What Solar Panel/controller Dc-dc Leisure Battery - Have You Got ?

Thread Title now changed to include all charging methods inc DC-DC etc. . . .,

just copy/edit/paste the list below and show us your setup. . . . . .

Copy & Paste the below to add your setup:

Solar Panel:
Mobile Panel:
Solar charge controller:
DC-DC charger:
EHU Charger:
battery bank:
Battery Monitor:
Inverter:
other:

Last edited:
my updated list:

VAN:
Solar Panel: PhotonicUniverse EFLXRJB-160M 160W 12V ETFE Black Flexible Solar Panel (not fitted yet)
Mobile Panel: 200W Lensun Folding (option:100W Renogy suitcase,100w Renogy folding, 50W folding ACOPOWER)
charge controller: Victron smartsolar 75/15 (100/20, 100/30 options + various PWM`s)
DC-DC charger: Victron 12/12/30 (Renogy,Redarc also)
EHU Charger: Victron BlueSmart 12v/30A (Temp fitting)
battery bank: 1x75Ah stock EFB+ (option:2x 110Ah Leoch Xtreme, 2xValence U27-12XP LIFEPO4)
Battery Monitor: Victron BMV-712 Smart (Temp fitting)
other: Victron Phoenix Inverter 12/800 (Temp fitting)
other: Victron 100A Battery protect

SHED:
Solar Panel: 1x 160w RENOGY flexible (stuck on roof ) 2x 160W semi-flexible, photonic universe (stuck on roof )
charge controller: Victron smartsolar 100/20 (75/15, 100/30 options + various PWM`s)
DC-DC charger: None
EHU Charger: NOCO G1500(15A)
battery bank: 2x110Ah deep cycle Leisure
other: Victron Phoenix Inverter 12/350, COTEK 1000w inverter
other: Raspberry Pi running Victron Venus system monitor + 2x USB links
other: wifi smart plug + timers for LED garden lighting.

Last edited:
VAN:
Solar Panel/s:
Mobile Panel/s:
Solar charge controller:
DC-DC charger: Ring RSCDC30
EHU Charger: Victron IP65 12/7
Battery bank: Xtreme 110Ah AGM
Battery Monitor: BM2
Other:

VAN:
Solar Panel: 1x PV Logic Flexi STPFB100PR 100W 21.9V 5.68A
Mobile Panel/s:
Solar charge controller: Integrated in DC-DC charger below
DC-DC charger: Redarc BCDC1240D
EHU Charger: NOCO Genius G3500UK Lithium (actually bought to be able to charge the Starter Battery off the Leisure Battery if required, but it will charge the Leisure battery as well)
battery bank:Victron Lithium Superpack 12V 100Ah
Battery Monitor:Victron BMV712 Smart Battery Monitor
other: Victron Phoenix 12V/800VA Inverter

VAN:
Solar Panel:
Mobile Panel: Photonic Universe 100W portable suitcase panel
Solar charge controller: Photonic Universe 10A model with remote display
DC-DC charger: Ablemail EL1230
EHU Charger: Victron IP65 12/10
Battery bank: Leoch Xtreme AGM 110Ah
Battery Monitor: Small voltmeter in control panel.
Other: Victron 12/375 inverter

VAN;
Renogy Suicase RNG-KIT-STCS-100D-NC solar panel
Ablemail AMS 12-12-30 (with MPPT solar)
Sterling HP110-12 VRLA leisure battery
BM2 battery monitor

hi have these two as a direct comparison.

Shed Solar
photonic universe - 2x150w EFLXRJB-150M
Vmp 25.5v
Voc 30.1v
Imp 5.88a
Isc 6.35A
Dims 1445*540*3mm
150W Semi-flexible Solar Panel with Round Rear Junction Box and 3m cable, with durable ETFE coating (Back-contact solar cells)

Renogy 160W RNG-160DB-H
Renogy 160 Watt 12 Volt Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel
Flex Mono
Maximum Power at STC*: 160 W
Cell Efficiency: 21.0%
Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 19.1 V
Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 8.38A
Open-Circuit voltage (Voc): 23 V
Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 8.88A
Maximum System Voltage: 600 VDC
Maximum Series Fuse Rating: 20 A

Output wise they are very similar. The PU has slightly higher VOC, the RGY has slightly higher ISC but they bothe roughly ballence out.

