AdBlue Discussion and Issues

Experienced same problem for the first time this week. Driving along motorway when ADBLUE ERROR message displayed and the range dropped from 3500 to 650 mile warning. After driving another 30 minutes the range reverted back to 3500, but I have been left with the orange fault illuminated near to the 6 o'clock position on the display. My vehicle is a March 17 T6, with the warranty expiring 4 weeks ago (slightly extended due to Covid). I have booked my van into the VW West Yorkshire van centre for next week and have been notified this will be as a retail customer unless VW instruct them to deal with it under as goodwill. My previous dealings with VW don't fill me with great hope and any additional advice to point the technicians in the right direction would help. i.e Is there a known update for VW T6 102 EURO (MARCH 17) vans ? or am I likely to be in for the long haul legal battle to resolve.

I had the same issues , backward and forward to VW , reset this , reset that, blah, blah, blar. New adbkue injector.
Told them about an ecu update, i heard from this forum, which they dismissed. Problems persisted , same as yours. Went for an oil change , 'oh there is an ECU firmware update we believed there told me. Had this done and issue was fixed immediately not had an issue since, touch wood. I believe the updated is maybe more injection quantity as I had to sign paper work after that stated I may or may not use more adblue depending on my driving syle. They handed.me a.piece.of A4 paper with 8 free refills. I have to say I not noticed any difference in adblue fluid use. All is still well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Experienced same problem for the first time this week. Driving along motorway when ADBLUE ERROR message displayed and the range dropped from 3500 to 650 mile warning. After driving another 30 minutes the range reverted back to 3500, but I have been left with the orange fault illuminated near to the 6 o'clock position on the display. My vehicle is a March 17 T6, with the warranty expiring 4 weeks ago (slightly extended due to Covid). I have booked my van into the VW West Yorkshire van centre for next week and have been notified this will be as a retail customer unless VW instruct them to deal with it under as goodwill. My previous dealings with VW don't fill me with great hope and any additional advice to point the technicians in the right direction would help. i.e Is there a known update for VW T6 102 EURO (MARCH 17) vans ? or am I likely to be in for the long haul legal battle to resolve.
Hi

I’ve done 2000 miles since getting it back. They fitted a new inlet manifold and egr pipe work and cleaned egr etc.
Whilst the engine now feels more responsive and fuel economy has improved, I haven’t had the EML light up with the fault code, I have had it come up a few times as pending though so will just have to see what happens.
My adblue level has been stable with no issues and the consumption seems less.
I’d take it in and get them to read the code initially and go from there under goodwill. If you clear it, it may not come up again for a while. VW Technical will be aware of faults and advise accordingly although can be painfully slow process. My van has spent 49 days in the garage since Xmas. Covid obviously stretched this out or that was the excuse!

just reading back over these posts, my 2019 caddy has had this issue since new now on 20k just over one year old.
I am still waiting for vw in huntingdon to call me!!!! to say there is a update for my eco guess what no phone call in the last 6+ months !!! now trying another dealer to see if I can get it sorted, see what happens .......

OK here is where I am with mine. 2018 T6, have had some issues with ad blue that it is not funny anymore. lucky enough its still under warranty. Last time it happened, about 3 months ago. dropped from 6500KM to 1000KM. This is about the 15th time its happened. my dealer is clueless. No idea what's going on with it. So this is what happened last time it was in.
They did a compression test on the engine - Passed
Took intercooler out and checked it - passed
Pulled the full wiring loom out, hoping for a bad connection. - passed
VW Germany sent them a 50 point check list to go through, guess what all passed
They eventually said that they dod a test on the ad blue injector, it was injection 48.5mL ad blue and should have been 50+ mL, so they adjusted that
VW Germany said to change the nox sensor, local dealer did that 3 times already, but heck why not do it a fourth time, so they did.

have her back two months and did 8000 KM, filled her with ad blue last week.
No issues since. But I need to change the van. Got no faith in it and I need the van to work for me.
Local dealer is trying to do a deal for me with VW but to be honest, I'm leaning away from VW. I've had a horrible experience with my first VW and I went all out to get as many extras as possible. The damn thing cost me a fortune.
The only thing I know is I have not put it into cruise control since I got it back, and have no issues. Previously, id be in cruise control, (a lot of the time) and the ad blue error would come on.

OK here is where I am with mine. 2018 T6, have had some issues with ad blue that it is not funny anymore. lucky enough its still under warranty. Last time it happened, about 3 months ago. dropped from 6500KM to 1000KM. This is about the 15th time its happened. my dealer is clueless. No idea what's going on with it. So this is what happened last time it was in.
They did a compression test on the engine - Passed
Took intercooler out and checked it - passed
Pulled the full wiring loom out, hoping for a bad connection. - passed
VW Germany sent them a 50 point check list to go through, guess what all passed
They eventually said that they dod a test on the ad blue injector, it was injection 48.5mL ad blue and should have been 50+ mL, so they adjusted that
VW Germany said to change the nox sensor, local dealer did that 3 times already, but heck why not do it a fourth time, so they did.

have her back two months and did 8000 KM, filled her with ad blue last week.
No issues since. But I need to change the van. Got no faith in it and I need the van to work for me.
Local dealer is trying to do a deal for me with VW but to be honest, I'm leaning away from VW. I've had a horrible experience with my first VW and I went all out to get as many extras as possible. The damn thing cost me a fortune.
The only thing I know is I have not put it into cruise control since I got it back, and have no issues. Previously, id be in cruise control, (a lot of the time) and the ad blue error would come on.
I know exactly how you feel, it has put me off the brand tbh with my experience, I also own a T6 but with the euro 5 engine and that has been no bother at all but I definitely will not be buying another VW. I was going to keep my caddy for 5 years but I may just get rid of it when the warranty runs out!
like you say the dealers are clueless and just try the same things over and over again. I did a factory order with lots of extras on and I need it for work every day but if I had not brought it outright I would have returned it after only a few months

Morning all..

