Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters
They do fit, but i wouldn,t say ok, you have to leave the dust covers off, and all the wiring is a bit tight,

Give it another month or so when the longer days arrive and the headlights issue is going to be forgotten about.......

...until November.

Give it another month or so when the longer days arrive and the headlights issue is going to be forgotten about.......

...until November.
Ha ha!
I have to say, we rarely drive ours at night as it's purely a camper not a daily driver.

My missus REALLY doesn't like the LED daytime lights either; one went past earlier with them and she did the sort of dismissive sigh and put down only a lady can manage.
I did chuckle a bit...

So, finally spoke to VW customer services.
After a few missed calls and an answer phone message or two over the last few weeks, I got a text yesterday asking me to call the team regarding my contacting them. If they didn't hear from me they would take it I was no longer needing to speak to them and the case would be settled...
So I took the plunge and called them. Finally someone answered. I Spoke to a lady who asked me for the details of the van and where I got it from etc then asked what my problem was.
I explained that the lights were akin to a 6v beetle and so she asked me if and where I had them checked out. I explained that I had already been to Heritage Vw in Dorchester and they had given it a clean bill of health, and said that vw van lights are just not very good. To which she replied that there was nothing more she could do except apologise for me not being satisfied but as they were working that was that. She would feed back to vw my thoughts and it would be logged..
No amount of my protesting or suggesting that she should give it a go driving by candle light, or
So I guess thats clear, the lights are crap, get over it.
All I can suggest is that everyone who is not satisfied with the lights can call the number I called and the 50 or so people who voted in the poll can add weight to the argument. Then I guess it's either class action or shut up!

01908 547326 Shayma was the lady who I spoke to.

My experience with VWCC has ended very similar to yours @BIgben
Got the call today from another advisor to tell me the guy I was dealing with jacked in on Friday and after reviewing the case there is nothing more they can do. The dealer has checked them to MOT standards and they are ok, I said I completely disagree and in my opinion, even though they look good pointing at a wall in a workshop, in the real world they are totally inadequate and unsafe. Was told again, I am sorry sir there is nothing more we can do.

He did admit that they have had quite a few reports of bad H4 headlights though??!!

Next stop for me is completing the form that someone mentioned the other day and hunting down the contact details of VW execs.

What is the form? Perhaps we can pull all the relivant info to one place? Kind of like a sticky?

Have you had a chance to fit the Philips Luxeons yet, and if so how did you get on
No Not as yet been to busy with the heating Hopefully going to get a full day on it tomorrow weather permitting so watch this space

I'm building a T6 Extreme using Seikel parts with a matt wrap on the panels - I've a T6 4Motion DSG, but its not possible to buy in the pure grey in DSG & 4Motion anymore, so Im wrapping a grey metallic one as per the profile pic in matt
WOW, that's a build and a half. Are you going to lower the gearing?
If you are fitting a bull bar, you can always add super brights LED driving lights, or a light bar :)

Has anyone upgraded from H4 to H7? I recently contacted the dealers who supplied my T6 4 motion and they tell me it's not possible to change? Am I being fobbed off?

I wasn't even asking for discount!!

Just tried the 130% bulbs from Halfords. Improves things a little. The guy changed them for me without removing the lights which was great :)

Still unhappy with the lights in general though, not nearly good enough, also the Halfords guy said lots of people with T6's are coming in to get new bulbs!!!

Just tried the 130% bulbs from Halfords. Improves things a little. The guy changed them for me without removing the lights which was great

You certainly don't need to remove the lights to change the bulb.

Has anyone upgraded from H4 to H7? I recently contacted the dealers who supplied my T6 4 motion and they tell me it's not possible to change? Am I being fobbed off?

I wasn't even asking for discount!!

There seem to be folks swapping H4 to H7 on the German T6 Board, even done by VW Dealers, but they're not very good a giving detail or prices.

I swapped the bulbs on my H4's for the Philips 150% Racing at the weekend, and was out on the unlit roads of South Oxfordshire tonight, I would say the light is brighter and whiter, but still not going where it needs to be!

One thing I did notice is that they light the road better when going downhill, which leads me to think the units are angled down too much, even with max height adjusted from the dash. My Kombi is quite tail high as it's not loaded or lined, so that could be part of the problem.

How do people get on with loaded vans ?

OK......so I've also spoken to vw customer service....gotta say they were really good over the other issues I mentioned. However, he said he hadn't heard any complaints about H4 headlights! Had them checked....they wanted to charge me for it.....until I pointed out that I would most certainly not be paying! Anyway....apparently they'll pass an MOT! Told him, we'll have to agree to disagree.....they're crap. My thoughts are, if you don't rate the H4 headlights.........GET ON THE PHONE TO VW CUSTOMER SERVICE! If you can't be bothered to do that, then you can't really complain about them! Now, where's that form?

Back