Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters
And no mention of the "words" H4, or H7, so you aren't clear as to what the options offer, or indeed what is on offer, merely that they are powerful headlights. So how can you make an "informed" choice? Seems like another .50 nugget to send down range.

Smacks to me that there has long been an intention to make H7 the standard once existing H4 supply contract is finished and everything in the brochures is so worded as to not have to replace sales publications once that happens. Conspiracy theorists will take over at this point.

Smacks to me that there has long been an intention to make H7 the standard once existing H4 supply contract is finished and everything in the brochures is so worded as to not have to replace sales publications once that happens. Conspiracy theorists will take over at this point.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I think it's just incompetence in their marketing department rather than any kind of devious intentions.

When I ordered, VW UK didn't seem to have a clue what they were selling!

Right then, installed the Philips 150+ racing vision H4 bulbs. Been out for a drive and honestly I think the improvement is significant.
Previously, it was hard to tell on totally dark roads if the lights were on. If another car approached or if there were any street lighting you couldn't see if the lights were on at all!

Now, I'm seeing more of the road and can actually make out the road surface a lot better. When driving in lit up roads I'm still seeing where my lights are shining. I certainly think the white light is a big help, but they are definitely brighter and I feel a lot more confident with the thought of driving at night.
Here are a few pics, just off my iPhone 6 but I think it should at least give you an idea.

STD Bulb, low beam focused down:
IMG_5823.JPG

150+ Low beam focused down:
IMG_5875.JPG

STD bulb low Beam focused up:
IMG_5822.JPG

150+ Low beam focused up:
IMG_5873.JPG

150+ low beam
IMG_5869.JPG

150+ low beam plus fogs
IMG_5870.JPG

They are good results. I found the same with mine but the fogs help by filing in the dark space in front of the van . The reflectors are very shallow so gives a good wide light pattern but just needs better bulb out put to fill it . If they focused them in it would light the road better but only the road not the sides of the road. I have the Philips white vision so will give the 150s a go.
The photos I posted in this tread were taken with a iPhone 6 s so it's good to compare with.

That's what we have been waiting for!!! Let's hope A) they will be available soon and B) they are a well spec'd and priced unit!!

I was trying to look for the cost of the T5 versions. Looks like they're around 500 quid?

Main thing is if they come with the paperwork to show CE conformity, as well as auto load levelling motors.. But interesting, however does not absolve VW of their responsability in these matters.

Main thing is if they come with the paperwork to show CE conformity, as well as auto load levelling motors.. But interesting, however does not absolve VW of their responsability in these matters.
Yep, I'm mad at the thought of even spending £25 on some better bulbs!

@BIgben try your local motor factors, and not eurocarparts! They make me spit! Defiantly will be cheaper than halfords etc.

I don't know if this is of interest, but when ordering my Highline, I took the option of the lights and vision plus pack.....hopefully this is indeed the H7 lights.

I don't know if this is of interest, but when ordering my Highline, I took the option of the lights and vision plus pack.....hopefully this is indeed the H7 lights.
Yes it is. The 'plus' is the crucial bit!

Which I'd known about this headlight performance issue when I spec'd and ordered my T6! It's too late to modify my order.

Does the statement (vision plus pack ) imply that the standard H4 lights are crap ??????

Back