Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters
OK......so I've also spoken to vw customer service....gotta say they were really good over the other issues I mentioned. However, he said he hadn't heard any complaints about H4 headlights! Had them checked....they wanted to charge me for it.....until I pointed out that I would most certainly not be paying! Anyway....apparently they'll pass an MOT! Told him, we'll have to agree to disagree.....they're crap. My thoughts are, if you don't rate the H4 headlights.........GET ON THE PHONE TO VW CUSTOMER SERVICE! If you can't be bothered to do that, then you can't really complain about them! Now, where's that form?
Got to agree with you there. On the poll I think there were more than 50 clicks on the poor headlights and stand up and be counted. Time to start calling customer support to let them know.

I have talked to two different people at VW Commercial customer service, one of them said there team only has 8 persons, and they have only heard of one complaint about T6 H4,s
he also told me they do not keep a log of complaints, and they can,t react unless the complaints comes via a VW dealer

Boys, Had a lengthy phone call chat with the chap from DVSA who rang me on Tuesday afternoon, he said that if more people complained then he could push for further action, complaining to the dealers wont get results and they have been told by VW that the van meets the required european standards and will pass a MOT as they are concerned with the angle of the beam pattern and not the brightness of the lights

He said I was only the second person to complain about the effectiveness of the lights, (that he has seen) I asked - politely - what could be done?, as no one is after compensation, just a change of bulbs to rectify the solution, He suggested more people filled in the form and contacted him and he will take it up with VW UK in MK directly and further action with VW Germany if need be, tho he said from previous experience VW will do nothing

Boys, Had a lengthy phone call chat with the chap from DVSA who rang me on Tuesday afternoon, he said that if more people complained then he could push for further action, complaining to the dealers wont get results and they have been told by VW that the van meets the required european standards and will pass a MOT as they are concerned with the angle of the beam pattern and not the brightness of the lights

He said I was only the second person to complain about the effectiveness of the lights, (that he has seen) I asked - politely - what could be done?, as no one is after compensation, just a change of bulbs to rectify the solution, He suggested more people filled in the form and contacted him and he will take it up with VW UK in MK directly and further action with VW Germany if need be, tho he said from previous experience VW will do nothing
Form completed. If the other 58 of us stand up and be counted now perhaps this might go somewhere.

Vehicle Safety Defect Report | DVSA

Speaking to Lazer about a T6 light suggestion rather than waiting for VW to do anything - if only my T6 had lights like the before clip -

yup, well.....I've filled out the form too! Surely it's worth 5 minutes online form filling for anyone who's not happy?!

Pleeeaaaase don't take this the wrong way but do you think another thread might be a good idea for the lifted van so the good info about lights doesn't get buried?
A 19 page thread will not be diluted by a little off topic divulgence, imo. But I agree it would be a great subject for it's own thread, over to you @Colin.ab
Good luck with putting a little pressure on VW (UK) re the headlights :)

come on then chaps and chapesses, time to stand up and be counted. It is clearly evident that so many of you with H4's are unhappy. I could not believe the performance of the H4 when ZipcodeUK and I did our little practical test. It looks as though VW are not going to listen to you, but the DVSA will. It's got to be worth the couple of minutes that it'll take to fill in the form.
Good luck to you all, I hope for your sake that something can be achieved.

Right....here's the latest ladies and gents! Got a call this morning as a result of me submitting the VSDR form. Really nice guy.....well informed! His opening gambit was "ah, those lovely T6 headlights!" I thought, result....it's a recognised issue!
Me........"ah, so how many complaints have you had so far"?
Him......"two"
Me......"two........two"?!
Him....."yup......one the same as yours and the other relating to day running lights".
Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather! He then proceeded to tell me what I already knew or suspected. Type approved by KBA in Germany, blah, blah, blah! It'll pass an MOT, blah, blah, blah! Told him it's been checked by the dealer.....they confirmed it'll satisfy an MOT. Only because they checked the alignment and not the brightness. He pointed out that fitting new, uprated bulbs could cause other issues.....particularly relating to load on the existing wiring and therefore insurance too.
Just to be clear, he was a really nice guy....clued up and helpful too. So, as I see it, the top and bottom of it is......if we don't make some noise with VW.....(dealers AND H.O. in Milton Keynes), we haven't a chance of getting something done. I shall be doing that next.
So if you want something done.........get cracking and don't leave it to just a few to shake the tree!

I forgot to add........the reason he said "ah, those lovely T6 headlights!" was because he'd read about the issues on the internet....presumably doing a bit of research on the back of the TWO (plus mine) complaints as at 10am yesterday morning.

Just spoke to the same chap. Bottom line, it's passed type approval and that's that.
The next avenue I guess is letters to the boss here in the uk.

Back