Water leak in tailgate

A few days ago I opened the tailgate to hear water sloshing round inside. When I checked the tailgate had quite a bit of water pooled in the bottom. I had rained the day before and I had just washed it.

I thought I would test it out today whilst washing. Tested round the window seal (aftermarket and not long been in) which was fine, tested the 3rd brake light which seemed fine and went round the seals. All appeared fine.

After washing I checked again to find there was water pooling in the bottom again.

I started testing different areas from the bottom up and it appears to be coming in around the handle area. Has anyone had this before? I tried to remove the handle but couldn’t quite get it out and I was pushed for time.

Does anyone have any ideas of the cause? Does anyone have a diagram of the parts? I’m not sure if there is a separate seal that can perish.

The van is a 2017 and it was bought from VW a few weeks back so there is a warranty available.
I found that water was coming in through third brake light. A bit of sealant around said light solved the problem. Much easier than removing card and faffing about.

Hi all,
I have noticed for the second time on my 2019 T6 that I have a leak on the rear door ( tailgate). It seems to be coming in from high up on the side of the drivers side. First time I noticed and checked I found debris on grime on top and around so I cleaned it and assumed that was why. However after a long drive in very wet weather I found the same leak but the surround is clean , I can't see any obvious defects in the seal but the waters getting in, I also now have the leaky rear window problems in both windows. I have the extended warranty , Is this something they could sort under the warranty ?
The only thing I am not sure about is it is not got the Kombi moniker , it was a Westbourne build that I bought used and I don't know what they ordered factory is there a way of finding this out .
Any help/advice appreciated, thanks.

All of the rubber door seals need an annual dressing with a good silicone grease to stand a chance of surviving.
As for warranty they can only say no, IMO keep the discussions to email so that you have a record and don’t take no for an answer.

Thanks for the advice will give it a go and see how it goes, plenty of rain so won't take long too find out.

All of the rubber door seals need an annual dressing with a good silicone grease to stand a chance of surviving.
As for warranty they can only say no, IMO keep the discussions to email so that you have a record and don’t take no for an answer.
Can you recommend a decent dressing?

HI all, sorry to resurrect an old thread. I had ordered the tailgate handle above from VWPartsDirect and I hadn't realised that it wasn't the part without the hole for the key, I need the version with the keyhole! Does anyone know what part number this is?! I've had the part off the van and read the number on the back of it but when I search for that part all sorts of different things come up! This is the part no I have: 7 E0 827 566 B

I have water coming in to the tailgate.
Been told it comes in where the wiring runs from the roof to the tailgate. I will investigate.

Back