How robust are portable type panels?

roadtripper

2021 Caravelle Executive
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I'm contemplating doing some 12v solar tinkering at home having some spare batteries but I also now own 3 camping devices that will solar input ( two power packs and fridge with battery ) so one option is to get a portable solar panel that would be useful when we start camping.

My concern is that most of the designs look fine for a week or so when camping but don't strike me as robust if I was to put them out on a shed roof for a few months.

Would I be better going for a more rigid solar panel and then getting a portable one later or are there robust enough portable options?

( One option I guess would be to have a rigid panel that could mount on roof rails but as yet I've no need to fit them )

Also for charging basic lead acid are there any good enough low end MPPT controllers, I'm not averse to a small Victron but it seems overkill for a tinker.

have a look at the RENOGY Suitcase kits. . .

basically built like a "BRICK DUNNIE" compared to the normal foldable fabric style.

the good - bombproof.

the bad - large size, for transport and storage.

1705402675664.png1705402682734.png1705402690093.png

My Panels:

Those do look good, look like essentially rigid panels with a neat frame and case?

Do you find the PWM controller good enough for basic charging?

I'd probably get an MC4 extension cable so the batteries can be in the shed and also should we use it to camp it would allow the power packs to be in the van.

If I was to leave them outside for a fair while my thinking is it would be better to extend the wire between panels and controller and move the controller into the shed rather than extending the controller to battery run - I know it says waterproof but that seems the best arrangement?

Finally do you know of good twin core MC4 extensions, that seems easier to handle than two separate wires?

Those do look good, look like essentially rigid panels with a neat frame and case? - Yep

Do you find the PWM controller good enough for basic charging? - Yep, but i swapped out to a Victron for the monitoring ( used mc4/anderson quick disconects)

I'd probably get an MC4 extension cable so the batteries can be in the shed and also should we use it to camp it would allow the power packs to be in the van. - i done the same.

If I was to leave them outside for a fair while my thinking is it would be better to extend the wire between panels and controller and move the controller into the shed rather than extending the controller to battery run - I know it says waterproof but that seems the best arrangement? - again i done the same. . . and added a weight to the frame legs to stop any wind getting them.(sand bags)

Finally do you know of good twin core MC4 extensions, that seems easier to handle than two separate wires? - yes. . . i used standard FLAT TWO core cable and put on my own MC4 ends. ( solar PV cable is only needed for long term external installs and high volt installs ) - so basic two core cable is fine for portable.

its alway best to extend the panels before the solar controller and not the battery side.

i did find that volt drop can be an issue over a run (lost power), i had 5mtr leads that i made up. . . so use a fat a cable as you can. . . ie 2.5mm, 3.3mm, 5.3mm

Does anyone now if these are any good renogy 200w

Back