What Solar Panel/controller Dc-dc Leisure Battery - Have You Got ?

None of this stuff is fitted yet, in fact the orders were only placed in the last few days with the exception of the Renogy unit which I bought in November.
Many thanks to all who have given advice either unknowingly or otherwise, my wallet salutes you!
The TN Power 100ah was a bargain price from a well known Battery err large store who listened politely to my explanation that Inverness and the Highlands were indeed a part of the UK and therefore I was not sure why they wouldn't ship to my address!
The EHU charger was a bundle deal with the TN100 battery and I thought it might be a little underpowered at 10A out but it will just take a little longer right?

Solar Panel: PhotonicUniverse EFLXBJB-160M 160W 12V ETFE Black Flexible Solar Panel
Mobile Panel: None. Hoping the 160w panel on the roof will do the job.
Solar charge controller: Renogy RBC50D1S-G1-EU
DC-DC charger: Renogy RBC50D1S-G1-EU
EHU Charger: Victron Energy Blue Smart IP65 Charger 12/10(1) 230V BPC121031034R
battery bank: TN Power TN100 12.8V 100AH Lithium Battery
Battery Monitor: None yet, any suggestions? The charger will have Bluetooth but no other monitoring has been bought yet.
Inverter: Will wait and see if I need one, not sure what I would use it for.
other:

Id like to keep the test running to see the results over the whole winter until spring . . . . . . . but by then the batteries would most likely be totally flat and damaged.

so to save the batteries i need to charge them . . . . lets see if i can get away with just the one re-charge over winter ??

Dell,

What do the batteries in your shed power ?
I too have a solar powered shed - perhaps we should have a separate thread for sheds :)

Pete

Cheers Dell.

Will take some photos tomorrow and add to the new thread.

Pete

Copy & Paste the below to add your setup:

Solar Panel:
Mobile Panel:
Solar charge controller:
DC-DC charger:
EHU Charger:
battery bank:
Battery Monitor:
Inverter:
other:

Solar Panel: Carbest (Reimo) 170w
Mobile Panel:
Solar charge controller: Victron bluesmart 12/75
DC-DC charger: Sterling 1230
EHU Charger: Victron IP22 bluesmart 12/15
battery bank: SuperB Epsilon Lithium 95Ah
Battery Monitor: built in to battery
Inverter: Sterling 1600W pure sine wave C/W remote control.
other: Ctek stop/start permanently wired to starter battery & EHU

I've finally got my setup in:
Solar Panel: none (but may fit one in the future)
Mobile Panel: none (maybe in the future)
Solar charge controller:
MPPT included in DC DC charger below
DC-DC charger: Renogy DCC50S (dc dc charger with mppt but I'm not using mppt function thereby giving me 50v dcdc charge rate)
EHU Charger: none
battery bank: Relion RB100ah lithium
Battery Monitor: Bonus (analogue) control panel CP3
Inverter: Victron Phoenix VE.Direct Sine Wave Inverter (12V / 250VA)
other: none

Last edited by a moderator:
nice one @Long tall John

now post some pics of your setup . . . . . =]

think your the second person to reach 50A dc-dc on here so far?

and keep us posted with that battery . . . .

also any battery monitoring yet?

nice one @Long tall John

now post some pics of your setup . . . . . =]

think your the second person to reach 50A dc-dc on here so far?

and keep us posted with that battery . . . .

also any battery monitoring yet?
I'm planning to do a review once we've been out for a 5 day jaunt and see how it bears up with our fridge and diesel heater etc but I'm pretty confident it will be all the juice we need. Also planning to do a review of our converters over in the recommend a company thread when I get the time.

A big thanks to you and everyone else for all the input on the electric side. Wouldn't have gone for lithium if it wasn't for you :thumbsup:

Solar Panel: -
Mobile Panel: -
Solar charge controller: -
DC-DC charger: Sterling BB1230
EHU Charger: Optimate Lithium 5A
battery bank: SuperB 90Ah Lithium
Battery Monitor: - (Super B has bluetooth module built into BMS)
Inverter: -
other:

Thinking about changing my setup for better monitoring when I add in solar eventually.