I've had all 3 running together with no issues.,

heres todays data, it shows the panels are generating 70V from 8am till about 3pm ( the batteries are basically always 98% fully charged which is why the current is shown so low).

upload_2019-12-3_16-10-49.png

and this is the last 6mnths data:

upload_2019-12-3_17-9-49.png
upload_2019-12-3_17-10-30.png

which is ample to keep the 2x 110Ah Extreme SLA batteries charged (which run the shed and garden LEDS and stuff)

The only real difference seems to be with the build quality . . . .

The RGY panel is slightly thinner and seems to have been effected by the summer weather (heat) . . . .

the panel seems to have developed a slight dishing/cupping around each cell, its difficult to see from the pics. But its almost like the backing has warped and twisted a bit.

Im assuming its where the cells have got hot and being as they are stuck on the roof the heat has warped the backing somehow.

RGY PANEL below (outside 24/7) :

20191203_160335.jpg 20191203_160345.jpg

and PU panels below (outside 24/7) :

(i sprayed the edges black so they didnt stand out so much):

20191203_160513.jpg 20191203_160524.jpg 20191203_160543.jpg 20191203_160552.jpg

The PU panels are as good as the day they were fitted.....

The dimpled top layer seem to work well catching all the light they can on both sets of panels.

The Renogy Mobile suitcase and fold-out mobile panels are also as good as new, though they are only out when needed then packed away . . . .

So going by the above id say output wise the are very similar, but quality wise the PU is slightly better at withstanding the elements.

Remember Renogy and PU just buy in other manufactures panels and put there own sticker on them - they dont make them themselves. so you need to look at the panels on a case by case basis . . . .

so over all i would still generally recommend Renogy, PhotonicUniverse & Lensun,

out of the two shown above id chose the PU one as a recommendation

This specific panel (which is again different to the ones above)

VAN: Solar Panel: PhotonicUniverse EFLXRJB-160M 160W 12V ETFE Black Flexible Solar Panel (not fitted yet)

What Solar Panel/controller, Dc-dc, Leisure Battery - Have You Got ?

is still boxed in the shed waiting to be fitted on the van roof - but again you can see it is of a different construction ( possibly a different manufacturer)

I am thinking of fitting a solar panel to the OEM roof of the van.
However I would like one that has the connection on the rear.
My problem then becomes I need the connection to fit above the ceiling in the van so it must be low profile. Therefore I don’t think the PU ones with the circular connector will fit.
If anyone has come across a panel that would fit my requirements I would be grateful. I know it’s a long shot. TIA

I am thinking of fitting a solar panel to the OEM roof of the van.
However I would like one that has the connection on the rear.
My problem then becomes I need the connection to fit above the ceiling in the van so it must be low profile. Therefore I don’t think the PU ones with the circular connector will fit.
If anyone has come across a panel that would fit my requirements I would be grateful. I know it’s a long shot. TIA
I think your find there is tons of room above the inner roof panel for the gland and radius bend for the cable...

You will loose a few mm in the sikoflex, then a couple of mm from the out there body skin . . . Then there is 5-6mm you will loose from the channels on the roof....

You could also unscrew the gland and trip back the cable to reduce the foot print....

From memory last time I had the roof panels out, there was 20-40mm void to play with.

I take it you are looking for the cable entry yo be at the back centre of the roof?

I think your find there is tons of room above the inner roof panel for the gland and radius bend for the cable...

You will loose a few mm in the sikoflex, then a couple of mm from the out there body skin . . . Then there is 5-6mm you will loose from the channels on the roof....

