Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters
See my post above. I believe that the the H4 headlights are NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE and warrant professional, independent, assessment by organizations such as the AA and RAC. I trust that all who have the H4 headlights and commented here have participated in the poll because it is no use whinging about this if you are not prepared to take concerted action as a group. You can see that from VW Commercial Vehicles UK's reply elsewhere that they would rather deal with your complaints on an individual basis than face the possibility of a Class Action. Remember though that there is strength in numbers and a united front. I can do little more in this matter as I am not a T6 Owner, but if I were you would find me in the vanguard of getting this sorted properly in the interests of ROAD SAFETY. They are your loved ones that you are driving around with these dangerous lights so DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

I am going to give the dealers the opportunity to check them/level them/adjust them and then I think I will contact VW and Watchdog

Have you seen how that is dominating the other forum?
Yes it did become rather a big issue but as it never affected any of our trips, it wasn't a massive headache. The other problems we had with ours were rather more annoying.
Hoping it's a problem now gone on the T6z

See my post above. I believe that the the H4 headlights are NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE and warrant professional, independent, assessment by organizations such as the AA and RAC. I trust that all who have the H4 headlights and commented here have participated in the poll because it is no use whinging about this if you are not prepared to take concerted action as a group. You can see that from VW Commercial Vehicles UK's reply elsewhere that they would rather deal with your complaints on an individual basis than face the possibility of a Class Action. Remember though that there is strength in numbers and a united front. I can do little more in this matter as I am not a T6 Owner, but if I were you would find me in the vanguard of getting this sorted properly in the interests of ROAD SAFETY. They are your loved ones that you are driving around with these dangerous lights so DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
Hi i have just contacted the rac regarding thus matter and there responce was as follows

Dear Mr Morley

Thank you for your email. Regrettably, RAC would not be able to advise you on this matter. You may wish to contact either VOSA or the DVLA who may be able to assist.

Regards

David Matthews

Customer Care Executive

T. 03301590324 - option 3

E. dhmatthews@rac.co.uk

Hi @Paul Morley. If you are a member of the RAC then surely you are entitled to their Technical Assistance? I can understand the reluctance of the RAC to get involved if you are not a member, but if you are a member you deserve better than this :notworthy:

Ok, I will get involved to a degree here, but bear in mind, I haven't driven a H4 equipped T6 at night as yet, as mine is going through some hoops before I get my hands on it.

Some MOT station headlight beam adjusters also measured light output, this was to assess the effectiveness of the reflectors, a current one shows beam adjustment and spread, so might be with a go and taking a pic of the resultant pattern that you see through the window on the machine.

Another thing to consider, is getting a GOOD light meter (camera) to measure the light strength at set stages compared at the same time with a cars headlights parked next to it, note one vehicles lights on at a time. ALSO measure the ambient light at the time at the same points with ALL lights OFF to give a background assistance value.

GOPRO footage at night is CRAP! (I have one), BUT, having said that, is a known "standard", footage of tests should be taken, and any cameras used (suggest a pro or good DSLR ) should have make/model and lens / exposure etc recorded per shot (available on photo file info). Location, time and date as well as conditions should also be noted.

TEST DISTANCE. Suggest that one is the distance you are expected to be able to read a number plate @Thogg can confirm this as a serving traffic officer, and might be able to suggest other distances etc as a professional driver that he would expect to have good light coverage. TARGET : suggest an eye chart and a vehicle be included, front and rear number plate at same time, and a pedestrian scene.

Sorry for the essay!

Last edited:
I'm afraid I'm of little help here. I have to assume that The H4's are compliant with the minimum standards required... (you'd hope after the emissions farce that VW wouldn't drop a bollock that large)
As far as driving goes.... we are taught that you should be able to stop safely in the distance you can see to be clear. I guess in this case you'll be travelling pretty slow!
I really can't comment on the effectiveness of the H4 lights as I don't have them. Or a van yet as it happens!
What I would say is that a lot of con and use and Highway Code stuff dates back years and years and is barely relevant to today's modern vehicles. Want a test ? Go take your car and drive at 60... perform an emergency stop on a dry road that's flat ( and empty!!!!!) reckon it'll take you 240ft or 73 metres to stop... ??
The con and use regs are 30 years old now...! Lighting regs will be based on vehicles that age..
Anyway... if the users are saying they aren't fit for purpose the next stage has to be to get VW to admit that they are not fit for purpose... and issue a recall...
Sorry if that's all a bit slopey shouldered! I'm still recovering from the mocking I'm getting elsewhere on the forum!
I will say this..... I'm bloody glad I at least went for H7's!!!!

Has anyone got some pictures of the 2 types of standard headlight units available? The h7 variety and the h4? I'm confused as to what type I have :/

H7s have a horizontal DRL at the bottom of the light unit.
You should be able to see H7s in my avatar photo or media photos.

The H4 DRL is at the top (I think) of the unit and is a lot squarer.

H4 have a single dual filament bulb that does dipped headlight and main beam
H7 have two lamps one for dip one for main beam

I've tried an LED CREE H4 replacement bulb upgrade. Error lights aside they are great, but I can't be sure they are not peeing off oncoming traffic as they are not legally tested, (I took them out). Very acceptable for me though and gave a great light output..... I will go for the H7 full headlight upgrade at,some point soon. I will put good quality legal H7 dipped bulbs in the new lights and naughty CREE high beam in the other sockets, and add light bars if I'm still not happy. As much as it is good to give VW bad feeback on a classic "miss" I feel that we should not hold our breath on a massive upgrade unless they have produced a headlight that is "illegal" and get on with sorting out our own problem, which in most cases is our own dealers not pushing us towards essential extras in a "I REALLY recommend you add a headlight upgrade sir/madam if you want to see at night at all, the standard lights are not the van's best point".

Back