I think I’ll hire one of Leighton Vans for a day with the 20s before committing the money.
Leighton vans are generally all lowered (which may impact the ride as well as the 20" wheels) so bear that in mind.

Last edited:
Mines running std shocks and springs. Getting lowered next week, so it may all change then

I'm on 20s with the std shocks and 40mm lowering springs as supplied by Leighton, 275/40/20 103 tyres (need 103 as T32). I'm booked into CRS on Thursday to change the std shocks to Konis.

I have my Caravelle lowered on staggered velare 20 wheels with 265/40 tyres. It’s on twin adjust projekt comfort coilovers that aren’t all the way down.
The arch lining has been modified slightly by removing screw at top of arch and folding liner under tab. It’s fine on a roads and B roads mostly but if I hit a ‘bouncy’ undulation in the road it will catch the arch enough to make me cringe and my backside to clench!!
Question is - is there anything else I can do to mod or do I need to raise it? Images of vans on 20’s wound all the way down suggest it’s doable?! Thanks

6B7A92FB-8098-4B0B-874B-72B2F437E14A.jpeg

32845212-69A6-4440-A505-9944CFE6DE6C.jpeg

805A9E18-93B6-4E6F-8D69-AA576DA679C0.jpeg

Love how your wheels fill the arches. The van has a discreet “wolf in sheep’s clothing” look about it!

Less is more!

I have my Caravelle lowered on staggered velare 20 wheels with 265/40 tyres. It’s on twin adjust projekt comfort coilovers that aren’t all the way down.
The arch lining has been modified slightly by removing screw at top of arch and folding liner under tab. It’s fine on a roads and B roads mostly but if I hit a ‘bouncy’ undulation in the road it will catch the arch enough to make me cringe and my backside to clench!!
Question is - is there anything else I can do to mod or do I need to raise it? Images of vans on 20’s wound all the way down suggest it’s doable?! Thanks

View attachment 89343

View attachment 89344

View attachment 89345

What widths are your fronts? They look either a bit too wide or the offset is too far out.

Can you see where its rubbing. If its the inner liner then use a heat gun to move liner further out/up. I have a slight rub on mine, but not enough to bother me.

Are the dampers/shock absorbers, within the twin adjust projekt comfort coilovers, built by Koni for the Twin Project company? If so, are the dampers adjustable for damping?

Dropped vans are really not my thing but I understand, it has something to do with aesthetics? That the appearance is the the most important requirement? Then achieving the best handling and ride characteristics is always going to be a difficult and a compromised task. As Jog has stated, razing the height, will give more suspension travel and if the damping is adjustable, then, stiffening one click, might encourage the dampers to get a grip on things. You could try that. Perhaps one thing at a time and noting what the difference might be, taking note and so on.

View attachment 89343

View attachment 89344

View attachment 89345
I'll second @Tourershine comments, those fronts do look like the width/offset isn't quite right for you. You should be able to run at the height you are with a 265/40. I have done so myself in the past and my van is lower than yours at the time. Of course, changing the front wheels for ones more suitable is a more expensive fix than raising your ride height a little.

I'll second @Tourershine comments, those fronts do look like the width/offset isn't quite right for you. You should be able to run at the height you are with a 265/40. I have done so myself in the past and my van is lower than yours at the time. Of course, changing the front wheels for ones more suitable is a more expensive fix than raising your ride height a little.

Thanks yeah I think changing the wheels isn’t an option so will look at having to raise a few mm if I need to

Are the dampers/shock absorbers, within the twin adjust projekt comfort coilovers, built by Koni for the Twin Project company? If so, are the dampers adjustable for damping?

Dropped vans are really not my thing but I understand, it has something to do with aesthetics? That the appearance is the the most important requirement? Then achieving the best handling and ride characteristics is always going to be a difficult and a compromised task. As Jog has stated, razing the height, will give more suspension travel and if the damping is adjustable, then, stiffening one click, might encourage the dampers to get a grip on things. You could try that. Perhaps one thing at a time and noting what the difference might be, taking note and so on.

In theory the damping is adjustable but was told not to start fiddling with settings in that regard...
the actual ride is good /handling etc is great

Not too crazy 8.5 on front and et 35 I believe...
This is correct.
We fit this size all the time with that tyre size too, and you can usually go max on standard coilovers without issue - a Caravelle is heavy so will always sit lower. Have you seen underneath exactly where it’s rubbing. Can you get a picture - might need to go a bit more aggressive with your modification.
The fact you’ve already done the modification is odd you are still rubbing. We get less issues with this size than the 275/35.

This is correct.
We fit this size all the time with that tyre size too, and you can usually go max on standard coilovers without issue - a Caravelle is heavy so will always sit lower. Have you seen underneath exactly where it’s rubbing. Can you get a picture - might need to go a bit more aggressive with your modification.
The fact you’ve already done the modification is odd you are still rubbing. We get less issues with this size than the 275/35.

Thanks Olly I’ll try take a picture tomorrow- I’m assuming it was where that screw was as it got a bit better when removed it and was catching outer edge of tyre..

Perfect. We can take a look and advise from there.
Van looks very cool by the way, that’s. A great combo with the Velare wheels.

Much chat on tyre size but I remain none the wiser as to the best tyre size to go for.

I'm looking at some 20" ET40 9J wheels...

255/35/20 are perfect in terms of circumference vs. speedo etc but impossible to get correct load rated tyres unless you go with some total rotters
265/35/20 is only 1% error but the same load rating issue applies
265/40/20 almost a 5% error but nobody seems to mention them
275/40/20 is what most people seem to go with but that's over a 5% speedo error and 275 is pretty wide for a 9" wheel
275/35/20 is only a 2% error but concerns remain over the 35% profile vs potholes etc although I'm told that's what VW fit to their 20x9 wheels despite the excess tyre width

Then you need to consider a standard speedo already over-reads so the above errors may actually correct that. Plus tread wear from 8mm to 1.6mm...!

I'm probably gonna go with 275/35/20 but will go with some shitters first so I can experiment with tyre pressures and won't mind binning them off if the low profile is too uncomfortable. I can then upgrade to some decent tyres once I think I'm happy.

Speaking of tyre pressures...I see everything from 36 to 48psi. Will probably open that can of worms at a later date and accept it depends on your van. Mine will be a heavyish camper doing long motorway journeys so I guess slightly higher pressures for fuel economy may be better but happy to be corrected.

And I haven't even decided how much to lower by yet...feedback welcome as ever!

Back