Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters
I've ordered these, just waiting for them to arrive, they can't be any worse than halogen bulbs that's in just now, I tried the predecessor to these on my last van and the were good, hopefully the decoder will be small enough to squeeze in behind the cover as well

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Philips-LED-Chips-160W-16000LM-H4-9003-HB2-Headlight-Kit-H-L-Beam-Bulbs-AK3-/361874763243?hash=item54416aadeb:g:BOIAAOSwA3dYcy1b&_trkparms=pageci%3Aa4403755-dc38-11e6-90da-005056b68989%7Cparentrq%3Aa955372e1590a357f24c7fd5ffb6a7e7%7Ciid%3A1
Any updates would be appreciated i have been looking at similar items myself but a bit unsure about weather they will fit with the dust cover. The other thought i had was to get new dust covers printed with a 3d printer but looking into this idea would mean submitting a 3d file of the item concerned. Way beyond Me

Any updates would be appreciated i have been looking at similar items myself but a bit unsure about weather they will fit with the dust cover. The other thought i had was to get new dust covers printed with a 3d printer but looking into this idea would mean submitting a 3d file of the item concerned. Way beyond Me
Another option I was considering was modifying existing cover by cutting a clearance hole in it for heat-sink and making a new dome from a piece of plastic (aerosol lid etc) and silicon sealing it onto cover to provide more room. Maybe won't look too pretty, but should stop water/dust ingress to lamp ass'y

Following on from an earlier post, I am a little bemused as to why a friend and his business partner seem okay with their H4 lights - I'd say almost everyone is annoyed with their H4s, there's a bit of a mix on H7s (I'd say I'm okay with them but they could be better - however they aren't dangerous) yet this chap has a new T6 and so does his business partner. When I asked him if he's happy with the lights he had no hesitation in saying they were fine. And this is a chap who is careful with money but has an awful lot of it (ex stock broking business Partner, massive houses, very wealthy); his other cars are an oldish A6 and a Citroen MPV (yuck!) with Halogens.

I'm not doubting the H4s are bad but could it be a large batch of rubbish bulbs or light units? I notice on screenshots that the H4s look REALLY yellow- almost brown in fact. My H7s are fairly white. It just bemuses me why some of you have such terrible lights that clearly aren't safe yet a mate with two Highlines is okay with his.

More or less "forcing" customers into spending £1600 on lights by making such poor standard ones is near criminal IMO. As is smug LED owners rubbing it in. :sneaky:

Of all the cars I've driven (probably 100s), only Defenders have been truly awful for lights; yet not many of them have had even xenons. It's just a weird thing to drop the ball on so badly.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is rubbing it in, the LED owners have probably highlighted, no pun intended, the fact that the H4's seem rubbish by posting that the LEDs perform really well.

The headlights in my works 64 plate transit connect are absolutely pants too, struggle to see anything at night, the only way to know if they are on is too look at the dashboard illumination.

I don't think anyone is rubbing it in, the LED owners have probably highlighted, no pun intended, the fact that the H4's seem rubbish by posting that the LEDs perform really well.

The headlights in my works 64 plate transit connect are absolutely pants too, struggle to see anything at night, the only way to know if they are on is too look at the dashboard illumination.

But standard lights should at least be safe; of course upgraded ones are "better" but that's honestly not the point at all.
When you drop North of £30k on a van (or even £10k on a car!), lights shouldn't be an issue. And some may not actually want LED lights - when going through the options list, I did mention them and my wife said absolutely no way because she thinks they look chavvy. While I'm not sure whether I agree or not I do think many DRLs look pretty awful - Land Rover is particularly guilty. And some LED lights are just too dazzling - Mercedes is the worst current offender.

IMG_2699.PNG
Head lights only
IMG_2700.PNG
Full beam
IMG_2701.PNG
Head lights and fogs not full beam
It the dark zone in front of the van that makes them look bad

T5 suffered from the dark zone too even with the uprated Caravelle H7 units.

I totally agree with you @Polzeylad you should get a lot better, not just because of the initial van price but with improved technology out there the headlights should be a lot bettter than my old 72 Beetle.

I've not got them yet but will put something up here once fitted and tried @Paul Morley , at £40 if they're not good at least they're not too expensive

I drove home tonight on full beam........20 miles and no one flashed me! I hasten to add, I wouldn't normally do this but it was just an experiment.

Sorry @mopardave if I told you then I'd have to ..... Sworn to secrecy and know that if I were to tell you @T6 Dave wouldn't let me have a drive. The dark Brittany skies (very, very rural with no light pollution) will tell the effectiveness or not of H4s.

Back