Solar Panel:
Mobile Panel: 2 x 150w xplorer (rigid)
Solar charge controller: Ctek D250sa
DC-DC charger: Ctek D250sa
EHU Charger: see other
battery bank: 110ah Aventurer AGM
Battery Monitor: Vitron smart stunt 500
Inverter: n/a
other: Maypole EHU Reel ..( cable connects to fixed cable from bonnet to under passenger seat ) so can disconnect to use in either the van or tent ( cable lengths have been adjusted ie short cable on reel)

638F2E8A-C998-4851-ABEF-673775D40F67.jpeg

Last edited:
dont forget to add in your pics guys. . . . . !!!!

just go to your post and click "edit" then "attach" too add your pics :)

Solar Panel: 110w Flexible
Mobile Panel:
Solar charge controller: Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15
DC-DC charger: Victron Orion Smart 12 12 30
EHU Charger: VW oem for leisure. Victron IP65 for starter.
battery bank: Soon to be replaced oem leisure
Battery Monitor: Victron SmartShunt 500
Inverter: Bestek
other: Victron Smart Battery Sense

After taking the van apart ( AGAIN ! ) ..just to earth the CTEK and wire in a Ignition Live....Top tip...the very small red/ black cables do have a purpose...if you use an AGM battery and have a smart alternator ( stop /start) your need them...
But my BIG moment of confidence in the CTEK 250sa is that the solar input does trickle charge the service battery (van) as shown in the picture .. bottom orange light flashes every 3 seconds......so if we ever get to Busfest both my batteries will charge on solar only
:mexican wave:

0616D13D-9B25-4002-AB86-41A7CD8F0A46.jpeg

As requested by Dellmassive, this is the set up on my 18 reg 150PS Manual T6 Camper. I can't claim any real credit for it (or take the blame for it) as I bought it as a ready converted camper and subsequently had the solar panel fitted by another pro.

Solar Panel: Photonics Universe 160W Semi-Flexible.
Solar charge controller: CTEK 250SA.
DC-DC charger: CTEK 250SA.
EHU Charger: Victron Bluesmart IP65.
Leisure Battery: Leoch Extreme 110Ah AGM.
Battery Monitor: CBE (Built In) and VST 3 in 1 (Plug in).
Outlets: 2 x 12V, 2 x 240V, 3 x USB
Other CTEK MXS 5 Smart Charger

EHU is under the bonnet next to the starter battery and the main camper electrical installation and leisure battery is installed in a cupboard / black hole by the rear wheel arch. I've never tried to lift an AGM battery and so don't know how heavy they are but I'm not really looking forward to the job if I ever have to take it out as the space is a bit cramped. Happy to answer any questions as best I can.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.JPG

I believe it to be just inside the spec. Before the solar panel was was installed, I checked the numbers on the PU website for myself. Mind you, I'm also an electrical moron so I asked the guy that fitted it to check as well and he said it was OK - he also has a good rep which is why I used him in the first place.

Should I now be worried?

I believe it to be just inside the spec. Before the solar panel was was installed, I checked the numbers on the PU website for myself. Mind you, I'm also an electrical moron so I asked the guy that fitted it to check as well and he said it was OK - he also has a good rep which is why I used him in the first place.

Should I now be worried?
ask @travelvolts For confirmation!

As requested by Dellmassive, this is the set up on my 18 reg 150PS Manual T6 Camper. I can't claim any real credit for it (or take the blame for it) as I bought it as a ready converted camper and subsequently had the solar panel fitted by another pro.

Solar Panel: Photonics Universe 160W Semi-Flexible.
Solar charge controller: CTEK 250SA.
DC-DC charger: CTEK 250SA.
EHU Charger: Victron Bluesmart IP65.
Leisure Battery: Leoch Extreme 110Ah AGM.
Battery Monitor: CBE (Built In) and VST 3 in 1 (Plug in).
Outlets: 2 x 12V, 2 x 240V, 3 x USB
Other CTEK MXS 5 Smart Charger

EHU is under the bonnet next to the starter battery and the main camper electrical installation and leisure battery is installed in a cupboard / black hole by the rear wheel arch. I've never tried to lift an AGM battery and so don't know how heavy they are but I'm not really looking forward to the job if I ever have to take it out as the space is a bit cramped. Happy to answer any questions as best I can.

View attachment 69504View attachment 69505View attachment 69506View attachment 69513View attachment 69514View attachment 69515View attachment 69516View attachment 69517
I don't want to worry you about your installation and to be clear I am not an automotive electrician but I would wonder how long the top right hand fuse spade can continue to hold up the whole wiring loom like that?
There are no cable ties or P clips securing the looms so with the motion of the van the wires could eventually break off.
Please don't read this the wrong way, I am trying to be constructive but more than appreciate that it was someone elses work I am commenting on.
And if you were wondering I am an aircraft engineer to trade.:thumbsup:

Farnorthsurfer, No offence taken - good advice is always good advice and as an engineer of any kind, you're about a 100 times more qualified than me. I've now taken the precaution of putting some slack on that particular cable and fixing the loom to one of the blue cables with zip ties. There is no longer any movement in it and the weight is taken up by the mod. I'll keep an eye on it and do something else if needed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Loom.jpg

Last edited:
Back