eauto

Sportline 204 SWB DSG
VIP Member
Today on closing the tailgate I heard water sloshing around, on investigation I found two rubber bungs on the lower edge of the tailgate, when I removed these about a litre of water drained out. Has anyone else had this problem, and should I leave the bungs out so the water can drain?

I think there has been a few issues with water getting in at the high level brake light. I think i'd leave the bungs out until the dealer fixes it

I had the same and posted a few months ago . It was the rear brake light seal. I haven't put the plugs back in and the light seal looks ok now . You will see water marks down the inside of the glass if it the brake light .

Today on closing the tailgate I heard water sloshing around, on investigation I found two rubber bungs on the lower edge of the tailgate, when I removed these about a litre of water drained out. Has anyone else had this problem, and should I leave the bungs out so the water can drain?
Half the seal on my high level brake light dropped out when l closed the hatch. The rubber fell to bits when you rubbed it totally perished. The hatch was full of water. I have taken the bungs out and will be leaving them out. Have had a new brake light and seal fitted under warranty. I think it may be because it's red rubber. Coloured rubber never seems as good as the black stuff to me.

Thanks @Keeff and @Para J fir the info, it rained a lot today and I checked and no water running down the inside of the window. The HLBL is below the rear spoiler and the seal looks okay, I'll have another look tomorrow just in case.

Thanks @Keeff and @Para J fir the info, it rained a lot today and I checked and no water running down the inside of the window. The HLBL is below the rear spoiler and the seal looks okay, I'll have another look tomorrow just in case.
The trouble with theHLBL is you can't get it out to check the seal. No screws on the inside. You have to smash it out and then get a new one that just pushes in and snaps into place. Seems a bit stupid to me.

Anyone else have this problem. Probably went on like the attached for 40 seconds then carried on dripping.

Got the van booked in to get it checked out but not for a while, bit odd for it to do this plus any potential longer term damage. Van's a September 2017 plate so virtually brand new.

Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 19.32.07.png

Remove one of the small oval rubber bungs on the bottom lip of tailgate to allow it to drain properly
Most common cause of this seems to be water getting in around the third high level brake light but there are other causes

Remove one of the small oval rubber bungs on the bottom lip of tailgate to allow it to drain properly
Most common cause of this seems to be water getting in around the third high level brake light but there are other causes

Thanks for the advice I'll take a look and see if that helps.

Bit concerning that water's getting in the first place.

It is but unfortunately not that uncommon as mentioned the main cause seems to be the high brake light either fitted incorrectly or missing the rubber gasket to seal it to the tailgate although a few others have had it caused by incorrectly bonded glass
Don’t be tempted to remove the high level light, it’s a fit once unit and has to be smashed to be removed and requires replacing I would advise letting your dealer look at it

It is but unfortunately not that uncommon as mentioned the main cause seems to be the high brake light either fitted incorrectly or missing the rubber gasket to seal it to the tailgate although a few others have had it caused by incorrectly bonded glass
Don’t be tempted to remove the high level light, it’s a fit once unit and has to be smashed to be removed and requires replacing I would advise letting your dealer look at it

Pretty shoddy eh? Crazy that a £30k plus vehicle has this fault. As I mentioned it's booked in with the dealership so they can deal with it under warranty, I wonder if there's any potential longer term damage.

Without a doubt it’ll be the high level tailgate brake light. As infamous for leaking as the VW transporter side sliding windows. VW will however swap it out under warranty without quibble. The only way to remove it though is for it to be snapped out.

Hi, I had the same issue but I could see water running down the inside of the window while washing with a hosepipe. I sent photos showing this and water dripping from the removed oval plug hole. Dealer still wanted the van to verify, which they did, but as the high level light is a LED type (long lasting never needs replacing) it is a one shot deal and has the be broken to remove, they then had to order a new one and that meant a return visit to the dealer. Because the original fitting had to be smashed they could not determine why it was leaking. Replacement light fitting seems to have cured the problem for now.

Hi, I have also had this, the dealer has replaced the 3rd brake light fitting, so far so good.
I didn't know about the small oval rubber bungs at the bottom, will have to check along with remembering to park with the van facing down hill, to check no water will run out when the tailgate opened.

had some stupid heavy rain lately and noticed some water in the bottom of the tailgate, how do I drain it out?

Many Thanks

I never understand why they put them in. I’ve got three VAG vehicles, and have taken them out of all 3 of them.

Rather than just worry about removing it, it may be worthy of ascertains where it has got in.
My bet says it is the highline brake light. It is a regular point of failure and VW dealer won’t even question it, they will just put a new one straight in. The seal around the unit simply fails allowing water in. Doesn’t matter how hard it rains, water shouldn’t get into the panel.

Where exactly on the tailgate is water getting in? I want to keep an eye on mine.

Back