Water in rear quarter panel well

scraggs

Hi
So after owning my T6 for nearly 7 years I have finally got around to start converting it but noticed a bit of a problem.
I removed the VW lining panels to replace them with thicker panels, when I removed the lower rear panels I looked in the rear quarter panel wells and noticed the drivers side had a bit of dirt in it but was dry, that night we had a hell of a downpour and when I looked in the morning there was a small but not insignificant amount of water sitting in the well, I then set about drying it out and putting some AC50 down there and trying to find out where it has come in through, after getting the wife to use the hose on it, it appears the only place it could be coming in through is the check strap arm stay, I'm a bit reluctant to carry on until I can find a way to sort the problem but I'm not really sure how I can sort it.
It is a high roof with barn doors.
Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so did you manage to sort it out ?

I’m sure there was a post by @Grim Reaper in his build thread about filling the wells with something to ensure they drained properly.

I was going to say roof fixings (for roof bars) till you mentioned high top - do they have any channels / fixings ?

Ian

I’m sure there was a post by @Grim Reaper in his build thread about filling the wells with something to ensure they drained properly.

I was going to say roof fixings (for roof bars) till you mentioned high top - do they have any channels / fixings ?

Ian
All the other fittings appear to be on the inside of the door seals, perhaps that is why there are ventilation holes in the original VW rear panels at the bottom near the well, to help it dry out.
TBH these doors have been a pain, from new it had leaks on the door seals that took the dealer 3 attempts to fix.

Yeah, I used some two pack resin in a tube (admittedly I got it from work so may not be as easy to procure outside the industry) and with the van on a slopedownhill at the front, I filled the bottoms of the rear quarters with the resin until it was level with the drain holes. The effect being that when the van is level, any water that gets to that part will flow downhill towards the drain holes and not pool in the bottom anywhere.
The resin is made by Dexgreen
Edit to add that I found water coming in through the fasteners that hold the sliding door rail on, about waist height on the van.

Yeah, I used some two pack resin in a tube (admittedly I got it from work so may not be as easy to procure outside the industry) and with the van on a slopedownhill at the front, I filled the bottoms of the rear quarters with the resin until it was level with the drain holes. The effect being that when the van is level, any water that gets to that part will flow downhill towards the drain holes and not pool in the bottom anywhere.
The resin is made by Dexgreen
Edit to add that I found water coming in through the fasteners that hold the sliding door rail on, about waist height on the van.
Thank you, I will look into it, I had considered spraying loads of Dinitrol cavity wax in there, but there isn't a lot of room.

Back