Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters
Got any photos of the fit by any chance.As i have been asking this question for a while whats your opinion on them i would be grateful for any info you can give
Hi @Paul Morley, sorry no pictures and I see they have updated the eBay description saying not suitable for German cars.. I had no issues with canbus bulb error on mine at the time, but t6 might be more sensitive than caddy. Beam pattern was perfectly matched to h4 and pure white colour. I had another look at fitting them in headlight today and there is no way bulb and decider will not fit inside headlight together

Good evening All, " Pauly" I have been really concerned about the poor headlights, was working with 2 other sparks today, who both have the 4 X 4 vans and are both really cross at the dreadful light output. Can VW be approached what is the way forward clearly there is a big issue, you pay £30k and don't want to drive in the dark,
Many thanks Big J

Hi @Jonathan Gleeson. May I suggest that you look at the Thread on this Discussion entitled T6 Lamps And Bulbs where you will find on page 9 how VW Commercial Vehicles wish to deal with this issue when @Polzeylad raised it with them and you should read on to the end of the Thread as that is the source of this poll by @BIgben. I am trying to help you and am not trying to teach Granny etc etc, but this is a subject that has engendered much comment about the perceived poor performance of the H4 headlights.

I think they are adequate but will be replacing bulbs at some point!

As promised VWs response to my complaint not totally unexpected just a fob off next stop VW van Center to get them checked there perhaps if a few more owners made a complaint they might sit up

img001.jpg

I have been driving with the front fogs on which have undoubtedly improved the situation but I'm unsure of legalities of using them when it's not actually foggy.
In the past, Traffic police would stop and caution young drivers who did this as a 'fashion' statement but with the recent trend of additional led drl's in a lot of newer cars, I'm not sure if they are so interested nowadays.

Driving in to work this morning in damp conditions and with no additional moonlight to supplement ambient light, they were really pretty poor and that is with uprated Ring 120% lamps fitted.

I have been driving with the front fogs on which have undoubtedly improved the situation but I'm unsure of legalities of using them when it's not actually foggy.
In the past, Traffic police would stop and caution young drivers who did this as a 'fashion' statement but with the recent trend of additional led drl's in a lot of newer cars, I'm not sure if they are so interested nowadays.

Driving in to work this morning in damp conditions and with no additional moonlight to supplement ambient light, they were really pretty poor and that is with uprated Ring 120% lamps fitted.
So you would agree that they are no good?
I've also contacted VW and have had the reply to contact my local van centre so when I'm back in town I will make an appointment to have them checked out. Then if there's no improvement I guess I'll have have a better grounding for complaint.

Fairly sure that only applies to rear fog lights

Reactions: CRD
I took a few photos today and you can see how much better it is with the fogs/corner lights on. I have Philips white vision h4 and standard fogs.
If you don't have fogs it could be worth a up grade
IMG_2670.PNG
Without fog on
IMG_2665.PNG
Fogs on.
You can see the dark area in front of the van due to the bulb being to far back in the unit. I have never driven any thing with this and find it a lot more relaxing with the fogs on
I drive across the forest every day and don't get flashed so use them all the time.
The photos give a true likeness to what I see .

Good pics! Look I agree they aren't the best but they work hence I said adequate. They could be better though I agree!

So you would agree that they are no good?
I've also contacted VW and have had the reply to contact my local van centre so when I'm back in town I will make an appointment to have them checked out. Then if there's no improvement I guess I'll have have a better grounding for complaint.
Oh, I agree they are poor, make no mistake.

I took a few photos today and you can see how much better it is with the fogs/corner lights on. I have Philips white vision h4 and standard fogs.
If you don't have fogs it could be worth a up grade
View attachment 3940
Without fog on
View attachment 3941
Fogs on.
You can see the dark area in front of the van due to the bulb being to far back in the unit. I have never driven any thing with this and find it a lot more relaxing with the fogs on
I drive across the forest every day and don't get flashed so use them all the time.
The photos give a true likeness to what I see .
Wow, those pictures. The uncomfortable truth.

Back