Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters
Interesting point I have just realised from looking at the T6 bulb specs that was linked to by @Pauly on another thread. I have seen all the comments about the lights being rubbish, but have I found them pretty OK, despite coming from a previous vehicle with Xenons. I ordered the Light and Vision Plus pack which gives you the twin headlamps as the daytime running lights are separate. Looking at the bulb list, the twin headlamps come fitted with H7's as standard rather than H4's, so you are getting better bulbs and double the number of them. Presumably still not as good as the LED's, but on the Highline its a £456 option compared to £1344 for the LED's

The problem is with the standard H4 specc'd lights. I'm sure you'll find the H7 lamps fine, but for the rest of the H4 brigade it's a solid diet of carrots.

That looks so much better! I'd happily buy a replacement set of headlight back covers to drill and modify so the decoder can be mounted outside the light. The lampniut warning would really bug me though :(

Think I read some other thread saying you can switch off individual bulb warning lights so maybe get some feedback on how to do that,

Does anyone know if you can get the headlight covers seperately (the ones under spring clip) and how much they are, as I would happily drill them and reseal to suit

Just had the AA out for low oil warning. He turned up in a new T6 and he also said he had real problems with the headlights and has replaced them with xenon bulbs. Massive problems with the reversing light too and he's ordered an LED version from eBay.

We discussed the best way to raise this issue with VW a while back in the thread.......what if we all got in touch with VW customer service and set some hares running? Thoughts anyone????

Great idea but how many are needed to make a difference we all know what VW are like , tough cookies to crack.
Maybe some complimentary xenon bulbs for all there loyal customers could be a good starting point ☝️

:thumbsup:Just bought the Phillips lamps thom euro car parts reduced to£22 and weekend voucher code reduces them a further 30% to £15.39, bargain but be quick offer ends tonight

In a very unscientific test I have upgraded my
That looks so much better! I'd happily buy a replacement set of headlight back covers to drill and modify so the decoder can be mounted outside the light. The lampniut warning would really bug me though :(
I think you can fit a resistor to avoid the warning light. e.g.:
LED LOAD RESISTOR KITS

In a very unscientific manner I fitted Philips WhiteVision (+60%) bulbs, but then also got the dealer to check/fix the aligment (he said they were misaligned before).

The good news is I drove last night on very dark roads and there is a a big improvement :) I just can't tell you if it's the bulbs or the alignment. More likely both.

I've also got a set of Philips RacingVision (+150%) which I might fit if I can face another session of hand mashing!

Anyway, worth getting the alignment checked!

I have contacted VW customer support.
They have said the first port of call is to get your lights checked out at a dealer which I've been trying to do but work has got in the way.
I guess the best way would be some kind of group petition. An online form where everyone could sign and then after a certain time it could be presented to VW.
Dribs and drabs will be easy for them to ignore. A group action will get more attention.
The fact that the AA man who came out to me this evening mentioned the crummy lights in the 2nd sentence he spoke to me would suggest to me that this isn't going unnoticed.

Back