AdBlue Discussion and Issues

The warning light really pisses me off, reminding you in 1500 miles you need it!! Wtf!!! I hate warning messages a simple 50 mile warning like your fuel will be ok!! Rant over :)

Ok so have this error even after my vans erg valve has been replayed by a main dealer after 6000miles.

OBDeleven scan finds this error and can be cleaned but after a short drive returns.

any ideas guys?

main dealer says;
Then I would say that all control units on the vehicle are working correctly and talking correctly with each other.
If no engine lights are on the vehicle, the systems are working as they should be.
The entry P046C has no relevance on its own and can be ignored.

thoughts?

I have seen and cleared that fault on mine before;
15560 - EGR Sensor 1
P046C 00 [108] - Implausible Signal
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 17135 km

Implausible signal means it measured a value that is out of the expected range, can be intermittent and caused by low voltage during starting etc. or a faulty component.

The priority is 2 "The fault requires an immediate service appointment." but in my case the fault frequency is only 1 so only recorded once since cleared so not enough to bring on the Mil light..

The AdBlue warning light came on. I stopped at the garage and refilled it. Followed instructions in manual regarding restart. AdBlue warning light still on and still displaying 650 miles NO START.

WTF? I'm over 650 miles from home with a van full of wife and kids.... HELP!!

Turn it off and key on ignition and leave it for a minute without engine running see if it catches up

My sensor played up, not to this extent, but as soon as I topped up with diesel it sorted it self.

Mechanic bloke says the sensors knackered/dodgy. He has cleared the fault list. Then he went for a complete battery reset. Neither worked. There were 11 faults registered? All to do with 'Sensor Voltage Fault'. I will ask him for the fault code gents.

Last edited:
Here u go guys. Mechanic says these are the fault codes. If any of you know any more about this issue with the adblue sensor or how to resolve it let me know. It's not the first time my van has been in the shop for this....

20180726_183439.jpg

I'm on hols in Spain without my t6 kombi because of a my Adblu warning light.... new ECU being fitted

What was the issue that you had mate if I may ask? My van is back in the shop AGAIN next week. Adblue light is back on/off/on/F***** off again after only sorting it yesterday! I'm aware that there is a very common problem with the adblue but I can't find anywhere in writing that states VW acknowledge the fault and will fix it under warranty!

Sounds silly but are you over filling at pump? This causes issues with sensors apparently?
Need to follow filling amounts on MFD.

My original issue was a small sort of cough after about 5mins of driving.
We planned a trip to Spain so I thought I'd better book her in as her first service was due in November (T6 SWB 66reg 150 kombi 10k on the clock) and we're doing alot of miles.
The engine light had been going on and off every know and then when she did this cough thing.
They serviced it, cleared the codes and said everything was fine.
Pretty much straight away the same thing was happening again except driving along the M4 she did a slightly bigger cough and my Adblu went from 4000 miles to 600 miles.
I took her back to the dealership, the codes wouldn't clear, they tried updating software but nothing worked so a day before our trip they admitted defeat and said it needed a new ECU.

When I bought my van April it said 4,500 miles to top up, 5k later it’s only reading 3,500 miles, can’t seem to get my head round it, maybe worth topping up in case I get stranded somewhere :(

Mine eventually went for approx 7300 miles from new and then filled up with a 10 litre container.
I have a very light right foot though.

Hi guys,

I’m driving the new T6 and I love it. It’s my first VW and I’d never drive anything else again. So, where I’ve been working in Ireland the past while there aren’t many places selling adblue and I had no opportunity to purchase it. By the time I got it I was down to 100km in the tank. I then added 10L of adblue but the gauge never reset. I rang VW and they said there was no issue but it took a minimum of a three quarter capacity fill to reset the gauge. So if it’s a 20L tank and you don’t refill by at least 15L it doesn’t reset. They told me that Because I added the original 10L there was no danger and to just get another 10L when possible, fill the tank to the top and the light on the dash will go off. My problem is in the meantime I turned off the van, the van thinks it’s empty even though at no point has it been empty and won’t restart. I’ll have to get VW to look at it Monday but has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks.

Hi guys,

I’m driving the new T6 and I love it. It’s my first VW and I’d never drive anything else again. So, where I’ve been working in Ireland the past while there aren’t many places selling adblue and I had no opportunity to purchase it. By the time I got it I was down to 100km in the tank. I then added 10L of adblue but the gauge never reset. I rang VW and they said there was no issue but it took a minimum of a three quarter capacity fill to reset the gauge. So if it’s a 20L tank and you don’t refill by at least 15L it doesn’t reset. They told me that Because I added the original 10L there was no danger and to just get another 10L when possible, fill the tank to the top and the light on the dash will go off. My problem is in the meantime I turned off the van, the van thinks it’s empty even though at no point has it been empty and won’t restart. I’ll have to get VW to look at it Monday but has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks.
Hmmm... It is only approx. 13 liter tank. Old owner's manual (2015 revision) stated that when tank is empty minimum refill should be at least 7 liters. The latest revision (2018) doesn't have that statement anymore :unsure:.

You probably have tried to turn ignition on (not starting the engine) for at least 30 seconds. That's supposed to force the engine reread the AdBlue level. I think that's all you can do...

EDIT: For the records please - which engine, manual gearbox or DSG, FWD or 4Motion?

Last edited:
Back