Tailgate Condensation Camper Conversion

JimsT6

VIP Member
Hi All, I have a condensation problem with the tailgate. This has just happened the last twice that I have been away in the camper, it’s been fine up to last month which coincided with fitting the kitchen furniture.
When I open the tailgate the collected water pours from the two bottom corner studs holding the door card on. Both times when I got home I removed the door card and insulation and ran the dehumidifier for a day to dry it out. After the first time I used closed cell foam insulation and foil taped the edges.
Now obviously single glazed windows will collect condensation overnight with two adults sleeping in it. At first I thought it was rain water running in through the rubber cable tube grommet thing so I smeared silicone around it but nope it’s condensation.
my theory is that condensation is running down from the tailgate glass and between the inner skin and collecting at the bottom of the tailgate.

Hope I have explained myself correctly. Has anyone else had similar problems with their T6 conversion.

Thanks

Probably not this but worth checking. My factory fitted tailgate window leaks because there are gaps in the window adhesive bonding. On mine it's at the top and when I wash the van I can watch the water running down the inside.
So possibly its leaking in through the window seal down into the tailgate.

Remove the 4 small bungs at the bottom edge of the tailgate to allow water to escape and check your high level brake light for leaks. Also check the tailgate seal all the way around.
I think you are on to something with those bungs. I remember now there was ice on the top of the bumper in specific places where water had run down and frozen. I’m now thinking perhaps it hasn’t been a problem before because the weather hadn’t been so frosty on previous trips. So the holes were bunged up with ice and so the water that had run down into the tailgate just collected.
Pretty certain there’s no actual leaks as the van sits under a carport and it wasn’t raining on our trips away.

If very damp air is getting into the tailgate then it will condense on the cold outer skin and water vapour will find the smallest gaps, so it may not be a leak as such.

Maybe try insulating the outer skin but with something water won't get behind, the sound deadening stuff maybe.

But I'd work on the principle of it's going to happen so do what you can to limit it but protect things (maybe waxoil or similar the inside) and give it a place to drain

Last edited:
If very damp air is getting into the tailgate then it will condense on the cold outer skin and water vapour will find the smallest gaps, so it may not be a leak as such.

Maybe try insulating the outer skin but with something water won't get behind, the sound deadening stuff maybe.

But I'd work on the principle of it's going to happen so do what you can to.limit it but protect things (maybe waxoil or similar the inside) and give it a place to drain
Yes there’s no real way to completely seal or insulate, it’s a best endeavour fix. Think the earlier suggestion about removing the little bungs is a good idea as instead of weeping out the collected water will hopefully run out. I think it was the water freezing and blocking the tiny drains that caused the water to collect and then run out of the clips and land on my neck that gave it away.
In fairness we have rarely camped when it’s been frosty so wont cause a problem very often. Definitely a good idea to treat with cavity wax

Back