You could also unscrew the gland and trip back the cable to reduce the foot print....

From memory last time I had the roof panels out, there was 20-40mm void to play with.

I take it you are looking for the cable entry yo be at the back centre of the roof?

Thanks. Actually I was thinking of putting the entry for the cable at the front. as its nearer to the redarc which is under the drivers seat. But maybe there is less room there. I want the hole to be in a place in a place that will be removed when I get a pop top fitted.
Its a big task to get my ply ceiling out to have a look.

01E50288-F530-475F-80E4-680C24EB8E73.jpeg 09A98FCE-FC88-4F19-BE02-C156878F7203.jpeg

VAN:
Solar Panel/s: Reimo Carbest 85329 160W
Mobile Panel/s:
Solar charge controller: Victron 75/15 smart solar
DC-DC charger: Sterling 1230
EHU Charger: Victron IP22 12/15 blues smart
battery bank: SuperB Epsilon lithium
Battery Monitor: built in
other: Ctek stop/start van battery charger.

just got this lot dialled in. The original solar panel was a Reimo factory fit on the roof, this gave up the ghost earlier this year. The original Lithium EHU battery charger was an Optimate DON’T FIT ONE!!, they are too clever for their own good. They do a pre-charge test routine that injects a small test charge to the battery & then tests the battery to ensure that the charge has held & the battery is good. Great when you are charging a golf trolley or wheel chair battery off load. Completely useless if you are in a van with the fridge & lights on.
The new panel is a Carbest 160W supplied under warranty by Reimo. The old panel was bonded to the roof with Sika & was a PITA to get off. The new panel is also a different size/shape to the old, so didn’t cover the old footprint. I’ve had a piece of black vinyl wrap put on the roof to cover the old footprint & the new panel is bonded to the wrap, should make it easier to get off when it fails in the future :rolleyes:

Winter months over 2019 - 2020

450W worth of panels in series (~70vdc) + Victron MPPT + 2x110ah AGM

Its looking like the solar yield is now too low to keep the Solar Shed battery bank topped up . . . . . =[

20190711_091648-jpg.46856

this is the last 90days log :

upload_2020-1-2_12-8-37.png

upload_2020-1-2_12-8-57.png

upload_2020-1-2_12-9-21.png

we can see that from about the 23rd nov 2019 the MPPT charger stopped reaching float mode.

Since then each day the charger has been in bulk mode . . . . but the current draw from the battery bank at night is larger than the charge during the day.

The net effect is a very slow drop in battery SOC and voltage ( 2x 110Ah AGM Extreme), to the point where at night the voltage is dropping to 11.5V.

Its enough to keep all the LED lighting and 12V/USB stuff going . . . . but its not good for the battery chemistry.

So looks like im going to have to plug in a EHU charger and top up the battery bank:

upload_2020-1-2_12-13-53.png

upload_2020-1-2_12-14-35.png

Id like to keep the test running to see the results over the whole winter until spring . . . . . . . but by then the batteries would most likely be totally flat and damaged.

so to save the batteries i need to charge them . . . . lets see if i can get away with just the one re-charge over winter ??

Last edited:
remember to add you setup, inverter now added to list =]

Copy & Paste the below to add your setup:

Solar Panel:
Mobile Panel:
Solar charge controller:
DC-DC charger:
EHU Charger:
battery bank:
Battery Monitor:
Inverter:
other:

Interesting reading @Dellmassive. I wonder if the solar panels angled so that they are as close to perpendicular to the low winter sun as possible, would make a difference. Keep meaning to try this with my pop top by elevating it and having the panel face south on a clear winter's day. See if it will increase the current. Haven't got round to it though, as clear days are few and far between.

In general photovoltaic solar panels should be mounted at an angle of 10 to 15 degrees plus the site’s latitude. Therefore in London, which has a latitude of around 51 degrees, solar panels should ideally be mounted at an angle of approximately 65 degrees.

Back