Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters
@ZipcodeUK, if you want we could meet up on a dark straight bit of road between Middleton and Brackley and do some side by side comparisons of your H4's next to my LED's. Not trying to take the piss, but it might be very interesting the comparison between what is supposed to be the best versus the worst?
As long as passers by don't think your doggers :)

I will take a few more next week with the fogs off . If it wasn't such a pain I would put the standards back in to compare .
I have finally got a set of rear t30 springs to fit to my t32 so that should drop the rear and lift the lights so will see how that helps before adjusting them.
I will get a full beam shot as I could not drive with mine on and cars coming the other way even with them dropped down.
image.png image.png
I have put these up before you can see how brown the standard bulbs are. Don't think I have ever had car with lights like this before. My ford anglia has whiter lights.

Last edited:
Had my first drive in the dark tonight and I can confirm the LED lights are awesome. Nearly cried at the price but now consider it money well spent.

Took another photo today. I am woundering if it's a batch of bad bulbs as this is with the Philips white vision and fogs on . Taken with iPhone at head height would be good to see more with standard bulbs.
View attachment 4094
Is that photo the B3055 towards Sway. My lights on my Skoda Octavia aren't much better on that stretch. I've tried to upgrade my forthcoming T6 to either H7 or LEDs but it's too late in the process. I'm ordering 6 metric tonnes of carrots as mitigation :)

Picked up my Kombi this morning and drove in the dark for the first time late afternoon, and yes they are pants lights!

I had a 50cc moped in '79 that may have just been worse, but not by much.

There has to be a way to upgrade them, I have seen some great projector conversions to Audi A3 and A4's so will investigate what might be possible with a contact from the Audi-Sport forum.

Surely the designers at VW understand that vans are driven in the dark?

Not been affected by the H4 issue too much as I don't drive that much at night these days. However, I'm currently sitting outside my wife's work to pick her up having driven a few miles in the dark, light rain with lots of standing water. F@&£ me, they're crap to the point of being dangerous. Needed to check to see if the switch was still on auto! Had to light the front up with my fogs to get any sense of forward illumination. :(
May need a man with a red flag for the return journey !

A problem as I see it with LED bulbs in our application (other than potential dazzling issues) is the large heat sink at the rear. Having this prevents the lamp housing cover going back on which would, I'd have thought, risk a build up of condensation on the inside of the light assembly.
I will give LED bulbs a try if some shallow depth ones can be found which allows the access cover to go back on.

I've had to cancel my appointment at the dealers tomorrow to get the lights looked at as I'm off for a couple of days for a meeting.
Now booked in again on Monday.

yes thats going that way Stueyhants . I go from ferndown to Lymington every for work but it was raining today so will take a few more when it dry .Its a shame you can't add the leds.

yes thats going that way Stueyhants . I go from ferndown to Lymington every for work but it was raining today so will take a few more when it dry .Its a shame you can't add the leds.
I was a bit puzzled why I couldn't add them as well. I haven't got a formal build date yet but it's ordered through happynewvan so I suspect they don't want the hassle of changing the order. Oh well, it's £1600 I can spend on something else. It's only really dark for 6 months of a year.....what could possibly go wrong.

A problem as I see it with LED bulbs in our application (other than potential dazzling issues) is the large heat sink at the rear. Having this prevents the lamp housing cover going back on which would, I'd have thought, risk a build up of condensation on the inside of the light assembly.
I will give LED bulbs a try if some shallow depth ones can be found which allows the access cover to go back on.
Maybe these?
http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/headlamp-cree-led/5th-gen-4000-lumens/h4-5th-gen-4000-lumens

I've ordered these, just waiting for them to arrive, they can't be any worse than halogen bulbs that's in just now, I tried the predecessor to these on my last van and the were good, hopefully the decoder will be small enough to squeeze in behind the cover as well

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Philips-LED-Chips-160W-16000LM-H4-9003-HB2-Headlight-Kit-H-L-Beam-Bulbs-AK3-/361874763243?hash=item54416aadeb:g:BOIAAOSwA3dYcy1b&_trkparms=pageci%3Aa4403755-dc38-11e6-90da-005056b68989%7Cparentrq%3Aa955372e1590a357f24c7fd5ffb6a7e7%7Ciid%3A1

By all means give them a go, but think it'll be tight to get the cover back on. Might also get the 'bulb out' light on the dash

Back