When mine had this issue, as per above, the water gets in through the high level brake light as the seal is a bit poo.

Yes I was told this before my debacle started with the water ingress, was the first thing the dealers changed.

Had the same, the local dealership blamed the fixing of the OEM Rear Spoiler by the dealership where I purchased the van.
Ran some silicone across the top and sorted it but still a bit miffed that it shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Seems when you buy a van from a different dealer certain warranty jobs become quite tricky as they try and avoid taking the responsibility, this was one of them.

Water leaking in from high level brake light, seems to be more common than you think. My 66 plate T30 highline has been doing it for quite a while and it is presently in at a VW centre and they are telling me what I already know and that it will cost me £105 + to get it sorted. I have thrown the warranty stick at them but they are telling me that at some point the brake light has been removed and re-fitted and I have told them that that is not possible as the fitment is a once only fit item, thus once fitted it can't be removed other than breaking the item while removing it. Still waiting for the response from them.
I have recently spoken to VW UK and the customer care department and they are totally unaware of the issue regarding the high level brake light leaking water. It possibly needs more people who have had issues with water leaking in via the brake light to contact VW UK and speak to the customer care people and make this issue an issue for VW.

We had 2 vans in work that had this issue and when taken back to VW and were replaced as it was a known issue that some had been installed without rubber glands and some had glands that were found to be defective and they were being replaced (not recalled).

The service guy said it was a known VW issue but what was unknown was how many were affected.

I have recently spoken to VW UK and the customer care department and they are totally unaware of the issue regarding the high level brake light leaking water. It possibly needs more people who have had issues with water leaking in via the brake light to contact VW UK and speak to the customer care people and make this issue an issue for VW.

That’s got to be a load of BS. The amount of threads on this site alone would tell you they’re talking rubbish about being unaware.
I’d say they’re trying to fob you off. Persevere.

Just had a follow up phone conversation from where my van is at the mo and said they have ordered a new rear brake light and are going to do it under warranty.
I'm sure there are dealers that are not aware of this issue. The more people complain, it might well bring this problem to the attention of VW

They know about it’s been pretty much documented from when the T6 first come out had mine done in 2016, and was told then it was an advisory on their system.
I’d say it’s the dealers trying to BS you which dealers is it at?

Got my van back this evening, job done so now I will wait till the rain comes tomorrow so I can check all is good.
Job done under warranty but the dealership would still not accept that this is a common problem on the T6. So all being well no more water ingress.

My 3 year old T6 dripped water from the carpeted "door card" when I got it home and opened tailgate. (just washed by dealer).
I removed the rubber bungs at the bottom of the tailgate and was greeted with Noah's flood!
I mentioned it at the VW garage and they referred to the "common fault".
A new rear hi-level brake light cost me about £26 and I replaced it myself, had to break the old one to get it out but its now leak free:cool:

I always remove those bungs. Not sure why they don’t just leave them open from the factory.

I've got a 65 plate LWB T6, it has started doing this recently. Has anyone tried warranty on this outside of warranty period or am I likely to have to cough up myself?

Mines 2016 LWB T6 rear hatch offside pillar is soaking is this also because of the high level brake light? NS is fine parked level front down hill ! Rubbers seems fine!

Along with NS C post drenched seem to remember something about a leak! Thru roof bolts???

B post leaked but NS filler cap which just needed sealing on tge inside as well!.that's damp again this year damp

Can anyone shed light light on fixes?
Can the brake light just be sealed?

Sometimes wish I never got rid of my T25

Mines 2016 LWB T6 rear hatch offside pillar is soaking is this also because of the high level brake light? NS is fine parked level front down hill ! Rubbers seems fine!

Along with NS C post drenched seem to remember something about a leak! Thru roof bolts???

B post leaked but NS filler cap which just needed sealing on tge inside as well!.that's damp again this year damp

Can anyone shed light light on fixes?
Can the brake light just be sealed?

Sometimes wish I never got rid of my T25

Forgot about this post, I should've followed up. So my problem ended up being the rear spoiler. The upper brake light was replaced, still leaked eventually the dealership ran some silicone around the spoiler and job done. Didn't think spoilers were bolted on so not sure where the water was getting in but it git fixed. To be honest any dealings that I've had with my local dealership has been pretty shoddy always trying to get out of warranty issues, telling me it may have to go back to the original dealership (250 miles away) etc and always a tad arrogant.

Water leaking in from high level brake light, seems to be more common than you think. My 66 plate T30 highline has been doing it for quite a while and it is presently in at a VW centre and they are telling me what I already know and that it will cost me £105 + to get it sorted. I have thrown the warranty stick at them but they are telling me that at some point the brake light has been removed and re-fitted and I have told them that that is not possible as the fitment is a once only fit item, thus once fitted it can't be removed other than breaking the item while removing it. Still waiting for the response from them.
“Totally unaware of the issue”....that just cracked me up! How could they come out with such a brazen lie! As for the line about someone having it out before.......!!!

I have a VW Touareg V10, That leaks water in a similar way. I will have to see if there is a bung that I can remove for that.

Good tip Pauly!:)

Back