What Solar Panel/controller Dc-dc Leisure Battery - Have You Got ?

The dude with the four panels lives near me I see that van all the time.
He has a YouTube channel GDUB TV that has some interesting stuff on from time to time.

Lensun obviously bombed him with free panels

You sure thats GDUB TV.... ?

He sold his retro painted T5, and bought a white T6...... but I didn't see anything about fitting solar yet?.... or have I missed it?

Lol... oh yeh...

He's sold that T6 already..... sept2020.

I'll need to do some catching up.

Screenshot_20210114-102638_Facebook.jpg

Hoping someone on here can shed a bit of light on this for me. I have Ctek250se and i am looking to get a solar panel to go with it. I have been looking at a photonic universe 160W panel. I am aware the max input voltage of the Ctek is 23V, looking at the stats of the panel it has a max power voltage of 20.2V but an open circuit voltage of 23.9V. So my question is do i go by the max power voltage or the open circuit voltage? Desperately don't want to destroy my Ctek. Thanks

Hoping someone on here can shed a bit of light on this for me. I have Ctek250se and i am looking to get a solar panel to go with it. I have been looking at a photonic universe 160W panel. I am aware the max input voltage of the Ctek is 23V, looking at the stats of the panel it has a max power voltage of 20.2V but an open circuit voltage of 23.9V. So my question is do i go by the max power voltage or the open circuit voltage? Desperately don't want to destroy my Ctek. Thanks
the rating is the VOC from the panel (voltage open circuit) - so 23.9v for that panel.

the ctek solar input spec is 23v VOC MAX.

so that would imply on paper that the panel is too powerful.

but

in reality cable resistance and voltage drop will cause the panel to loose some power before the cteck . . . so that 23.9v panel may be ok with the ctek.

any1 on here have a similar setup?

Ctek d250 with a 160w panel (23.9v)

the rating is the VOC from the panel (voltage open circuit) - so 23.9v for that panel.

the ctek solar input spec is 23v VOC MAX.

so that would imply on paper that the panel is too powerful.

but

in reality cable resistance and voltage drop will cause the panel to loose some power before the cteck . . . so that 23.9v panel may be ok with the ctek.

any1 on here have a similar setup?

Ctek d250 with a 160w panel (23.9v)

I really wouldn't risk it. Especially, when the battery is full and so little current is flowing, the voltage could be close to the VoC.

An easy solution is to just get 2x 100w or 120w panels and run then in parallel.

Or.

Just get a separate solar mppt controller and run that alongside the ctek

An easy solution is to just get 2x 100w or 120w panels and run then in parallel.

Or.

Just get a separate solar mppt controller and run that alongside the ctek
Thanks for everyones input. I tried looking at the 120W photonic universe panel but the VOC appears to be the same, looks like the max power current is the only thing that changes throughout the different panel sizes (sorry this is all new to me). Might need to look into a different brand panel or like you suggest possibly adding a seperate mppt controller. Ideally a different panel as i only have 2 single seats and all my 240v/12v setup is currently under them and in place with little room to spare.

@Davidh - I also have a CTEK and have recently been having a very similar conversation with @Dellmassive who has been extremely helpful. I'm going to go with the same 160W panel, but plan to use a Victronic MPPT (Probably the 75/15 as that's plenty sufficient). It also has the benefit of significantly better monitoring... I'll then just leave the CTEK looking after the B-2-B.

When I was researching, I found that there was definitely someone on here that tested a panel with VOC of 23.9 and found that he was getting 23.6 at the MPPT, and therefore didn't want to risk the CTEK. I also therefore wouldn't risk the CTEK as they can apparently get fried when above the recommended VOC. This other chap was really reluctant to get a different MPPT, due to the lack of space under seats... but in the end also managed to fit in a Victronic (as they're pretty small!)

Hope that helps!

@Davidh - I also have a CTEK and have recently been having a very similar conversation with @Dellmassive who has been extremely helpful. I'm going to go with the same 160W panel, but plan to use a Victronic MPPT (Probably the 75/15 as that's plenty sufficient). It also has the benefit of significantly better monitoring... I'll then just leave the CTEK looking after the B-2-B.

When I was researching, I found that there was definitely someone on here that tested a panel with VOC of 23.9 and found that he was getting 23.6 at the MPPT, and therefore didn't want to risk the CTEK. I also therefore wouldn't risk the CTEK as they can apparently get fried when above the recommended VOC. This other chap was really reluctant to get a different MPPT, due to the lack of space under seats... but in the end also managed to fit in a Victronic (as they're pretty small!)

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info, i'll have a look into the 75/15 and see what size it takes up and what cable connections i would need to make. Does it just connect straight to the battery terminals? Most of the other electrical hardware i have is Victron so i know they're a good brand, shame i never had this foresight of checking max VOC when ordering the Ctek. Back to the drawing board. If i knew the Ctek would just trip when too high a VOC was connected i would try it but if it completely fries it then like you say its not worth risking it. Was hoping i wouldn't have to remove my seats and delve into the electrics again but needs must i guess.

Thanks for the info, i'll have a look into the 75/15 and see what size it takes up and what cable connections i would need to make. Does it just connect straight to the battery terminals? Most of the other electrical hardware i have is Victron so i know they're a good brand, shame i never had this foresight of checking max VOC when ordering the Ctek. Back to the drawing board. If i knew the Ctek would just trip when too high a VOC was connected i would try it but if it completely fries it then like you say its not worth risking it. Was hoping i wouldn't have to remove my seats and delve into the electrics again but needs must i guess.
I haven't fitted yet, so not 100% sure how it connects (sure someone will be able to answer that!) but think you're right - it will just be direct to the battery. Hope you find a way to make the Victron fit. (As @Dellmassive said to me - if you're considering adding more panels in the future - you could get a higher rated MPPT e.g. the 100/20 or 100/15 (which I think is a pretty good price on Amazon at the moment!))

Just on another note, if I did have a separate mppt controller. What would happen when driving as I assume the battery would be getting charged via the ctek and also the solar (if its sunny) at the same time?

Back