Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters
Thanks Polzeylad and Pauly.
I definitely have the dreaded H4's... grrr. Do the H7's make a huge difference? and if so any ideas if they are a plug and play swap? Why didn't I spec LED?!? ARGHHHHHHH

ooo Pant Terrors any links to the type you tried? Im currently driving around with high beam on and the lights angled down.. my cr*ppy ford ranger work truck has a better light output. Roll on 26th March

Its stunning that the salesman who got the commision for my van just did transporters and didn't know crap about them. There was a Caddy salesman, and a Caravelle salesman. And a whole seperate block doing VW cars. My guy was so non plussed that I turned up at all. I think the Transporters sell themselves so much that the buyers are already decided and need to be clued up as the sales staff are just shooting fish in a barrel. It's why Forums like this are worth their weight. We need a list of "must have extras" on the forum list to help new buyers. My vote for top ten is: Led headlight, followed by H7, followed by Comfort dash.

Yes: LED HORIZONS are the website and the H4 CREE bulbs are the ones, although I must stress that despite their claims....... they may not be for road use.......as they may have used the mysterious act of "lying", the Russians have used it apparently, though it is not confirmed..black ops stuff."

H4 Hi/Lo Philips LUXEON ZES Headlight Kit - 4000 Lumens
By the way, I don't condone the use of non road tested lights. I tried these and took them off as I was unsure of their legality. I live in the countryside but near lots of town traffic and deemed these as anti social, if I lived in the mountains they would he deemed as essential !

Hi @Jonathan Gleeson. May I suggest that you look at the Thread on this Discussion entitled T6 Lamps And Bulbs where you will find on page 9 how VW Commercial Vehicles wish to deal with this issue when @Polzeylad raised it with them and you should read on to the end of the Thread as that is the source of this poll by @BIgben. I am trying to help you and am not trying to teach Granny etc etc, but this is a subject that has engendered much comment about the perceived poor performance of the H4 headlights.
Good evening Dave's Dad, thanks for the message, I bought two " Ring" xenonmax H4 bulbs today, they say on the box that they are 100% brighter than a standard bulb, Ring sell 40% 60 % and 100% brighter bulbs. these ones I bought from a car motor factors where I do some work and cost £24.00.
I will get them fitted over the weekend and take a picture of my van with another T6 ( sparky mate) and lets see if they make a differnece

On the subject of lights bloody cyclists with led lights pointed up at eye level are becoming a pain, I'm all for being seen but some are blinding.....

I have a 1700 lumen bar light and a 500 lumen helmet light but strictly for off road cycling; far better than H4s and H7s.

At least us halogen light T6ers can't be accused of dazzling anyone! I do find some lights too bright; recent Mercs are particularly bad.

Morning all ! @Polzeylad it appears to a simple chap like me that not only is it a matter of lumens but also how well they are reflected and projected.
Totally - while 1700 is more than almost any car headlight, the "throw" isn't that far (doesn't need to be). - that's what the helmet light is for (narrow beam, long throw) and wouldn't suit a car but what IS lit up is almost like daytime. Definitely not all about lumens but it can be a useful guide.

@Paul Morley If you have had your vehicle inspected by your VW Dealer and they have found nothing wrong and you still have concerns about the performance of the H4 lights on your vehicle then either write to the DVSA expressing your concern or complete the form. Should you choose to write then you could also mention that others on this forum have also expressed profound dissatisfaction with the performance of these H4 lights. But do think carefully as to what you do next.

Last edited:
Hi all, might be worth a bit of a poll on this one, or threatening VW with it if they don't at least look at a H7 upgrade under a "goodwill" gesture. I would also suggest that we might petition the factory direct? As a forum, If still no joy, then bring out the howitzer.:thumbsdown: Having not taken delivery of my H4 T6, I cannot advise as to what to do, but having found the form I think that it gives us leverage against VW. I also think that the above action needs to be done after giving VW a bit more time than a few weeks to gather an impression of the problem, maybe a face plant and twitter petition, where you put in your chassis number, and when a magic number is hit it is presented to VW factory?

Last edited:
@T6 Dave There is a poll at the start of the thread, you on about a new one. I can't comment on the problem at the moment as I'm still awaiting my Cali but it does had an exterior pack which as far as I know has a light upgrade to H7's as well a fogs. no doubt I'll get corrected if I'm wrong

@Roadrunner , yep thanks for that one, wasn't clear enough me thinks.. I meant a poll ref action to take it up a notch to DVSA.:thumbsdown: The petition would be after the poll, that is running, and the chassis numbers show the vehicles effected and that we arnt making up pollsters or petitioners. Maybe delivery of the petition could be to the factory in a H4 equipped vehicle?

Back