I’m having ongoing problems with the EGR valve on my MY18 204ps tdi. Just for a bit of background, I use my kombi everyday and it does plenty of long journeys with my heavy foot.

I’ve had the yellow eml light come on three times since I bought the van in September last year. Each time I’ve had vw assist out and the van has gone into the dealers. The fault code is always P0401.

The van has had an EGR flush in Dec 18, Feb 19 and June 19. Surely this isn’t acceptable and the dealer should be changing the valve? I’m interested to hear where other members have had their EGR replaced? I have also opened up a case with VWCV customer care for what it’s worth..

View attachment 45647
Hi Buddy,
Woudl be really interesting to know if you have had this resolved, I had my 206ps on a rolling road and appears down on power. much investigation and everything ruled out as ok. went to VW inverness and they find the EGR sticking intermittently fault. woudl not do a flush on it as the engine light was not on. interestingly was advised that the EGR flush can be done under warrenty up until 5 years, even when you have a 3 year warrenty. VW well aware of the sticking fault and as a result do nothing about it. I am going to raise a complaint with VW too as the vehicle is down on power and likely due to this fault as well.. Have you ever had the power checked at the crank on a rolling road or able too. mine was reading abour 175bhp and loweron torque too.

Remember that EGR Valve sticking and EGR Cooler flush are two separate components/faults/fixes

I have a 2016 T6. I have a full tank of Adblue but a warning light telling me there is only 650 miles left in the tank. The garage that supplied the vehicle has fitted a new sensor and driven the vehicle back to me, 80 miles. I turned the engine on and the warning light has come back on! This is not the first time but third. I have only had the vehicle 4 months. My vehicle is booked into a VW Commercial Dealer to sort the problem.This thread talks about a software update. Is it that simple?

I am booked into VW Van centre on the 29th, to try and get a resolution. It won't surprise anyone to hear that VW say they are not aware of this being a regular and persistent problem. Thanks to all those who have replied to my entry and any anyone who previously contributed as it has given me valuable info. I will share any progress I make.

Hi All

Started having the same issue....engine light is on and it's reading as a EGR issue. The garage I take it to said the part would be around £400 and that it would take about 3-4 hours to replace, which would be another £120-160.

I saw the video on how to clean the EGR valve and I've seen it done on a T5 but I can seem to locate the valve on my T6. Has this been made more difficult/impossible to do by yourself? Can anyone point out where the valve is if it can be done? Thanks

Best
Gordon

I've been getting a P040100 egr pressure error occasionally on my T6/T28 , I clear the codes down , it lasts a while before coming back on.

I was dropping some bike bits off for a customer at my cleaning guy, I asked him about aquablasting egr coolers, he said he does it all the time, £40 for the cooler to come back looking like new, inside ....

I guess I'll be popping mine off next time it happens, thankfully it's pretty accessible on the 102bhp motor :)

I have a 2017 T6 102hp Trendline, doesn't do many long journeys but a couple of 20 mile fast runs a week. On my third Orange engine light, 1 flush last year at 10,000 miles VW came out and have been helpful. now at 20,000 ( low miles as the van was a demonstrator for a year) light on again VW Assist have been helpful say flush needed. Dealers very busy due Covid, 3 plus week wait.
A couple of questions - is it safe to drive- was driving well, best ever in fact since a couple of weeks ago when had a software upgrade for Adblue issue ( VW Assist ) due to warning light saying I was out of Adblue and car would stop and not start- tank had 4500 miles reading and had been filled within last 1500 miles- anyone else had this?
This seems like a common problem and tedious- has anyone been successful recently in getting any answers - a new EGR under warranty?
Anyone got this problem outside of warranty- how do VW respond?

The reason I ask about safe to drive with EGR light on is I'm due to go on holiday shortly before dealers can fit me in - a 200-mile trip

The reason I ask about safe to drive with EGR light on is I'm due to go on holiday shortly before dealers can fit me in - a 200-mile trip
Personal choice, but I wouldn't risk taking it on that sort of journey with a known problem, in case it goes in to limp mode or worse. :(

@DDR Fan, I’d be telling the dealer that you’re not happy driving the van in it’s current state. When mine needed flushed last time the first date they could get me in a courtesy was two months away. I rejected this and spoke to the service manager and was in a courtesy car the next working day.

IMO the EGR is an emissions thing, not a performance/mechanical issue so its just an annoying light and MOT failure as far as I'm concerned so I would just go on holiday and summon VW Assist to my campsite if it went to limp mode.

Hello all

So still no luck in finding a diagram/video anything that will show me where the EGR valve is on the T6. Is there not anyone on here who can point me in the right direction? I'm not driving my van at the moment and I haven't worked in 4 months so that's why I need to try and clean it myself, otherwise I'd just get it done at the garage. Thanks

Gordon

Hello all

So still no luck in finding a diagram/video anything that will show me where the EGR valve is on the T6. Is there not anyone on here who can point me in the right direction? I'm not driving my van at the moment and I haven't worked in 4 months so that's why I need to try and clean it myself, otherwise I'd just get it done at the garage. Thanks

Gordon
Which engine code is it, 4 letters on the V5 engine number?

Remember that EGR Valve sticking and EGR Cooler flush are two separate components/faults/fixes
As Loz pointed out there are two potential issues with the EGR, valve and / or cooler.

Hello all

Gordon
How about this shot from google that I annotated, hoes that help?
1596115878772.png
From the workshop manual in downloads.
1596116066837.png

Back