What Solar Panel/controller Dc-dc Leisure Battery - Have You Got ?

Hello,@Dieseldonkey the 300w panel was too big for the ablemail 12-12-30 with the solar connection so i was advised to use a seperate victron and buy the ablemail without the solar connection

Ah ok. Thats got me checking the spec for the 121230. All I can find is its suitable for panels greater than 100 watts and needs 18 volts from the panel to initiate solar charging. Assuming 100 efficiency, 300 watts at just 13 volts is only 23 amps output, so seems well within its capabilities. Unless I'm missing something.

I run a 160 watt panel through mine and get a charging profile like this during day light hours on sunny day. The voltage I've used for calculating above is on the low side to allow for a maximum current.

Screenshot_20190715-125137_Battery Monitor.jpg

new Black Flexable panels are in . . . (set of 2*110w)(hopelully for van roof this time)

Lensun® 2PCS 110W(total 220W) 12V Black Flexible Solar Panel, Top Quality for RV,Camper,Boat,Yacht Battery Charge

Electrical Information:

Peak power: 110W
Solar cell efficiency: 17-18/%
Maximum power voltage: 18V
Maximum power current: 6.11A
Open circuit voltage: 21.24V
Short circuit current: 6.72A
Power allowance range: +/-3%
Maximum system voltage: 500V
Values at standard test conditions: Air Mass - AM1.5, Irradiance - 1000W/m2, Cell Temperature - 25°C

Material Information:

Laminated for weather resistance
Laminated with fiberglass + ETFE + Silicon cell + EVA + Tedlar
Solar cells: Monocrystalline
Dimensions: 1070 x 670 x 2.5mm/42.10 X 26.4 X 0.1 inch
Net Weight: 2.8kg/6 lbs

Back sheet: Fiberglass
J-Box: IP 65 rated

Package Includes:

2 x 110W Monocrystalline semi-flexible solar panel with fiberglass back sheet

4 x 1m x 2.5mm2 cables with MC4 connectors

20190713_102905.jpg 20190713_103132.jpg 20190713_103138.jpg 20190713_103203.jpg 20190713_103206.jpg 20190713_103220.jpg 20190713_103228.jpg

Ablemail 12-12-30 - spec sheet below.

"solar input upto 100W (>100W max) (8-32v (solar >32V max))

When using the solar input the charger uses a maximum power point tracking algorithm (MPPT) to ensure maximum use of the solar/wind energy source and disconnects the solar input if the solar voltage exceeds acceptable limits (<32V)."

https://www.ablemail.co.uk/sites/default/files/specs/AMS12-12-30E DATA SHEET.pdf

@Dieseldonkey is running a 160W panel (Photonic universe) with success by the looks of his BM2 readout.

Last edited:
Is there an advantage to having a separate Victron 100/30 solar controller when your Ablemail 12 12 30 does this job too?

@Dieseldonkey his ( @Martin Gibson ) 300w Photonic universe panel had a OCV of 45v which was above the max 32v rated solar input of the 12-12-13 so he went for the Victron 100/30 wich could hadle the extra power

the 12-12-30 can handle solar panels under the max 32v VOC

Problem here, potentially for me
@Dellmassive is with how I've interpreted the symbol '>' . I read this mathematically as meaning 'greater than'. So suitable for panels with an output greater than 100w.

Screenshot_20190715-151537_Firefox.jpg

Whereas your interpretation is 'up to' 100w.

So If I'm wrong my panel is too powerful for the Ablemail.

In @Martin Gibson case , yeah the voltage from his panel is too high to feed to directly into the Ablemail.

Question is now, is have I made a boo boo?

This is my panel fitted...

12V solar panels charging kits for caravans, motorhomes, boats, yachts, marine

Well personally @Dieseldonkey i dont think you have. You are successfully running your panel through the ablemail now so cant see how it would be wrong. My panel had an OCV of 45v which was too much for the ablemails 32v but it nearly twice the size of your 160w panel. I think youll be fine but im sure @Dellmassive or @travelvolts can tell you properly

Open circuit voltage? Would I be right in thinking if you put a volt meter across a solar panel with no load on it, but in direct sunlight this is your open circuit voltage?

But you wouldn't achieve such a high voltage if you connected the panel to a load, such as the battery via your charger?

So would the panel get above 32 volts if its loaded up to a discharged battery? If it did get to 32v, would the Ablemail just shut of the charging to the battery to protect itself?

Sorry, lots of questions in one post. I think too much.:sleep:

Last edited:
Problem here, potentially for me
@Dellmassive is with how I've interpreted the symbol '>' . I read this mathematically as meaning 'greater than'. So suitable for panels with an output greater than 100w.

View attachment 47104

Whereas your interpretation is 'up to' 100w.

So If I'm wrong my panel is too powerful for the Ablemail.

In @Martin Gibson case , yeah the voltage from his panel is too high to feed to directly into the Ablemail.

Question is now, is have I made a boo boo?

This is my panel fitted...

I love that panel . . . (and desperate to see a pic or two of it fitted . . . . thinking of getting one myself)

and no-boobo0..

that 160W panel has a VOC of 23.9v @ ISC of 8.4A ---- so you are under the 32v Max VOC of the 12-12-30

****************************************************************************************************
Solar panel specifications:

• Peak power: 160W
  • Maximum power voltage: 20.2V
  • Maximum power current: 7.92A
  • Open circuit voltage: 23.9V
  • Short circuit current: 8.40A
  • Power allowance range: +/- 5%
  • Solar Panel dimensions: 1345 x 665 x 4 mm
  • Junction Box diameter: 30 mm
  • Weight: 5.70 kg
  • 1 x 3m high quality dual core solar cable attached (4mm cross section)
*************************************************************************************

Open circuit voltage? Would I be right in thinking if you put a volt meter across a solar panel with no load on it, but in direct sunlight this is your open circuit voltage?

But you wouldn't achieve such a high voltage if you connected the panel to a load, such as the battery via your charger?

So would the panel get above 32 volts if its loaded up to a discharged battery? If it did get to 32v, would the Ablemail just shut of the charging to the battery to protect itself?

Sorry, lots of questions in one post. I think too much.:sleep:

Open circuit voltage? Would I be right in thinking if you put a volt meter across a solar panel with no load on it, but in direct sunlight this is your open circuit voltage? ------- Correct

But you wouldn't achieve such a high voltage if you connected the panel to a load, such as the battery via your charger ------- (correct/sort of) the Solar controller monitors the Panel voltage off load periodically within itself to test for essesive VOC (well the Victron does anyhow)... I've tested it buy daisy chaining pannels up (series, so all the panels VOC`s all add up(to the limit of the smallest VOC)). . . . you get a Victron VOC to high error.

If it did get to 32v, would the Ablemail just shut of the charging to the battery to protect itself? -------- The 12-12-30 manual says it will disconnect the solar input but iv not got one to test.

Last edited:
The junction box is in the same location @Phil Harris . However its circular. So a hole saw can be used to fit it into the roof. Was either 30 or 32 mm.

Back