What Solar Panel/controller Dc-dc Leisure Battery - Have You Got ?

@Phil Harris ,that panel looks similar to mine but with the junction box on the back instead of the top. With it being a rectangle instead of round like the one that @Dieseldonkey has then i dont think the hole saw approach will work but it might sit inbetween the ridges on your roof (if you have any?)without too much of a bulge,similar to how @Deaky has fitted his. If it will then you will only have to drill a couple of small holes for the cables,good luck anyhow

@Phil Harris ,that panel looks similar to mine but with the junction box on the back instead of the top. With it being a rectangle instead of round like the one that @Dieseldonkey has then i dont think the hole saw approach will work but it might sit inbetween the ridges on your roof (if you have any?)without too much of a bulge,similar to how @Deaky has fitted his. If it will then you will only have to drill a couple of small holes for the cables,good luck anyhow
Thanks Martin, it’s a flat roof so will just go gently!!

Yip, sorry. Badly worded now I read it again. I meant my connector block was round so a hole saw was an easy solution. If your looking to get a flush fit, perhaps a dremel with a cutting disc could be used to cut out the rectangular shape. Even though I'd measured, re measured, took 10 minutes for a coffee and a complete re assess and then measured again, it's a horrible feeling, taking any cutting implement to several grands worth of roof.

Yip, sorry. Badly worded now I read it again. I meant my connector block was round so a hole saw was an easy solution. If your looking to get a flush fit, perhaps a dremel with a cutting disc could be used to cut out the rectangular shape. Even though I'd measured, re measured, took 10 minutes for a coffee and a complete re assess and then measured again, it's a horrible feeling, taking any cutting implement to several grands worth of roof.
Cheers, helps the nerves!!

following @Dieseldonkey BM2 readout . . . . . . heres a couple from the other day.

Photonic Universe Panel and Victron Controller and AGM deep cycle.

Its good to see that the combo can generate enough power to start charging the battery from around 6am all the way to 930pm . . .

even without direct sunshine. (you can see the bulk/absorb/float stages from the Victron on the battery graph)

Screenshot_20190718-060414_Battery Monitor.jpg

This shot bellow shows the voltage dips from some intensive inverter testing (from 3-6pm) . . . . Both standard and AGM batteries suffer this voltage sag under load. . . . .

It seems that Lithium (LifePo4) cells dont suffer from this type of sag if you discharge them within their "C" rate. but im yet to invest in one ATM.

Screenshot_20190718-060421_Battery Monitor.jpg

Yeah, my results are very similar. The troughs between 0000hrs and 0600hrs are the fridge compressor kicking in through the night. But you can see my coffee breaks at 0800, 1200 and 1500hrs when the 1000w inverter supplies a 700 watt kettle.

Screenshot_20190718-110831_Battery Monitor.jpg

The new panel is in . . . . . (the rear junction box is more of a "gland" and will need a 35/40mm hole drilled in the roof)

12V solar panels charging kits for caravans, motorhomes, boats, yachts, marine

160W Black Reinforced semi-flexible solar panel with round rear junction box and 3m cable, with durable ETFE coating (German solar cells)

Solar panel specifications:

• Peak power: 160W
  • Maximum power voltage: 20.2V
  • Maximum power current: 7.92A
  • Open circuit voltage: 23.9V
  • Short circuit current: 8.40A
  • Power allowance range: +/- 5%
  • Solar Panel dimensions: 1345 x 665 x 4 mm
  • Junction Box diameter: 30 mm
  • Weight: 5.70 kg
  • 1 x 3m high quality dual core solar cable attached (4mm cross section)
20190718_152535.jpg 20190718_152709.jpg 20190718_152727.jpg 20190718_152741.jpg 20190718_152813.jpg 20190718_152819.jpg 20190718_152822.jpg 20190718_152844.jpg

Ah, isn't she a beut. I'm hoping their 10 and 25 year guarantees on performance pay off. 90% after 10 years. 80% at 25 years. Especially with amount of bonding I've done fixing it on the sodding roof. :whistle:

How you getting on with this panel @Dellmassive ? Curious to know if you think it was worth paying the premium in price for in terms of its quality and performance.

Last edited:
It's not fitted on the van yet.... but I have had it running in the garden connected to a victron 75/15 controller charging the solar shed setup.

In general YES its totally worth the premium panels. With panels you 100% get what you pay for.....

What I have noticed is that the Chinese unbranded panels need direct strong sunlight to generate there listed ratings...

Where as the premium panels will start generating decent power in standard daylight.

My Photonic Universe premium panels are kicking in at 5am currently and have the battery bank charged by 9am..

In comparison the unbranded cheaper ones will start at 10 or 11am and take till 3pm to recharge the same bank. (They will show good voltage.... but dont deliver the current at the same light levels)

This is the same across all the panels is have...

Renogy.
Photonic universe.
Aco power.
Lensun.
Ebay unbranded.
Wish unbranded.

Basically you get what you pay for........ and in the UK where the sunlight is not that strong you need all the help you can get.

My advice......

Get the best/largest panel you can afford.... then add a MPPT controller to it.... I'd recomend the Victron smart MPPT solar controllers for the data logging and feedback.

Ah, isn't she a beut. I'm hoping their 10 and 25 year guarantees on performance pay off. 90% after 10 years. 80% at 25 years. Especially with amount of bonding I've done fixing it on the sodding roof. :whistle:

Any info on the install? Was there room above the OEM roof panels for the junction box etc?

Back