply. I read through all 18 pages on this thread + others that I saw. I didn’t recall seeing anything relating to newer vehicles being affected (or not), that would have been after the recall and issues coming to light, so thought I’d ask the question. Apologies if I've missed it in one of the various threads I’ve read

From what I've read most issues are with people overfilling the ad blue tank...

There was a recall and a software update on some older models... your van will still be under warranty... if you're buying from a dealer insist the van has all the latest updates...

From what I've read most issues are with people overfilling the ad blue tank...

There was a recall and a software update on some older models... your van will still be under warranty... if you're buying from a dealer insist the van has all the latest updates...
Thanks for your reply. It’s from a main dealer so I’ll check/make sure they’ve been done.

Yes, then just don't overfill it... you cant do much more than that... on the whole it seems a minority suffer problems.. but it shouldn't put you off buying...

Hi
you guys you state £400-£600 for cooler valves is this the EGR valve I keep having too get flushed at VW dealers?

the price of £1500 is a gestimate that VW assist told me when he came too give van it’s SICK NOTE
and yes mine is 2017 2.0 - 102
As said nice van this EGR is doing my head in
vw don’t care and running out of warranty in November don’t want too be spending £4-600 quid every 6-8000 miles on new parts

I’m sure there is some very clever guys out there who can side swipe or fix this carbon issues on this T6 engine
I gut feeling vw are leaving us too end of line just waiting for the big pay off when you have no options left

thanks for support you guys
all the best
Royboy
I have t5.2.0 102 (remapped). Was having EML on for EGR. Quoted 600 for replacement. Which I did really have. Then my remap guy suggested shutting the EGR down from ECU. Cost 80 two years ago, ran Wynnes DPF clean through at same time. 16k no issues

Four flushes on the caravelle in 3 years, and just about to pick the kombi up after its first flush during my ownership (picked up in march). Looks like this is all part of t6 ownership. You would have thought vw would have been on top of this since the emissions scandal.

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Back