Solar Charging through MPPT and to a Power Generator that has its own MPPT built it

bigkid2071

VIP Member
So, got Solar panels install as part of our conversion, now completed and the panels are wired to the MPPT through to battery setup etc, feeding Leisure Battery and through some other wizardry it also tops up the Van main battery etc.

I have just got myself one of those Power Generators/Solar Generators from ECOFLOW, using the cable that connects the EcoFlow for the Solar Panels I plugged this into the MPPT trying to see if I can use the Dual Battery function to still charge the Leisure battery and have the 2nd feed going to the EcoFlow. It seems as if the MPPT did not like it and reported a fault with Battery 2 (the ecoflow) which I sort of understand as there would be no feedback from the Ecoflow to say its charged etc.

SO having a think about this, and this is my question, could I split the Source leads from the Solar Panel to feed both the MPPT as now, plus the the split feed direct to the Ecoflow using the Solar Panel cable.

Things I do know:
1. The Ecoflow will only draw power to itself when it is in use or below charge, stops input if at 100%
2. The MPPT will still get the same feed from the Solar Panel
3. I am aware that this will reduce the input Amps as it will in effect be providing power to 2 units not 1

Your thoughts on this idea are appreciated, I am ok with wiring and electricals just unsure on whats the best was forward here... also if anyone has done this and made a better job please also let me know :)

Steven

I can’t help you as I’m trying to learn all this stuff the now myself but read this thread and think it could be of some use to you.

No, an MPPT control tracks the optimal power point in the panels by varying the current, two MPPT controllers will fight each other.

An effective, if expensive, way of doing what you want is to buy a lower current DC-DC charger and use that to feed leisure battery to Ecoflow, either through it's normal charge port or possibly through it's solar input as that will take more current.

The downside of any power pack in situations like this is there is never direct access to the battery, it always has to go through the control of the power pack. (Yes I am aware some systems have high current connections for extension batteries but I suspect many of those are not true direct access and have BMS Comms on them too)

Slightly different , but still solar, are the 12v charging points in the 6.1 permanent live?? I was going to get one of those solar panels that stick to the windows and plug into the cig lighter to charge the starter battery when vans stood for I while!
Thanks

are the 12v charging points in the 6.1 permanent live??
Yes, but I'm not sure if they 'doze off'

There was a thread on here about other things eventually going into hibernation if left long enough ~3hrs ish from memory

That's specifically the trailer socket module going to sleep some time after the trailer is no longer detected.

I did do some experiments with the 12v sockets and USB-C but not long term. I'm also a single battery only. When I have the 12v EHU plugged in I often plug my small Beaudens power pack that I use for lighting in to the C pillar socket - so it stays live enough for that but I couldn't say if that's because the 12v EHU is actively charging.

In terms of supporting the starter with the losses through the glass most of the cheap plug in solar wont make much difference you need a reasonable wattage panel to be worth the bother.

Back