Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters
I've had a look into the minimum requirements - sadly they seem to only be based on wattage and not brightness (usually lumens) so I think it's a case of VW taking the absolute cheapest/worst option but probably "just" scraping over the minimum wattage requirement.

In saving themselves a few bob with their suppliers they have seriously annoyed 1000s of loyal customers.

@Polzeylad, of course one candle in an open field is no use, one candle in a focused reflector is useful. It strikes me that the design of reflector to the H4 bulb is wrong, especially as the H7 Lights seem to perform much more effectively yet will have the same legal maximum wattage. Strangely, the H4 system with Phillips Vision + bulbs that are claimed to give 60% more output are still only described as adequate. I forsee problems for VW if they don't deal with this quickly. I am not in a position to take action as I am not a T6 owner, but I would pursue this using the Motoring Associatons (AA, RAC etc) if I were. They are NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE in my opinion.:mad:

Last edited:
I've got Philips extreme vision + in mine and they are still shocking. They are marginally better, but nowhere near what I would call adequate. Someone needs to come up with a conversion to led.

LED conversion would be great! I would say even if we could get a temporary bulb swap fix that was 50% brighter even that would be great for the time being.
The standard lights on damp / dark nights are really poor.

Full led conversion is not really viable, to do a conversion the levelling system has to be installed along with the relevant control modules, very expensive and very time consuming to install, that's why companies are charging a few grand to do it

I assume these are the LED's on full beam?

Starts on normal dipped headlights, at 35 seconds you can see/hear the main beam come on then around 50 seconds they go on and off and you can really notice the difference in light length

Pauly, do the t5.1 lights fit a T6? Guessing not as no one has mentioned it before.... but I'm hopeful as there are a number of good quality aftermarket light units for the T5.1 out there which have significantly better light quality than the T6 does.
Either that or we have to await for one of these companies to catch up with a T6 fitment headlight unit.

Wings are definitely different
Pauly, do the t5.1 lights fit a T6? Guessing not as no one has mentioned it before.... but I'm hopeful as there are a number of good quality aftermarket light units for the T5.1 out there which have significantly better light quality than the T6 does.
Either that or we have to await for one of these companies to catch up with a T6 fitment headlight unit.

Starts on normal dipped headlights, at 35 seconds you can see/hear the main beam come on then around 50 seconds they go on and off and you can really notice the difference in light length
Oh how I wish I could travel back in time an spec LED headlights on my t6 :(

Even if VW offered an LED upgrade at the original option price I would be happy with that.

Hazzydayz.com offer the upgrade but it's about £3500!

Even if VW offered an LED upgrade at the original option price I would be happy with that.

Hazzydayz.com offer the upgrade but it's about £3500!
I would pay the original upgrade cost too. When I see a T6 with LED's I always curse them "damn you LED bugger" :cautious:

The t5 base headlights were absolutely shocking. Upgrading to the oem xenon style projectors was a vast improvement.

I was not going to have that issue with the t6. Led it was. Those h4s are very very poor.

Back