Water leak in tailgate

I've just replaced a leaking tailgate door handle and have done a video on YouTube

Basically, the seal around the outer part of the handle comes loose, allowing water into the handle and through into the tailgate.

VW T6 handle seal fault.png

New handle delivered for £50 and now all sorted

How funny - I came here to ask exactly this.

For the last couple of months, my tailgate fills with water (you can hear it sloshing) and pours out when you open it. I've just been to look at my handle and it looks like it's come away slightly.

My T6.1 is such a dud with it's various issues. Really has put me off VW.

Tail light OEM code 7E0945087F

Can you give us the handle code as well please?

If you can supply us with who you bought these from, that would be appreciated also.

Thanks for sharing.

How funny - I came here to ask exactly this.

For the last couple of months, my tailgate fills with water (you can hear it sloshing) and pours out when you open it. I've just been to look at my handle and it looks like it's come away slightly.

My T6.1 is such a dud with it's various issues. Really has put me off VW.
Don’t let it put you off, I’ve had VWs for years now, this is my first Transporter. There are four rubber grommets on the bottom (can’t remember who said) I’m going to take those out for now and contact dealer, think mine is getting in through handle.

Tail light OEM code 7E0945087F

Can you give us the handle code as well please?

If you can supply us with who you bought these from, that would be appreciated also.

Thanks for sharing.

Don’t let it put you off,
I think it's too late. I've had so many problems (awful DAB reception, undertray disitegrated, crackly Bluetooth, cruise control often disengages because "sensor impaired", often goes into a reduced power mode with the diesel coil lamp flashing, water in tailgate, SOS call often unavailble etc etc) I don't think I'll ever buy another Transporter.

Water leaks, rattles and wiring repairs aren't covered by VW extended (used) warranty. If that's what the OP has, in regards to used warranty.
So mine is a 2021 Van that was 7 month old when I bought it in July (used) so not a year old yet, I’m assuming that it should be covered??

I've just replaced a leaking tailgate door handle and have done a video on YouTube

Basically, the seal around the outer part of the handle comes loose, allowing water into the handle and through into the tailgate.

View attachment 179763

New handle delivered for £50 and now all sorted
Thanks for the video and info hopefully mine will be covered under warranty

Reactions: .50
They advised that the used vehicle warranty specifically excludes leaks and perished seals. It was the seal that perished causing the water ingress.

Not had any issues since replacing.

Looks like its certainly higher up the tailgate than the water coming through the handle would be.
That was with the tailgate lifted up. I took the little bungs from the bottom and it came out of there as well. The handle doesn’t look great TBH

Update: I’ve booked in with dealer who’s said it’s under warranty, but will confirm 100% after inspection! Let’s see what they find

Reactions: CAB
I’ve got water in my tailgate, stripped out the carpet and insulation. I think it’s coming from the light but can’t be 100% sure. So I’m going to change that first. What cost is the light / handle?

Back