Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters
I have posted up my thoughts on what we need to do to get some recognition as far as a fairly detailed and documented test, as then we are able to show that a). We are serious, by the fact that we have taken the trouble to document it. B) that we have a valid point that they can see on paper in front of them (harder for them to ignore, dispute, deny etc). But until I get hold of my beastie, that's all I can do. :rolleyes: I look forward to some suggestions. Oh and my suggestion of delivering a signed petition to the factory, would also be able to hit the local media, a thing that they might not want from a foreign user given their recent media exposure! :thumbsdown::whistle::whistle:

We could all drive there in our vans through the night with mag lights gaffa taped to the wings..

IMOH petitions are rarely more than a publicity stunt. Thousands of letters aimed at an individual would be far more effective.

In a very unscientific manner I fitted Philips WhiteVision (+60%) bulbs, but then also got the dealer to check/fix the aligment (he said they were misaligned before).

The good news is I drove last night on very dark roads and there is a a big improvement :) I just can't tell you if it's the bulbs or the alignment. More likely both.

I've also got a set of Philips RacingVision (+150%) which I might fit if I can face another session of hand mashing!

Anyway, worth getting the alignment checked!

I've just ordered the +150% Racing Visions.... made use of the discounts on eurocarparts so only cost about £23 which i figured is cheap enough and certainly can't be worse than the stock bulbs currently fitted! Will do a couple of before and after pics.

Think I read some other thread saying you can switch off individual bulb warning lights so maybe get some feedback on how to do that,

Does anyone know if you can get the headlight covers seperately (the ones under spring clip) and how much they are, as I would happily drill them and reseal to suit
Hi Again does the dust cover fit the light unit with these bulbs fitted I realize you may not have fitted it because the wires prohibit fitting but could you drill and fit a grommit and mount outside the headlight

Hi @Paul Morley yeah they fit in fine, you need to remove decoder and thread it through spring clip and unscrew the heat sink till bulb is in place, once bulb is in place screw heatsink back on and re attach decoder. I also had to adjust the orientation of the bulb 1&1/3 marks clockwise of bulb backplate centre position to get beam pattern to lie horizontal ( you'll see the marks if you get these bulbs)

I then pulled the two wires that go in and out of decoder to top of headlight back cover and got spring clip just to catch cover temporarily. If you put a small notch the size of the two wires in cover it would probably still seal around the foam seal inside cover rim.

So I got to the dealers in the end as I was due to fly out of the country but the flight was cancelled due to fog.
Left them with the van and came back later and was told all perfect and the lights are working as they should.
In discussion I brought up that they were pitiful and was met with a response of, "well sir it depends what you're used to driving, you should try my old fiesta or my daughters old horse box etc..."
I'll now send a message to customer services and see what the response is.

Does anyone know if customvans retrofit the led headlights? Just been looking at their website and nearly all of them don't have the bumper washer cut outs. I thought this was compulsory with led headlights?

Some of the early T6 with LED did not have them as they were a seperate option, then it was changed to included them with the LED option. I think it was done becanse now LED lights surpose to have them by law , but i may be wrong with that one ??

Interestingly hazzydayz now offer LED conversion for £2250 + vat but it does not include washers or self levelling, add that back on it gets bigs bucks again
I abandoned my investigation into LED conversion as thought the levelling would be compulsory but they seem to think not, i asked my MOT guy and he said they check the manual adjuster dial operates the headlights so if fitted it should work
I also wonder if fitting the headlights without self levelling would give you the LHD option in MFD

Some of the early T6 with LED did not have them as they were a seperate option, then it was changed to included them with the LED option. I think it was done becanse now LED lights surpose to have them by law , but i may be wrong with that one ??
Yep like mine, LED but no washers, be interesting if VW have sold me an illegal van, plan to have MOT done before warranty runs out just in case!

Self levellers are not an not requirement on hid or led. However if you have them fitted they must be working or someway to adjust from the drivers seat.

Thats what my MOT man said, as there is a rotary dial for manual adjustment at present he suggested it should work for MOT purposes

From the DfT Information Sheet on Aftermarket HID Headlamps 2010:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. - who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly in the same way as any other headlamp.

I found somewhere else that the requirement for self levelling and cleaning only applies to lights over 2000 lumens, so assuming the LED regs are the same as the HID regs, perhaps the early T6 LED lights were under 2000 lumens which means they did not need self levelling and cleaning?

It would be interesting to get a statement from VWCV on what the output of the early LED's were. If they are over 2000 lumens and they supplied them without levelling

Incidentally, 2000 lumens is relatively not that bright. There are plenty of LED mountain bike lights now that kick out over 3000 lumens

From the DfT Information Sheet on Aftermarket HID Headlamps 2010:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. - who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly in the same way as any other headlamp.

I found somewhere else that the requirement for self levelling and cleaning only applies to lights over 2000 lumens, so assuming the LED regs are the same as the HID regs, perhaps the early T6 LED lights were under 2000 lumens which means they did not need self levelling and cleaning?

It would be interesting to get a statement from VWCV on what the output of the early LED's were. If they are over 2000 lumens and they supplied them without levelling

Incidentally, 2000 lumens is relatively not that bright. There are plenty of LED mountain bike lights now that kick out over 3000 lumens
I've got self levelling so halfway there.
Have a spare squeeezy bottle and some tube so I could rig up a cleaning system!

What i would like to know is who tests for light output in lumens i thought they only test is that they work and the light aim was correct on an mot if that were the case would the existing H4 lights pass an mot

Section 1.7. The link will download the mot manual from the UK gov.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...KLJ_ZP33Vw9F665Ew&sig2=_KWrkjzNeMva5Lah7LAX-g

In a nut shell self levellers are not a requirement. Many cars dont come with them with hid headlights.

What i would like to know is who tests for light output in lumens i thought they only test is that they work and the light aim was correct on an mot if that were the case would the existing H4 lights pass an mot

I have attached the full document I quoted from. It states that the UK implements ECE 98 which mandates self levelling and washers for all HID lights over 2000 lumens. In another document I have attached which is a response to a Freedom of Information Act request, it states in relation to the MoT test:

"6) The test in Great Britain is required to comply with the European Framework Directive on periodic technical inspection. In this regard the annual test is to be amended in April this year to include the satisfactory operation of automatic levelling and washing systems where these are fitted. However, these systems are not mandatory for all vehicles fitted with HID lamps as it is dependant on light output and/or suspension movement. As it is not possible for a tester to determine at the time of test (annual or roadside) whether these components are required, there is no reason for rejection, either in the directive or the amended manual."

My interpretation of that is that you could pass your MoT but still be illegal as MoT stations have no way of checking the lumen output of lo

Attachments

• 13_013(1).pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 2
  • aftermarket-hid-headlamps(2).pdf
    41.9 KB · Views: 4
Back